Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
kjd15
Finally!!

Drives: '10 2LT Summit white, '68 Camaro
If you plan on moving out in 2 years, after college, how are you going to pay your bills if you spend your savings on a car?
kjd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #16
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLethal 360 View Post
Hi im only 18 years old and im gonna blow all my money on a camaro What would you guys do if you were 18 and you yourself, earned enough money to buy a 2010 camaro. But not the base ls one, just a nice 2LT with some extra options.
From a mother with an 18 year old son...

'Buy the car now and stay with Mom and Dad as long as you can. They LOVE having you home and since you're the youngest and your older brother already flew the coop, I want you to stay in the nest with me FOREVER!'.

If you don't want to be 'that kid'...save your money, move out on your own and get the car later

Anna
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #17
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_bank_robber View Post
From a mother with an 18 year old son...

'Buy the car now and stay with Mom and Dad as long as you can. They LOVE having you home and since you're the youngest and your older brother already flew the coop, I want you to stay in the nest with me FOREVER!'.

If you don't want to be 'that kid'...save your money, move out on your own and get the car later

Anna
Oh lordy, don't even get me remembering my mom when she went through 'empty nest'. I'm the youngest so was the last to leave.

OP, you have PLENTY of time. Evaluate things for awhile (see: life) before you make your decision. If you choose to buy the car, don't blow everything on it. It's always good to have just-in-case money.
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #18
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
If I knew then what I know now and I had 30k? I'd buy a house in this market. Houses are so friggen cheap right now it's stupid. That is unless you want to move to another state when you graduate.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #19
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss-rs
I was 19 when at bought my first z28. No regrets but now that I am 44 I would say save your money.
Silver Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #20
BRKLYN
Account Suspended

Drives: 98 C-5, Chev/Venture, VTX1300
your gonna buy a Camaro. But the real problem is, can you buy the insurance.
BRKLYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #21
springerpete
Orange GM freak

Drives: 2004 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
If I knew then what I know now and I had 30k? I'd buy a house in this market. Houses are so friggen cheap right now it's stupid. That is unless you want to move to another state when you graduate.
I agree with this answer but I would buy the house anyway. Live in it for 4 years and fix it up with the extra money. Rent the extra rooms out to other college students to help pay for the house and expenses. Use the extra rent to replenish your savings and get a head start on your future.

After you graduate buy yourself a new Camaro with all of the goodies available. Then you will be able to afford the one you really wanted.

If you get a girlfriend in the mean time, make her pay rent. Seriously.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #22
TekkGuy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS/A6/Sunroof
I look back, and I'll say if I was 18 now, I would be salivating to purchase the Camaro if I could. But, I also know that I've always been an over analyzer, practical and made sure that I didn't dig myself into a hole. This is an expensive car, and I know that even if I had the money to buy it outright, I would also have to think about insurance, maintenance, gas costs, and god forbid, if something happened that needed fixing (not under warranty kind of stuff).

Plus, at 18...I was still (relatively speaking) new to driving. I would never trust myself with such an expensive high HP RWD car on the road. Even with almost 2 years driving, I didn't have enough experience driving to feel comfortable driving such a car. If it were me, I would get a nice car, but something more practical. Especially if you are going to college. Other kids won't have expensive cars usually, they have ones that were hand me downs or such, and they will not be as respectful in parking lots. Flinging doors open, banging into your car. Or having kids coming out of class and finding them sitting on your car, or leaning against it, probably scratching it with whatever metal buttons or studs are on their jeans, etc. Not to mention, bad enough insurance would be really expensive at your age (assuming you are male), if you ever have to go through insurance for any reason, your rates will sky rocket.

Eventually the decision is yours of course. But like I said, I've always analysed decisions from all angels...and these are the things I think of. So for me, I would save the money in the bank, use only what I need to get a nice practical car, and even though I could buy it outright, I would finance at least some of it knowing I could easily pay it off. Because it will help build credit history under your name, which you have little to none at your age.

That's my $0.02... HTH

-Tekk
Old 01-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #23
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
Oh lordy, don't even get me remembering my mom when she went through 'empty nest'. I'm the youngest so was the last to leave.

OP, you have PLENTY of time. Evaluate things for awhile (see: life) before you make your decision. If you choose to buy the car, don't blow everything on it. It's always good to have just-in-case money.
LOL

I'm tellin' ya...this empty nest thing is for the BIRDS! hehehe

(I couldn't resist)
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #24
camaroMSUfan

Drives: 2SS/RS Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN View Post
your gonna buy a Camaro. But the real problem is, can you buy the insurance.
very true...its all about making memories. Im 18 as well and if u can afford it and the insurance then go for it!!!

Borla S-type exhaust
tinted windows
Kicker CVR 10" subwoofer
Planet Audio 400 watt amp
Custom Built Box for amp/sub
Cold Air Inductions C.A.I
camaroMSUfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #25
Rockies4

Drives: PT Cruiser 02
Stay at home and finish college.

Save your money for when you need to move out for that career location.

Remember to also build up your resume at the same time by getting certificates of completion, so you can be competitive.

It's brutal out in the job market, so plan for the long run.

Rockies4
Rockies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #26
XLethal 360
2LT/RS Summit White

Drives: 2010 SW 2LT/RS
insurance is very affordable because it'll be rated under my mom, i have another older vehicle under my name
XLethal 360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #27
2010Camaro2LTRS
$4,000 To Go!!!

Drives: 93 Z28
im 18 as well, i was goin to buy a 2010 camaro as well, i have enough but then i met a girl who i like very much and the second that happened, my camaro was no longer the most important thing in my life. Ill be getting my camaro as soon as college is over so i can get a 2ss rather than a 2lt which i was originally gonna get. I say wait because with things are going right now with this economy and things, something will come up and it could ruin the whole camaro experience for you. You could also buy a 4th gen and mod the crap outta it, exhaust/headers, stuff like that. Gotta love the sound of a loud v8 screaming down the street. I would no lol.
2010Camaro2LTRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #28
xBlackout_Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Cyber Grey
A 1LT RS will do you much better than a 2LT, i'm 16 and it was an amazing choice. Theres no need to blow extra money on a regular 2LT, 1LT RS will be everything and more!
xBlackout_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote