Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 03-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
Mods for 4th Gen..

Okay well I need your guys help by suggesting some modifications out there I could possibly buy for my Z\28.. I have a lot on my Camaro and running out of ideas of things to buy for it besides expensive things such as turbos or a supercharger for it.. Also I want all throttle no bottle.. So I already decided nos is a no.

Things I have so far:

Flowmaster Exhausts
Cold Air Induction - K & N
MSD all around of course (including wires)
Platinum spark plugs - not much but hey I'm running out of ideas
Performance chip
2 inch cowl hood
performance shocks
Z rated brand new Goodyear tires

I even replaced everything else on it that doesn't really have anything to due with performance but just to keep the car in tip top shape.. Brand new octi spark distributor (ouch 500 dollars 2 days ago, but I needed it), brand new water pump, brand new ac compressor, about to get re painted bright cherry or blood red.

So anyone have any other ideas of mods I could buy?.. Anything under $1500 I'd probably go buy this weekend lol. Post pics\links\advice if you could, thanks!

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:23 AM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Nothing...save your money for the 5th Gen.

Unless you absolutely have to buy something...in which case, I'd suggest headers.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:06 AM   #3
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
Okay there are many ways to go here. I would suggest along with Tag some headers. Go with shortys for an easy install, but if you want power go with long tubes. They run anywhere from $400 to $1200 depending on materials, quality, etc. Ditch the Flow(choke)master exhaust and go with something else The Flowmaster design for the fourth gen actually flows worse than stock. Go Magnaflow for a similar sound or if you want to be heard, SLP Loudmouth. Cat-back systems will run you anywhere from $350 to about a grand.
One thing I noticed is that you didn't list an airfoil as one of your mods. Get one. It's a little piece that attaches to the front of your throttle body and makes a world of difference in the quality of air entering your engine. They're cheap (less than a hundred bucks) too. Also look into replacing your intake elbow. The stock one is extremely restrictive.
If you are looking for big power down the road look into a nice heads/cam combo to throw on top of there. That's where the money's at when it comes to making power.
Basically look for ways to make your engine breathe better. Otherwise just hang on to your money and save it for a 5th Gen.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I can't tell if you have an auto or stick, but if you have an auto, go with at least a PI Vig' 2800 stall. After stalling it, it will be a totally different animal.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
Thanks, & yeah its a automatic. I'll look into everything you guys listed. Don't worry Tag I'll still be able to get a 5th gen

If anyone else has any ideas let me know! thanks again

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
BADENUF

Drives: 1990 Chevy Camaro RS
I see you upgraded the shocks, but I would recommend some Eibach 2" lowering springs. This made my '95 Z28 handle like no other.
BADENUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
Bowtie Guy Z28

Drives: 98' Z28 08 CC Z71 2010 SS/RS
I got my bonus on friday and couldn't wait any longer!!!! This is everything I got for my Camaro and I'm hoping it will make a decent difference.

I also ended up getting the smooth bellows and TB bypass. I was really debating between LT Headers and the LS6 Intake but decided to go with the Intake because I'm hoping it will be easier for me to install.
Bowtie Guy Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #8
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFSNightrod View Post
One thing I noticed is that you didn't list an airfoil as one of your mods. Get one. It's a little piece that attaches to the front of your throttle body and makes a world of difference in the quality of air entering your engine. They're cheap (less than a hundred bucks) too.
where can I find this Airfoil? I though they didnt make them for the LS1, Ive seen them for the LT1's.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Guy Z28 View Post
I got my bonus on friday and couldn't wait any longer!!!! This is everything I got for my Camaro and I'm hoping it will make a decent difference.

I also ended up getting the smooth bellows and TB bypass. I was really debating between LT Headers and the LS6 Intake but decided to go with the Intake because I'm hoping it will be easier for me to install.
Um...YEAH!!! It'll make a difference...you WILL notice the power increase! Have fun!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #10
Bowtie Guy Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Um...YEAH!!! It'll make a difference...you WILL notice the power increase! Have fun!!!
Thanks buddy and I appreciate your advise you gave me a couple weeks back!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #11
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
the things you listed... you have bought them already? flow master catback systems for the 4th gen honestly suck balls and they sound like crap in comparison to anything else.

heres what mine sounded like with stock manifolds, gutted cat, and magnaflow catback

View My Video

View My Video

and with hooker LT's and a 3" ORY

View My Video

what brand of spark plugs did you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFSNightrod View Post
One thing I noticed is that you didn't list an airfoil as one of your mods. Get one. It's a little piece that attaches to the front of your throttle body and makes a world of difference in the quality of air entering your engine. They're cheap (less than a hundred bucks) too. Also look into replacing your intake elbow. The stock one is extremely restrictive.
the airfoil doesnt do a world of difference. sorry, but all it does is help smooth out the airflow going thru your throttle body. its good for MAYBE 1-2 hp at the wheels...MAYBE. regardless of what the websites claim. and dont spend more than 40 bucks on them. they arent worth the money people charge. actually if ur willing to wait a couple weeks, im going to be selling my air foil as im upgrading to a 58mm throttle body and wont need it anymore.
the elbow, you can either get a 1LE style or you can modify your own by removing the "donkey dong" the long black resonator/silencer tube coming off the elbow and putting a shampoo lid in the opening.

you can also de-screen your Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) and seafoam your car.

also, when you put the new shocks on, did you get new springs as well? you dont have to get lowering springs, but if you do, you will be hard pressed to get revalved shocks as your stock-height shocks will wear out in about 20k miles with lowering springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
where can I find this Airfoil? I though they didnt make them for the LS1, Ive seen them for the LT1's.
there is no LS1 airfoil as the LS1s have mono blade t/b's and the LT1/tpi's have a dual blade, tho there are monoblade t/b's for the LT1s.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #12
Bowtie Guy Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
Ebay....do a search under camaro and then Air Intake systems or throttle body. I was looking at one but decided against it because I can't see going to a bigger TB and having something that is taking up the extra mm I paid for.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #13
Bowtie Guy Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post

there is no LS1 airfoil as the LS1s have mono blade t/b's and the LT1/tpi's have a dual blade, tho there are monoblade t/b's for the LT1s.
Hey Spike are you sure about that? I could swear the one I was looking at last night was for an LS1.

I'll see if I can find it.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #14
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Guy Z28 View Post
Hey Spike are you sure about that? I could swear the one I was looking at last night was for an LS1.

I'll see if I can find it.

yeah, they do make a bowl shaped bellow that goes in there, but it doesnt split the air like it does with the LT1s. but you are better off just to polish your t/b instead.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote