Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
Unless you work inside of onstar and you are privy to that information, you can't say they are not selling it. Just because you believe they are not, does not make it a fact.
And I can say the very same back to each and every person who believes OnStar is watching you pick your nose at a stoplight.

I'm sorry, liquidsmoke, I'm not going to debate this topic with you any longer. You and a few other believe what you want to believe without much evidence, and that's fine (the bit about opinions and whatnot)...all I ask is that you please don't begin bringing it up everywhere you post on the site. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #30
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Have I discussed this in a thread that was not specifically about this?

You can believe what you like also, I don't see any evidence that you speak of that says they aren't either. I dont think you understand why people are pissed. It's not that they are or are not selling it. It's not that they are saying they are going to do this. It's that no one trusts them. If you do, that's fine. But I don't. For me personally, the sticking point is that I'm not a subscriber to the service. This should have absolutely nothing to do with me. But it does, and for some reason you think that's ok.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #31
Don57
Drives a beast!

Drives: Yellow 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke
Unless you work inside of onstar and you are privy to that information, you can't say they are not selling it. Just because you believe they are not, does not make it a fact.

And I can say the very same back to each and every person who believes OnStar is watching you pick your nose at a stoplight.

I'm sorry, liquidsmoke, I'm not going to debate this topic with you any longer. You and a few other believe what you want to believe without much evidence,
Here is the evidence.

Now can you guys please stop harrassing liquidsmoke and stay on topic? Thanks.

Don57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #32
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don57 View Post
Here is the evidence.

Now can you guys please stop harrassing liquidsmoke and stay on topic? Thanks.
I see a perfectly clear and acceptable privacy policy. (And yes, I read the entire thing, word for word)

I also apologize for contributing thread-jacking. On-topic...haven't there been several other threads in the past detailing how to remove the OnStar module?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #33
Don57
Drives a beast!

Drives: Yellow 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrenthus View Post
Bluetooth is part of Onstar, if you pull the onstar box you lose BT. You might be able to just disconnect the antenna, though, but if you love BT and hate Onstar, your bets bet is costar/bluestar.
With everything I've managed to find so far, it looks like this Bluestar thing is the only real solution. Hmmm...

Don57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #34
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
There are other threads about removing onstar, and I've read all them, but like I was saying a few post back they are all confusing and not consistent.

Some say it's located in the trunk, another thread says it's behind the glove box, another one says it's behind the head unit, and yet another one says just to pull a fuse, with someone replying saying the fuse thing dont fully work.

And no pictures of any of it, so I don't even know what I'm looking for once I do start pulling things apart.

I was just hoping this thread would settle that and we could get to the bottom of where the parts are located in the camaro and the best way to disable them.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #35
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue10CamaroSS View Post
call them up and tell them you do not want them to collect your data

Unless the Data Connection to your Vehicle is deactivated, data about
your Vehicle will continue to be collected even if you do not have a
Plan. It is important that you convey this to other drivers, occupants,
or subsequent owners of your Vehicle. You may deactivate the Data
Connection to your Vehicle at any time by contacting an OnStar
Advisor.
You will gain .2 seconds and 2 mph on the track with Onstar deactivated, Onstar slows your car when exceeding 100 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
Wrap your camaro in aluminum foil.
On my way to Walmart for tons of it. I am definitely getting a Mustang 5.0 after reading this crap. Those chrome Camaro SS don't have this issue, trust me.

This thread should be called,"BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU".
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #36
Mr. Wyndham

Or..."L99CAMA2011 keeps posting after himself"
Old 09-22-2011, 12:08 AM   #37
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
think new world order, revocation of privacy, abrogation of constitutional rights...we just stepped a stinky pile of dog doo doo
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 AM   #38
cmore

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
From the discloser statement:

may share the information we collect with law enforcement

Doesn't say that if legally required but may at their discretion they may share. If requested by a warrant, I understand.

or other public safety officials,

Who are those? Wonder why is it even included.

credit card processors
Wonder why credit card processors need speed and location information.

I bought the "Safe and Sound" plan for my safety not so they could keep and share information that is not directly releated to that concept.

I guess If I want that plan, I have to accept little brother. So I probably will not renew. I have survived 49 years of driving w/o it, guess I can live a few more w/o it.

Several years back a car rental company added extra charges to the car renter because the renter speeded or went out side of the area.
With state governments wanting more of our $'s, who knows what would happen if they could get their hands on the gps location and speeds. We already have stop light and speed cameras being used as a $ source.
cmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #39
SS_Matt
permagrin

Drives: 2012 LS3 SS/RS
Has anyone found a way to disable OnStar?
Preferably without losing bluetooth?

I know people are getting annoyed with this topic, but just thought I'd bump this... surely there are a few Chevrolet technicians who have some insight on this forum... Anyone?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #40
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Matt View Post
Has anyone found a way to disable OnStar?
Preferably without losing bluetooth?
I believe you can unplug the GPS and Onstar antennae connetions, but leave the box in place. I'm not 100% on that, though.
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #41
SS_Matt
permagrin

Drives: 2012 LS3 SS/RS
Yea I've seen people guessing or theorizing, but wondering if anyone knows for sure...

Saw a video where someone disabled it (it was posted on here) and the dude said something about disabling cellular communications or something. Not sure if he meant the communication between OnStar and the car or if he was referring to bluetooth...
Old 09-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #42
Stevea361

Drives: 2011 v6 1LT
In my opinion, There is no difference from what they where doing before, just now they are going to share your driving habits anonymously to third parties. Quit freaking out. The already share your info with police and emergency vehicles thats part of safe and sound.

Tags
onstar