Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
bbboomer54

Drives: Loving my ZL1
Extra coats of Clear Coat for ZL1s?

Can those with the connections to GM ask them to put an extra coat of Clear Coat on the ZL1 (and all Camaros) so that we can feel confident about wet-sanding. I want a finish like the one that is going around to the shows right now. You know they are not going to come off the assembly line like that. We deserve to have a finish like that on our cars.
bbboomer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Let me call Scott up, he'll take care of it.

Seriously though, to have a show finish on a mass produced car would add at least 4 grand to MSRP
Old 07-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Let me call Scott up, he'll take care of it.

Seriously though, to have a show finish on a mass produced car would add at least 4 grand to MSRP
Plus 2k dealer markup
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbboomer54 View Post
Can those with the connections to GM ask them to put an extra coat of Clear Coat on the ZL1 (and all Camaros) so that we can feel confident about wet-sanding. I want a finish like the one that is going around to the shows right now. You know they are not going to come off the assembly line like that. We deserve to have a finish like that on our cars.

And believe me, you don't want the same finish as the ZL1 show car that was debuted in Chicago. I'm not sure who was responsible for cleaning the thing, but the clearcoat was in pretty bad shape in some areas, really scratched up. One of the worst areas was around the ZL1 badge on the hood. It looked like someone took a scotchbrite pad to it, WTF?!?
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm surprised by some of the finishes I've seen from GM lately. My car in particular, seemed very dull and the orange peal immediately jumped out at me. There were some circumstances that contributed to the dull finish, I'll admit, but it hasn't been only my car. Perhaps it was the plant it was manufactured or something else that I'm not thinking or know about, but it just seems there'd be a better finish considering the technology. In the end, it just takes a little more finess to get it to glow, and that's not that big a deal to me.

As far as special paint - I just don't get the feeling this topic is very flexible at this plant because of it's flex-line. Admittedly - it doesn't seem like adding a couple more layers of clearcoat would be that bad, however, considering it would take probably either multiple passes through the paint shop, additional rebots to apply the clear for ZL1 after the current stations, or something else I'm not even considering. The more I think about it, and contrasting that with what I've learned about the Paint Shop, them more complications I realize - and I'm not even close to an expert...

Good idea - not going to happen :(

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
You could also take it brand new and get it cleared and wet sanded. There is a guy around here that is well known on the forums that said his shop would clear and wet sand a new car to a show car finish for $1500-$2000
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
1981DFA

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrenthus View Post
You could also take it brand new and get it cleared and wet sanded. There is a guy around here that is well known on the forums that said his shop would clear and wet sand a new car to a show car finish for $1500-$2000
That's what im considering having done when i get the ZL1! Then im going to go and put a clear bra on the front of the car and over the gill area to protect from rock chips!!
1981DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981DFA View Post
That's what im considering having done when i get the ZL1! Then im going to go and put a clear bra on the front of the car and over the gill area to protect from rock chips!!
^^^ THIS ^^^

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981DFA View Post
If you get a clear coat put on you need to wait 60 days before you put ANYTHING on the paint, as it needs time to cure.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
bbboomer54

"Seriously though, to have a show finish on a mass produced car would add at least 4 grand to MSRP"

I'm not asking for GM to provide the show-quality finish. I'm asking for them to put enough clear coat on at the factory so that it can be safely wet sanded and still have some left for years of waxing and polishing.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #11
1981DFA

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
If you get a clear coat put on you need to wait 60 days before you put ANYTHING on the paint, as it needs time to cure.
Im aware of this but i that is what i want to do. It will more than likely sit in the garage for the most of those 60 days anyway.
1981DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Ok just for you, I called the GM Exec to make sure there are at 5 coats or clear. But he wants to know if you are really serious about buying the ZL1 or just getting your finger exercises in for the day. Also added that the Z06 and ZR1 buyers are a lot more "deserving" of extra coats but he will work with ya.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #13
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
How much are you willing to pay for better paint?

If the car cost that much more than a Mustang, would you have bought it?

Let's ask all the other owners whose cars go through the same factory.

Let's ask the guys who aren't on Camaro5 these same questions. Now, since they'd all have bought Mustangs instead, let's deduct every non-enthusiast and every enthusiast who does not prioritize paint from Camaro sales. Suddenly, GM isn't selling so many Camaros.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #14
bbboomer54

For you skeptics. I have the money all set aside to buy a ZL1 so drop the attitude. Second read the post CAREFULLY ... I'm just asking for a heavier coating of clearcoat. I'm not asking for them to give me a better finish. I want to wet sand the car to get the finish that I want. And I don't want to compromise the paint or be left with a thin coat of clear coat. Not so much to ask. Seems to me that they adjust the time through the line along with changing the timing of the robots. Not a big cost factor. Just programming parameters. Why do people have to be such dicks on this forum?

Tags
wet sanding high gloss paint