Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
GRRRSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Help! Speed Limited to 82mph

Hi

I need some help here! But basically my car WILL NOT exceed 82mph no matter how hard i step on the gas. Instead power will be cut, and a warning on the dash saying "Speed Limited to 82mph". I contacted on star and they did a remote diagnostic but found no codes. Best part was the chevy customer assistant who told me that Chevrolet Technicians said the car is programed to be limited at 82mph.

This is the first time anything like this has happened since i have owned the vehicle. In fact just yesterday i know for a fact that i had went over 85mph because somehow everyone around me was cruising at that speed.

My car is completely stock except for a Borla S Type Catback exhaust. It is also a 6speed SS.

Help!

*Please note that i do not usually drive at those speeds, but overtaking on the highway sometimes require going above the speed limit.
GRRRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
pocketcthulhu

Drives: 2014 2ss/RS 5th gen Camaro #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRRRSS View Post
Hi

I need some help here! But basically my car WILL NOT exceed 82mph no matter how hard i step on the gas. Instead power will be cut, and a warning on the dash saying "Speed Limited to 82mph". I contacted on star and they did a remote diagnostic but found no codes. Best part was the chevy customer assistant who told me that Chevrolet Technicians said the car is programed to be limited at 82mph.

This is the first time anything like this has happened since i have owned the vehicle. In fact just yesterday i know for a fact that i had went over 85mph because somehow everyone around me was cruising at that speed.

My car is completely stock except for a Borla S Type Catback exhaust. It is also a 6speed SS.

Help!

*Please note that i do not usually drive at those speeds, but overtaking on the highway sometimes require going above the speed limit.

WTF.....

if a tech told me it was limited to 82 Mph I would get arrested for headbutting him.
Sooo have you only talked to onstar? cause they are not exactly car people, just people sitting in cubes reading scripts Imo get that baby to a dealer ASAP.

And Not that I have tested it but I believe the nanny on the ss kicks in at 155 Not 82, I can vouch that it goes quite a bit past 82 mph in fact It will get Up to 88 Mph.....
Old 02-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
You can set that one. In the DIC.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
pocketcthulhu

Drives: 2014 2ss/RS 5th gen Camaro #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
You can set that one. In the DIC.
negitive, your thinking of the speed WARNING, this strikes me as something wrong with the ecm.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
I'll be up near Boston this afternoon...if you can't figure it out send me a PM and I'll scan it and see if I can figure out whats wrong.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
[QUOTE=GRRRSS;6113298]Hi

Help!

I guess, your talking about an M6 or LS3! However, the auto has 6 speed also! A6 or L99! Just trying to help you out for future references!

Hope you get your Car straightened out!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
[QUOTE=pocketcthulhu;6113307]WTF.....

if a tech told me it was limited to 82 Mph I would get arrested for headbutting him.

LMAO!!!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
dcoates18481

Drives: 2010 CAMARO RALLY YELLOW SS/RS/M6
I can verify that with the stock GM tune, the 2SS will get a message speed limited to 155(mile racing)

some of the cars slated for rental use can have the speed limited to whatever they want.
it can be programmed in to whatever you want. by GM or aftermarket tuning devices.

Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam Kit, Melling oil pump, C5R Timing Chain, Dyno Tuned by Shawn@Lethal Racing, Vararam Tuned intake, Vararam Power Wedge, LSR Tri Ax Short throw Shifter, VMAX Ported T/B, TSP 2" L/T Headers, TSP Cat delete, Borla axle back exhaust, Innovate A/F monitor, 471.7 HP/438.8 TQ
dcoates18481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
GRRRSS

SOOO i just took my car out for lunch, and the limiter is gone!!!
LOL. I dont know what happened. I called ON star, and they said there are no errors whatsoever, and even with the limiter this morning, the car still pulled strong!

Just wanted to say thanks to all your guys for your help and advice! especially mike!

CHEERS!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
steveo9043

Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS Coupe
Quote:
SOOO i just took my car out for lunch, and the limiter is gone!!!
LOL. I dont know what happened. I called ON star, and they said there are no errors whatsoever, and even with the limiter this morning, the car still pulled strong!

Just wanted to say thanks to all your guys for your help and advice! especially mike!

CHEERS!
did you buy new or used? Like stated when I rented a car in Florida my speed was limited at 82 as well. It was however built into the key and if I used the other key it didn't limit it. I don't know if this is a ford thing or a rental thing. Did you use a different key today then yesterday?
steveo9043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
GRRRSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo9043 View Post
did you buy new or used? Like stated when I rented a car in Florida my speed was limited at 82 as well. It was however built into the key and if I used the other key it didn't limit it. I don't know if this is a ford thing or a rental thing. Did you use a different key today then yesterday?
Used. But nope same key as always! I just got back from a 30 min highway run, and the car is perfectly fine again! i am not sure what threw the car in to that limited mode!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Hi

Help!

We apologize for the frustrations. I would get this checked out at a dealership for a proper diagnosis. Please let us know if you find the answer.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service