Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-20-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
ZL1Memphis

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Question BA Head unit+JL HD600=Flat sound but Loud

Better to have JBL MS8 Digital Processor or change out speakers. Because even when I added the amp sound got louder and a little better but still sounded like an AM station. Know I started out right with the HD600 but where should I go from here. First thing I always used to change was the Head Unit but got the 2013 ZL1 satnav and would like to keep it if I can. JBL Unit is like $650 would rather not unless it is worth it. Thanks for the help
ZL1Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Memphis View Post
Better to have JBL MS8 Digital Processor or change out speakers. Because even when I added the amp sound got louder and a little better but still sounded like an AM station. Know I started out right with the HD600 but where should I go from here. First thing I always used to change was the Head Unit but got the 2013 ZL1 satnav and would like to keep it if I can. JBL Unit is like $650 would rather not unless it is worth it. Thanks for the help
Also dont forget we cannot remove the 13's unit because they tied half the car functions into it..
door behavior lock behavior lighting.. etc..

we are stuck with mylink.

I too am looking for options on how to make the stock system sound much better.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
Have you done speakers? I put in the JL XD400/4 with stock speakers and was VERY disappointed at my newly louder muddy sounding system Speakers brought the whole thing to life.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpope2003 View Post
Also dont forget we cannot remove the 13's unit because they tied half the car functions into it..
door behavior lock behavior lighting.. etc..

we are stuck with mylink.

I too am looking for options on how to make the stock system sound much better.
This is 100% incorrect. The car functions have ALWAYS been tied into the radio interface. The Metra and Scosche kits (and the new Kenwood units) are able to properly interface with those systems and allow you to change those functions as required. You are not "stuck" with MyLink.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
This is 100% incorrect. The car functions have ALWAYS been tied into the radio interface. The Metra and Scosche kits (and the new Kenwood units) are able to properly interface with those systems and allow you to change those functions as required. You are not "stuck" with MyLink.
Got any links on that... no audio guy in town will touch my 13 as they said it breaks all my functions.

I'll be happy if that's true but even the best shop in town doesn't want to mess with it.
same as the Infinitis.
530/520 SAE
Old 02-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Quote:
http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/ins...stallation-kit
same with the Metra.

Both kits only address the climate controls.
NOT the rest of the stuff they tied into the 13s mylink panel.
there is now an entire menu that controls the cars behavior now. locks, lights, remote unlock behavior, "no lock out" etc.

none of this stuff will touch that.
530/520 SAE
Old 02-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Memphis View Post
Maybe I can help you by explaining exactly what it is that the MS-8 does, then you can figure out if it is worth the money.

The MS-8 does several things. The MS-8 takes the signal from the head unit (factory or aftermarket) and "corrects" the signal to a flat EQ curve. This "corrected " signal is supposed to be a much more accurate representation of the original music.

The next thing the MS-8 does is it provides time alignment. The time alignment allows you to manipulate the timing of individual channels. Through millisecond delay intervals, it allows the sound of all of the speakers to reach your ear at the same time, which creates a surround sound experience. The MS-8 actually then goes a step further to slightly slow the front a little to make it sound like the music is coming from your windshield. In the sound quality world, having the music coming from your windshield is the preferred location.

Next, the MS-8 provides a 31-band EQ as well as multiple electronic crossovers for you to manipulate the sound as you want. Due to step 1 and step 2 above, you will be applying your EQ to the corrected signal, and not the factory signal. This allows you to tailor the sound better to your ears.

As a side note, you can turn off the surround sound (Logic 7) and time alignment/auto-EQ features of the MS-8 if you want.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
Old 02-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

here is a shot from my car management panel.
Attached Images

530/520 SAE
Old 02-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Quote:
http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/ins...stallation-kit
same with the Metra.

Both kits only address the climate controls.
NOT the rest of the stuff they tied into the 13s mylink panel.
there is now an entire menu that controls the cars behavior now. locks, lights, remote unlock behavior, "no lock out" etc.

none of this stuff will touch that.
Since you OBVIOUSLY did not actually read the manual, let me help you out. Pages 7 and 8 cover all of the car features. Again, all of those functions have ALWAYS been tied into the radio. They also retain all your steering wheel controls. Tell your local shops to start reading.

http://www.doubledmods.com/uploads/GM5201B_SglPg.pdf
Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Quote:
Since you OBVIOUSLY did not actually read the manual, let me help you out. Pages 7 and 8 cover all of the car features. Again, all of those functions have ALWAYS been tied into the radio. They also retain all your steering wheel controls. Tell your local shops to start reading.

http://www.doubledmods.com/uploads/GM5201B_SglPg.pdf

Awesome thanks for that.
I was not aware and only going with what 4 different shops told me.

I will print it and shove it in their face

Now what headunits are great with Android these days.
last one kinda sucked but it was older with no bluetooth.
530/520 SAE
Old 02-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Quote:
Awesome thanks for that.
I was not aware and only going with what 4 different shops told me.

I will print it and shove it in their face
Good luck. Audio shops can be snide at times, especially when they think they know everything and then you show them they are wrong. Hopefully, this will help you get that MyLink head unit replaced (if that's what you were looking for). Also, sorry if I came across as being a jerk. I hate seeing disinformation on these forums and I really just want to help everyone have all of the information they need to make informed decisions.

Last edited by darkrider01; 02-20-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: I might have been a jerk.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Quote:
Good luck. Audio shops can be snide at times, especially when they think they know everything and then you show them they are wrong. Hopefully, this will help you get that MyLink head unit replaced (if that's what you were looking for).
yeh we hate the stock unit we came from a much higher end setup in my 03 Infiniti coupe.
Memphis amps,, Pioneer head, Bose highs and mids, and an L7 kicker.

No worries I come off strong in print as well.
530/520 SAE
Old 02-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #13
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

Drives: 2010 L99
ZL! memphis . please stop and dont buy anything else, I am guessing you live near or around memphis. I work at fedex I can save you a ton of heart ach. and trouble... give me a call870-317-1727 and we can get together sometime so you can hear mine. I am getting a MS-8 from a member as soon as taxes get here. but my car for the most part sounds great as it is. factory head unit, JL audio slash 300/4 v2 bridged on the front 2 channels pushing a set of Herts 165XL high energy. Rear channel going to be changed out. polk 6x9momo components. runing of a JL audio 360 amp. amp is also going to get changed out. ya can pop in what ever music you like and crank it up. I have to set a bunch of differant songs treb,base, mid range on the radio completely differant. this is were the MS-8 will come into play + JUST WAY BETTTER... I should have went with the amp you have now or the hertz 4 channel 150 rms amp. I went to soundwaves by wolf chase and demoed some C5's and C3's and then the sals guy asked if i wanted to hear something else. I said sure. then he turned on the Hertz speakers in this little room and they just blew my mind on how clear they were... Of corse they had their own little special room and all. but I was still suprised. I am doing the MS-8 ASAP then 1 amp to power front and back. then a sub. your more than welcome to check my so far so good great sound system oyt if you would like.. + I can tell ya who to give a ring for some good prices on some hertz or the C5's or 3's if ya want...

Mitch, hey I can drool on your ZL! wile you listen to my sterio lol...
mgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
ZL1Memphis

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Goodbar bought the HD600 at same soundwaves. Saved on the Amp but gave a little on the Stiger connectors. Ok buddy there matched price ABT had incorrectly listed on the amp. Someone at JL must have called them because later that night the amp was back up to $200. Should have got 2. Sounds like you have checked some of the things I wanted to hear, and I gladly would listen to what you think. I did hear that the Hertz are the best, but was just trying to match. Saying that just want the best SQ possible even if I have to wait a while to buy each component. Not rich lot of brown bag lunches to get the ZL1 but totally worth. Sometimes I think to myself radio just roll down the windows and listen to that. Vroom Vroom.
ZL1Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote