Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > V8 - Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons, Tuning Equipment

Old 03-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #15
NickJRE

Drives: Nothing Fun.
Catted Long-tubes is the best option. The Shorty Headers really haven't produced any gains, besides looks and some weight savings.
NickJRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #16
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
I think getting shorty is a personal choice. I installed them on my car. I want to show the car verses Go and keeping a warranty on the drive train. Long tubes as far as I know void your drive train (engine) warranty. If you’re not worried about the warranty then long tubes it is.
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #17
NickJRE

Drives: Nothing Fun.
Long tubes don't automatically void the warranty...Dealer discretion, some could void the warranty over shorties.

If your doing it just for the show, shorties are a great option especially ceramic coated.
NickJRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #18
Stay Marine
Still love daily drivin'

Drives: Built '10 IBM 2SS; '15 Black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunerider View Post
You have the long tubes?
Sorry, they are shorties...assumed that's what we were talking about
Old 03-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #19
Stay Marine
Still love daily drivin'

Drives: Built '10 IBM 2SS; '15 Black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJRE View Post
Catted Long-tubes is the best option. The Shorty Headers really haven't produced any gains, besides looks and some weight savings.
Yep, you will never get the same ummphh from shorties...plain and simple. Nor will you get the same gains the vendors claim (18HP FROM shorties...).

Knowing that, and know I care more about passing emissions than 15-20 HP, I went with shorties (and $260 for the SS option). So getting 9hp and 15 tq was reasonable.

I am sure most tuner's will disagree, but there is still a noticable punch after the install....but it isn't huge; you can just notice it. I already had HF cats, and X-Back exhaust, so the tone of the exhaust was just slightly deeper from where I sit. Others said they could notice a change.

At the end of the day, HF cats were the best return on investment for me...netting just over 20hp to the wheels.

I chose shorties to save emissions, ease of install, cost, and convenience; not for raw HP gains..cant touch LT headers...even crappy ones
Old 03-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #20
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Damn!! Long tubes.......And the cats?
Let me twist your arm a little more, BBK includes high flow cats with their LT's.

It took less than two hours to do the LT install, dyno pulls (6, 3 before/3 after) and install the CAI.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #21
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
Quote:
Long tubes don't automatically void the warranty...Dealer discretion, some could void the warranty over shorties.

If your doing it just for the show, shorties are a great option especially ceramic coated.
Well then I've learned something new. I was under the impression from all of the posts I have read that long tubes meant getting a tune. A tune voids the warranty. I wish I would have know before I got the shorties that that was not the case.

Last edited by wrbear; 03-15-2011 at 05:57 PM.
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #22
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Quote:
You're not really comparing apples to apples. How would Shorties and high-flow catted midpipes compare to catted LTs?

That's what I'm doing for a variety of reasons, but I do expect some reasonable horsepower gains.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #23
FSUCamaro

Drives: 2011 Summit White LS
Quote:

So you can get LT w/o a tune, but the emissions would still most likely void the drivetrain part of the warranty? that sound about right?

MY Build: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160486
FSUCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #24
1FAST SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Marine View Post
Yep, you will never get the same ummphh from shorties...plain and simple. Nor will you get the same gains the vendors claim (18HP FROM shorties...).

Knowing that, and know I care more about passing emissions than 15-20 HP, I went with shorties (and $260 for the SS option). So getting 9hp and 15 tq was reasonable.

I am sure most tuner's will disagree, but there is still a noticable punch after the install....but it isn't huge; you can just notice it. I already had HF cats, and X-Back exhaust, so the tone of the exhaust was just slightly deeper from where I sit. Others said they could notice a change.

At the end of the day, HF cats were the best return on investment for me...netting just over 20hp to the wheels.

I chose shorties to save emissions, ease of install, cost, and convenience; not for raw HP gains..cant touch LT headers...even crappy ones
I agree. I went with Shorty headers with Hi Flow cats also. The cats are the real HP gainer. I went with shorty headers to keep my warranty. In the future I will go with LT to get the HP, but for now the shortys work for me.

CAI Cold Air Induction, ADM Race Scoop, Apex Washer Bottle Kit, Vengeance Racing Kaotic Cam, DOD/VVT delete and LS3 conversion, American Racing LT Headers, American Racing Headers Off Road pipes, Borla S-Type Catback, FTI Billet Triple Disk 3600 rpm Torque Converter, DSS Aluminium Drive Shaft, AAC Plasma DRL's, Showstopper LED Sidemarkers,Carbon FIber Bow Ties, 35% Window Tint, Llyod's Floor Mats, JBL MS-8 Sound Processor, 2 Alpine PDX-1.600, Alpine PDX-4.100, JL Audio C5-650, JL Audio C5-650x, Alpine T10 Type R Shallow Mount, Stinger Dry Cell Battery
1FAST SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #25
coptzr
Resistance is futile

Drives: Anything thats fast
I had the Doug Thorley shorties and the GMPP touring mufflers for awhile.No real gains using the ole "Butt-Dyno" and not much more exhaust note. I then installed SLP LT's w/cat's and man what a difference. Great tone and good power gain and never even had to tune.No SEL either. Just my 2 cents....
Edelbrock CAI
VMS stage 2.5 cam kit
SLP LT's, no cats
NPP muffler's w/x-pipe
Tuned at Vector Motorsports
606 RWHP and 567 RWT
Black 1LE 10 spokes.
Hotchkis drop springs.
coptzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #26
10SIL2SSLS3

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2SS LS3
I got a barely used set of JBA 1812SJS Silver Ceramic Coated Shorties for sale. Less than 400 miles.All hardware and new gaskets included! $420 shipped to lower 48. PM if interested.
10 Silver Ice LS3,Inferno Orange Int, Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers w/High flo-cats,Vararam,Vmax TB,160 T-Stat,Flowmaster AMT Cat-back,TSP Underdrive Pulley,Granatelli Wires,Hurst Short throw,Mike Norris Motorsports Tune,3.91 Gears/Built Diff by RPM Transmissions Anderson IN,SLP SS badging with rear black-out panel. 409.7 RWHP 461.0 RWTQ
10SIL2SSLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #27
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

Drives: 2010 2SS White
Quote:
I bet but what about smog.... ....And did you have to tune?
You have six years to smog in California so most just keep their stock systems.....
Jason7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #28
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

Drives: 2010 2SS White
In all honesty the shorties are not going to come anywhere near a LT header. In the ass dyno or on a true dyno, doesn't matter.... I know a lot of us are talking about emissions issues but if you buy a complete header back system, catted or uncatted and save all your stock stuff your golden. If you were to even get a state ref ticket (pain in the ass, i know) all you would need is the stock system put back on and the ticket signed off after a visual inspection. I don't see why you would even think about going with shorties, its not a 1500 silverado..... Let's not even discuss the torque differences...

Jason
Jason7 is offline   Reply With Quote