Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
Fast/Furious
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Anything special to know when installing exhaust upgrade?

Hey guys.

I have a friend who works on older cars and I asked him if I bought the exhaust upgrade from Chevy performance if he could install it he said yes but he worries about it being effected by the ECM etc.

Is there any worry or is it simply uninstall one put the other?
Fast/Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
LSXaddict

Drives: 1ss in Blue Ray Metallic
Could you specify what 'exhaust upgrade' you're reffering to?
Old 11-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Cut off the old and weld/clamp on the new.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
if you're buying from ChevyPerformance i would guess that they wouldn't send you something that's not going to fit or work properly, but then again...

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Witchdoctor92

Drives: 2012 1SS Black with white rally str
As long as it is a cat-back or axle-back system, it should not affect the ECM.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Panthor373

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS A6 vert
Here's what you need to know about exhaust on our cars.

1. Long tube headers will make you the most power (20-40 HP on an SS), amp up your exhaust note slightly and will require a professional dyno tune to make the most gains and reset your O2 sensor light. Short tube headers won't give you much of anything (5-10 HP maaybe)
2. Catbacks will give you 5-10 HP and will effect your sound the most drastically and dynamically depending on brand, doesn't require a dyno tune
3. Long tubes and high flow cats will require a tune and will almost always give you heavy and bassy cabin drone from 1000-2500 rpms compared to stock. This is because the accoustics of the original x-pipes and mufflers were sound engineered for noise cancellation.

The way around this would be to custom fab some J pipes after you install and figure out what rpm your max drone is at, one capped j pipe for each exhaust pipe.

Basically it depends how loud you want the inside of your car to be, whether or not you're naturally aspirated, and whether you're going for power gains or aethetics. Personally, I've run headers and experimented with different catbacks in the past but since my car is a DD, choose now to run only headers on stock exhaust. Sounds like a beast at WOT and keeps me sleeping from the cops when I don't feel rowdy ; )

Personal preference and goals are all it comes down to. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
your talking about these? http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=92206992
you just cut your mufflers off with a sawzall or exhaust cutter and clamp on the new mufflers. easy. just dont cut off to much
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast/Furious View Post
Hey guys.

I have a friend who works on older cars and I asked him if I bought the exhaust upgrade from Chevy performance if he could install it he said yes but he worries about it being effected by the ECM etc.

Is there any worry or is it simply uninstall one put the other?
As long as you don't mess with your exhaust manifolds, catalytic converters, or oxygen sensors, your computer will never know the difference and your warranty will stay intact. You start messing with your catalytic converters or anything in front of them, you will likely end up with a check engine light and will have to get a tune to get rid of it and a tune will void your warranty.

You didn't mention whither you have a LS3(manual) or L99(automatic). If you have a LS3, just put whatever you want on it. Stay behind the catalytic converters and you're good to go. If you have a L99, you will need to disable AFM or be very careful on your exhaust selection. If you disable AFM with a tune, again, your warranty will be voided. But you can disable AFM with a Range device and keep your warranty intact. Hope this helps.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote