Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-17-2012, 01:48 AM   #1
mdrobtx

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Victory Red
Disconnecting battery?

What preset info do you lose, if any, when disconnecting the battery?
Bluetooth? All the settings you use your radio to set up?

1968 Coupe and 1967 Vert

mdrobtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #2
BaldCamaroStud
Camaro Owner & Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Probably depends on for how long... I had my battery disconnected for 2 full days during a car show and all I had to do is re-index the windows. If you're gonna disconnect for an extended period, a lot of people will tell you to get a battery tender.
BaldCamaroStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
It all depends on WHERE you disconnect the battery. As Diehard was talking about, he disconnected his battery for a indoor show (I was at the same one) and we had to disable the starter by disconnecting the battery, which you can do UNDER THE HOOD. IF you disconnect it there, you will lose nothing, in fact you can still run all your lights, play the radio, lock and unlock your doors, everything. NOW, if you disconnect the power AT THE BATTERY in the back, as in take the battery out kind of thing, you will end up losing all your settings on your radio, but you will retain everything in your phonebook.

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 04-17-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Yeah, I disconnected my battery overnight (10-12 hrs) when I had an issue with my CAI and the fuel trims. After reconnecting, I had to reset the radio--- time and stations......my voice and phone settings were kept. The computer did the rest when it ran for awhile.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
mdrobtx

I want to pull the steering wheel bezel and disconnect the airbag. So, disconnect the battery at the under the hood point?

1968 Coupe and 1967 Vert

Old 04-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
For winter storage purposes. I did a negative terminal disconnect where the battery is located in the trunk.
after rehooking up here is what I lost.
obviously power everywhere was shut off.
be careful with the trunk, don't shut it fully as powerbuttons for trunk opening won't work.
window indexing.
re-set time on clock
(I did not have any radio stations preset)
compass had to recalibrate itself.
I can't recall if my phone book was intact..sorry.
but that's about it.

Last edited by '11 cyber grey vert; 04-17-2012 at 09:23 AM.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobtx View Post
I want to pull the steering wheel bezel and disconnect the airbag. So, disconnect the battery at the under the hood point?
NO.....to do that you need to TOTALLY kill power to the car.....so you will need to disconnect the power AT THE BATTERY. otherwise you would still have power at the steering wheel and considering what you are going to do, you don't want power to teh wheel, or if you do something wrong, it could go off on ya....and thatwould RUIN your day.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
I disconnected my battery for 6 months for storing it and the only info i lost was I had to reset the time and tire pressure guage and the compas had to calibrate. I DID NOT have to reindex my windows or reset my preferred stations or bluetooth or anything.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
It all depends on WHERE you disconnect the battery. As Diehard was talking about, he disconnected his battery for a indoor show (I was at the same one) and we had to disable the starter by disconnecting the battery, which you can do UNDER THE HOOD. IF you disconnect it there, you will lose nothing, in fact you can still run all your lights, play the radio, lock and unlock your doors, everything. NOW, if you disconnect the power AT THE BATTERY in the back, as in take the battery out kind of thing, you will end up losing all your settings on your radio, but you will retain everything in your phonebook.
Huh when I discounted the battery under the hood from the positive terminal I had to re index my windows and also all my stations got cleared
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
RADAR

Drives: 2012 2SSRS/M6 SIM
Re-index your windows? I don't have my ride yet but what do you mean by re-indexing?
RADAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
mdrobtx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
NO.....to do that you need to TOTALLY kill power to the car.....so you will need to disconnect the power AT THE BATTERY. otherwise you would still have power at the steering wheel and considering what you are going to do, you don't want power to teh wheel, or if you do something wrong, it could go off on ya....and thatwould RUIN your day.
Ok. That's what I needed to know. Thanks Sir Duke.
Michael............

1968 Coupe and 1967 Vert

Old 04-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobtx View Post
Ok. That's what I needed to know. Thanks Sir Duke.
Michael............
ahhhhhh its Sir NUKE......not Duke...lol bt your welcome.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
BryantS87

Drives: 1985 Chevrolet, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardBattery View Post
Probably depends on for how long... I had my battery disconnected for 2 full days during a car show and all I had to do is re-index the windows. If you're gonna disconnect for an extended period, a lot of people will tell you to get a battery tender.
I totally agree with you..
The same thing happened with me
Old 04-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #14
yellowz
TREMEC6060 1-2 needs fix

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayrchris View Post
Re-index your windows? I don't have my ride yet but what do you mean by re-indexing?
When I had a cam and headers done on my 2011 2SS the battery was disconnected for a day or two, (or three). I had to reset the windows by lowering them down all the way, and then all the way back up. The message came up on the center digital info display between Speedometer and Tach. And I had to do it for passenger and driver side, twice for each. That was to calibrate the windows for open and closed door. The windows drop down about half an inch when you open the door, and then go back up when you close it. They have to figure out how much to lower and raise and save those settings in the Body Control Module, (BCM). The BCM is like the ECM, (Engine Control Module), it's a dedicated computer that controls all the body stuff not related to engine and power train, like the air conditioning and lights, and door locks and so on. I lost all radio station settings, but it kept my bluetooth phone connection. I have no idea why, maybe some things, like Bluetooth, are burned into eeprom and others, like radio station settings, just into regular RAM that erases when it loses power.