#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Photos | Videos | Renderings

AWE Tuning

Old 10-07-2015, 04:22 PM   #85
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Think it would be much easier for an auto driver to suck at driving a manual than a manual driver sucking at driving an auto.
They could fall asleep from boredom...
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #86
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerls1 View Post
Torque gets you there, horsepower keeps you there
Old 10-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #87
tuckermaclain

Drives: 2016 Cadillac ATS-V coupe
Torque by itself is nothing related to how fast a car accelerates. It is a static measurement of force. Just like when you stand on a scale it shows the force of your body on the scale but it does no work. What people really mean about torque, is that a high-torgue engine can produce higher horsepower at a given RPM because the torque is in the numerator (on top) of the power equation, as is distance (which is related to RPM). Power is everything. It is how fast you can do work. It is a dynamic measurement. Power at any RPM is proportional to the torque produced at that RPM. When guys talk about wanting torque, they really mean that they want HP at low RPMs.
tuckermaclain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:57 PM   #88
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
I'd rather try and fail repeatedly than say "oh, it can't be done" and never try.

Raced plenty of "fast auto's" ... Not one beat me because of my driving.... Power/weight is king while traction is the treacherous vile queen pulling your strings. sorry... Been watching way to much GOT lately.

If you like the auto then that is fine but don't think it's going to save you from an equal car with stick with some of the folks that know how to bang gears.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:16 PM   #89
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by obzidian View Post
If you like the auto then that is fine but don't think it's going to save you from an equal car with stick with some of the folks that know how to bang gears.
I'll bite.

Sure...in a roll race I can agree.

But that doesn't really hold true in a drag race on a good prepped 1/4 mile track with modern automatics. Take a look at this C7 fast list: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...fast-list.html

One manual out of the top 12 results (spot #12) has squeeked out a high 11 second run. All of the 11 before it are automatics, and have ran as low as 11.3. If there are any drivers out there good enough to bang out another .6 of a second to catch up to the automatic's times, I'd love to see it.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:57 PM   #90
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I'll bite.

Sure...in a roll race I can agree.

But that doesn't really hold true in a drag race on a good prepped 1/4 mile track with modern automatics. Take a look at this C7 fast list: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...fast-list.html

One manual out of the top 12 results (spot #12) has squeeked out a high 11 second run. All of the 11 before it are automatics, and have ran as low as 11.3. If there are any drivers out there good enough to bang out another .6 of a second to catch up to the automatic's times, I'd love to see it.
Agreed.

I'm an admitted magazine numbers guy. And, I have no delusions of being a drifter, race car driver, or drag racer.

Pretty sure the numbers are proven at this point. For anyone serious about drag racing the "new" automatics pretty much smoke any human With a manual. It's technology and as most everything else the tech has surpassed human capabilities. There is also the consistency an auto affords. It doesn't screw up whereas we do! Hate missing shifts.... It's embarrassing.

Same can be said on the track..... While there are talented individuals who know what they are doing (like Probst) who might sneak out a faster time with a manual. News flash..... None of us are Probst.

Of course the heat issues could sway a decision and could pose a problem for those plan to track their cars.

The only debate here is personal preference. The new auto's are faster.... tech has improved to a point that it's the human piloting that is the problem.

It's only a matter of time before Google (or tesla/Apple) preps a self driving car that can consistently beat a human around a racetrack in an equal car.

Edit:
Now that I think about it. This is precisely what they (self driving cars.... Totally off topic) need to attempt. Once they can prove the tech on a racetrack they may be able to sway public perception. As it stands I am pretty sure the public sentiment about self driving cars is highly skeptical.

Last edited by GTIanZ28; 10-07-2015 at 10:28 PM.
GTIanZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:54 PM   #91
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by obzidian View Post

Raced plenty of "fast auto's" ... Not one beat me because of my driving.... Power/weight is king while traction is the treacherous vile queen pulling your strings. sorry... Been watching way to much GOT lately.

Only time I can see it happening now is possibly from a roll. From a stop not gonna happen.

BTW...what are your thoughts on the dyno numbers? No comment? Underrated?

Its showing around a 10% loss like a lot of other cars talked about as being underrated these days.

Starting to look a lot like a pattern man...drivetrains are simply more efficient now.

Just thought I would remind you of our previous conversations
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:28 AM   #92
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Anyone who thinks a manual can be just as fast as a auto in the 1/4 need only to look at the LS1 bolt on fast list. Maybe 8 manuals in the top 50. No car on that list has more than stock LS3 power either so its not like they have too much power to handle. If there was such a thing as a human being able to out drive a properly set up auto it would have shown up by now as its only been about 18 years. Its not just shift speeds that a manual driver has to deal with its torque multiplication and shift recovery. No manual is going to have the same torque multiplication off the line and then flash stall speed after the shift that a properly set up auto has. Anyone who says otherwise is on a ego trip.http://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racin...1-77-bump.html
Old 10-08-2015, 02:29 AM   #93
Denmanman4

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Did anyone else notice the video or article was from September 13th for the 0-60.... Wonder how it took so long to be found?
Denmanman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:09 AM   #94
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
im so surprised that this thread turned into an auto vs manual debate
Old 10-08-2015, 06:32 AM   #95
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
im so surprised that this thread turned into an auto vs manual debate
C'mon, it isn't a car forum if there aren't multiple I4/V6 vs V8 and auto vs manual (maybe toss in a couple sun roof vs convertible!) 'discussions' derailing at least three or four threads!

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:35 AM   #96
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denmanman4 View Post
Did anyone else notice the video or article was from September 13th for the 0-60.... Wonder how it took so long to be found?
I wondered the same thing.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:10 AM   #97
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
C'mon, it isn't a car forum if there aren't multiple I4/V6 vs V8 and auto vs manual (maybe toss in a couple sun roof vs convertible!) 'discussions' derailing at least three or four threads!
Now we just need somebody to start bringing up the Mustang and reference the good doctor.
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #98
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Hey guys did the LS3 fifth gen hit 60 in first? I cant remember but I thought the SS manual did 0-60 all in first but I may be wrong

Now I know this is an Auto 6th gen. I wonder if the LT1 manual will be able to hit 60 in first where the auto hits seconds in this video.

Btw that looked pretty damn fast. Starting to drool more and more over thes new SS
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote