Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
TECHNO'S TOO BRIGHT??? WHAT !!!

I had a guy I work with stop me today and told me my new tail lights are "annoying", says he was following me the other morning in the rain and it was dark out before sunrise, was on my way to work and he said when I put the brakes on and the tails flashed like they do and come on steady,, they blinded him and he couldn't see the back of my car at all!!! Lit up the entire roadway in front of him, and I said cool,,,gues the technostalgia LEDS are bright huh...He said that he thinks they are illegal, and if they aren't, they should be cause they are blinding, also said maybe it was cause it was raining they were bad. Anyone else had anyone be negative about the brightness??
Old 02-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I've never had anyone say anything. Too bright can be blinding if you stare, but I have only had this problem stopped at a light behind a car with super bright stop lights. Didn't bother me while stopping though as I am looking at a lot of things while pulling to a stop. I don't think these stoplights are over bright from a distance though. They are DOT legal. Minimum brightness is one of their criteria. Don't worry about it.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I think hes a bit dramatic. Ive followed a few Camaros in a Camarovan to shows that had them and they aren't too bright at all. They are distracting but in a good way when they flash.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #4
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
That's ridiculous, I imagine Dodge's "Racetrack" LED's are considerably brighter than your tail lights and they are a factory setup

Sounds like that driver behind you is having a bad day and needs something to complain about. Maybe he's a Broncos fan?

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
SSMKNU2

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
My friends have told me mine are really bright, but I just shrug and tell them I'm glad I have their attention!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2015 Red Hot ZL1
I know mine are bright and actually added tint to them to tone it down a bit. I just removed the tint as sometimes it looked cloudy at shows so am back to bright, I like bright.
LnLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
Believe it or not, DOT has a high-end spec for brightness, too!
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Yea thanks guys, I guess I got his attention, and I like how bright they are, make you look and PAY attention to what's going on in front of you..lol..
Old 02-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #9
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmautoprod View Post
Believe it or not, DOT has a high-end spec for brightness, too!
And since you mentioned this spec, what might that be, and do these Technostalgias fall in the spec. Thanks..Love them..
Old 02-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #10
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
They are bright for sure - it's the rapid fire that makes it seem worse though.

I turned that feature off on mine as I'm not a fan of that at all
Old 02-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #11
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
I had a guy I work with stop me today and told me my new tail lights are "annoying", says he was following me the other morning in the rain and it was dark out before sunrise, was on my way to work and he said when I put the brakes on and the tails flashed like they do and come on steady,, they blinded him and he couldn't see the back of my car at all!!! Lit up the entire roadway in front of him, and I said cool,,,gues the technostalgia LEDS are bright huh...He said that he thinks they are illegal, and if they aren't, they should be cause they are blinding, also said maybe it was cause it was raining they were bad. Anyone else had anyone be negative about the brightness??
Yes, tell him.........they are indeed bright!

If you sit there, and stare at them like an idiot that is.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #12
sjmautoprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
And since you mentioned this spec, what might that be, and do these Technostalgias fall in the spec. Thanks..Love them..
DOT docs seem to say 360 candelas on the high-end for a two-compartment tail lamp like the Camaro has.

I can't comment on those tails being in, or, out of spec. Contact the manufacturer for details.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:09 PM   #13
AnUnarmedMan

Drives: 2013 LS
They are the best way to keep people's eyes on the road and not on their cell phone. I was rearended in August so I bought these and now people dont tailgate me anymore. They are supposed to grab your attention. I try to be considerate and not tap the brakes a million times, but it's unavoidable some times. Stay safe and rapid fire on!!!!
Old 02-03-2014, 11:15 PM   #14
sjmautoprod

I think anything to help people see us stopping is good. Several in my local car club, and, myself, have been rear-ended already.