Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #43
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambol9 View Post
What would give me the best results? I plan on full exhaust (headers to tips). Will going catless actually rob my performance? Oh btw, it would be on an ls3
I'm sorta in the same boat. I ordered ARH LT's with high flows cats and with the cat deletes, I'm gonna get the car retuned, I'm just up in the air about what to do as well.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #44
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82xx View Post
I'm sorta in the same boat. I ordered ARH LT's with high flows cats and with the cat deletes, I'm gonna get the car retuned, I'm just up in the air about what to do as well.
If you already have the cats, i'd put them on. From the tests i've seen, the HP difference between HFC's and cat deletes is nonexistant or minimal at the best. There is a sound difference though. HFC's will make it a bit quieter. I think most here would run HFC's if it weren't for the high price of them. That excludes the boosted guys because the current line up of HFC's have a tendency to melt and tear up under the pressure.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #45
Chris82xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
If you already have the cats, i'd put them on. From the tests i've seen, the HP difference between HFC's and cat deletes is nonexistant or minimal at the best. There is a sound difference though. HFC's will make it a bit quieter. I think most here would run HFC's if it weren't for the high price of them. That excludes the boosted guys because the current line up of HFC's have a tendency to melt and tear up under the pressure.
That's the other thing I'm trying to consider. I'm already boosted with a centrifugal blower, so how would that affect me then?
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #46
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
That's the other thing I'm trying to consider. I'm already boosted with a centrifugal blower, so how would that affect me then?
I'd see if ARH would take them back or put them up for sale. No sense in blowing $400 on a set of cats that most likely won't live 6 months.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #47
Chris82xx

If you don't mind pointing me in the right direction, how is it that the cats get burnt up? I don't really understand it, and I'm sure that with the methanol, it gets burnt up even more. I know with the cats, the length of the overall cat is shortened up, but isn't the material different as well to also withstand more heat?

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:08 AM   #48
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
If you don't mind pointing me in the right direction, how is it that the cats get burnt up? I don't really understand it, and I'm sure that with the methanol, it gets burnt up even more. I know with the cats, the length of the overall cat is shortened up, but isn't the material different as well to also withstand more heat?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ght=converters
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 05-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #49
sambol9

Drives: 2001 Tahoe (Hopefully camaro soon)
I plan on supercharging the car also so going catless, I believe, would benefit me more in the long run
sambol9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #50
Pay2Play

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I just had headers without cats installed this past Friday and I can definitely smell the fuel. I'm hoping that once I do a JRE tune that the smell will go away a little bit. It smells like its running really rich, but I've never had a car without cats before so I'm not sure if its going to stay that strong after the tune or not.
2010 RJT 2SS/RS LS3: LG Motorsports Longtube Headers w/ Off-Road Pipes, RX VMax Throttle Body, CAI Cold Air Intake, Borla S-Type Catback, Pfdat Stage 2 Suspension Package, ZL1 Grille, RJT Engine Cover, Black Bowties & All Lights Tinted. Tuned by JRE
Pay2Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #51
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay2Play View Post
I just had headers without cats installed this past Friday and I can definitely smell the fuel. I'm hoping that once I do a JRE tune that the smell will go away a little bit. It smells like its running really rich, but I've never had a car without cats before so I'm not sure if its going to stay that strong after the tune or not.
It will get considerably better with the tune, but it you'll still smell it from time to time. The tune will also get rid of the sound that sounds like you can hear the whole rotating assembly turning.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)