Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Vararam, Kooks, SLP UDP, 160 stat and FlowMaster Dyno results inside!

Well my brother MBAcamaro SS just got done getting his L99 Dyno tuned at StraightLine Performance in New Lenox Illinois. The Base run with the "Vararam", 1 7/8 Kooks w/ catless mids, SLP underdrive, Flowmaster catback and a 160 stat mods was 366 and 385 on a FAT AFR of 11.6! thats a ratio for a boosted car LOL! after the tune it picked up a few with a final number of 371 hp and 395 ft lbs! NOt bad concidering it was on a Mustang DYno! The weather around here was 43* with a windchill of 36* (come on summer).
Although the Vararam looks nice and cleans up the engine bay I really dont think that its all that hype others mention. Please dont get me wrong im not bashing it but its right there with all the other CAI kits out there. Thats just my .02 cents from a nobody.

Here is a video to enjoy and maybe he can post up his dyno sheets later.
What do you guys think?

2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.

Last edited by litle88; 03-25-2010 at 10:05 PM.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
mbacamaross

Drives: 2020 6.2 sierra 2022 zl1 camaro
hey guys,
well i did the dyno, tune,, im happy with results dont get me wrong.. but i was a bit disppointed with the vram unit.. IM NOT BASHING, its my 2 cents.. its a good unit.. decent unit.. good looking unit.. i had absolutely no problem with install besides loose radiator that was fixed with a long 4 inch bolt... other than that no surging or bucking..
headers look and sound great..and nice hp gain... flowmaster...man it sounds mean with those headers...
finally with the tune i can squeal those tires in 1st and 2nd!!! and with the tq management gone, this car now feels like its ready to kick some A%$,,
i also deleted the afm, thank god it got rid of that awful drone in 2nd / 3rd gear at crusing..

very happy with car results. i think i got a good and decent package for this summer.

thanks guys! at STRAIGHTLINE PERFORMANCE ( http://www.1320hp.com ), THEY DID A GREAT JOB and i like the fact that they explain everything to you and listen to your thoughts,,and they are hilarious to hang around with tooo! ,if your around illinois area i HIGHLY RECOMMEND giving them a call!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Out of curiosity, you did the fuse pull and battery disconnect, right?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
mbacamaross

yup.. actually left for over a day without the fuses ans bat. disconnect... i did the fuse pull after the cai install and after the headers install, just in case.. why do you ask?
Old 03-25-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Out of curiosity, you did the fuse pull and battery disconnect, right?
Do you mean after the dyno tune?
If so what would be the point.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:15 AM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I was curious because of it being the L99 and the problems with the gas. I saw the dyno #'s and thought it would have been a tiny bit higher. I'm in the LS3 and have nearly the same mods and ran higher numbers. granted, it's teh LS3, but I was at 421tq/413hp. Primaries are 2"....and the fact it's an LS3. But, it's pretty close L99 to LS3 wise. That's all...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:25 AM   #7
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I was curious because of it being the L99 and the problems with the gas. I saw the dyno #'s and thought it would have been a tiny bit higher. I'm in the LS3 and have nearly the same mods and ran higher numbers. granted, it's teh LS3, but I was at 421tq/413hp. Primaries are 2"....and the fact it's an LS3. But, it's pretty close L99 to LS3 wise. That's all...
But his is tuned and on a mustang dyno, yours was a dynojet wasnt it?

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #8
mbacamaross

Yeah i was also buttdynoing @ 380-390ish..lol But remember guys that mustang dynos are more stingie with numbers than a dynojet..maybe the dynojet is closer to the numbers on my buttdyno lol
im content overall... Now researching future mods... IF ONLY CAMMING AN L99 would be easier!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 02:20 AM   #9
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Did you happen to do a baseline ZERO upgrade run?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:00 AM   #10
mbacamaross

No baseline run @ zero upgrades. I figured about most l99 (stock) here that have dynoed did bout the same +/- 8 horses depending on weather, alt, n wether a mustang or jet dyno was used....( remember mustangdyno are more conservative) So i figured i let tunner do a baseline on mods, then let him do his magic on fuel etc etc..i wanted him to get more time on pulls figuring my car out...
Old 03-26-2010, 03:43 AM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbacamaross View Post
No baseline run @ zero upgrades. I figured about most l99 (stock) here that have dynoed did bout the same +/- 8 horses depending on weather, alt, n wether a mustang or jet dyno was used....( remember mustangdyno are more conservative) So i figured i let tunner do a baseline on mods, then let him do his magic on fuel etc etc..i wanted him to get more time on pulls figuring my car out...
I understand the time/$$ issue. It would just clear up some things since all dyno's read a little differently. Since end numbers aren't as important as increase from baseline, I just figured that would show the actual increase. If you go by the "typical" 335whp, you only gained 36whp and the headers would be the lions share of that.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
sales@vararam.com

Drives: 2010 camaro
Mustang Dyno's typically dyno about 10% "LOWER" than a Dyno jet dyno.

Stock L99's usualy see 315-320 rear wheel hp on a dynojet dyno.

VR Tech
sales@vararam.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
mbacamaross

remember you are goiing by typical (dynojet) 335whp, i did a mustang dyno which typical power is at +/- 315rwhp. so my gains are around 56hp, i say about +/-30hp on headers about +/-20 on v-ram and about +/-6 on pulley/catback combined.
i say +/- because everytime you would dyno your car you would be off a few horse due to weather conditions, your car, anything can affect it at any given day.
so thats why a base line FOR ME would be safe to say would be between 310-315 depending on day, weather and calibration of dyno... it was not a money issue but more of wanting STRAIGHTLINE PERFORMANCE to do as many pulls as possible for my tune, that was basically it... i knew in the back of my mind what the l99 can do. and i had this phrase ringing in my ears also...

dyno numbers are for show, and track times are for the dough!

-author unknown

i found this after reading differences between dynojet and mustang dyno.

i really just take the numbers in to get an idea of power rhp is just not the only thing for me.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
mbacamaross

@ patrick... hey the guys at the shop are big v-ram guys, and loved your unit... me too!
the cai is great.. NICE HP GAIN, THRU OUT RUN.no bucking and no surging... and the engine bay looks NICE! people can see my wires, and headers easily... gooood job guys...

LITLE88 HAS MY GRAPHS, hopefully he will post sooon..

hey any discount for a cai unit for my 2004 silverado SS