Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty 6 View Post
Sure did. I get that there was a price increase. However I have no idea why a dealer would actually accept the additional money or why a customer would pay the additional money, knowing they were "price protected" and should not have to pay the additional money. Maybe I am missing something in the explanation. The guy orders it on monday, the price increase happens on tuesday, the order is accepted on wednesday, he takes delivery of the car friday. All day wednesday and thursday the guy complains about the price increase and the dealer says don't worry you are price protected, you are only going to pay $32,000 for the car. On friday the dealer collects $32,410 from the customer. The following wednesday the dealer cuts the customer a check for $410. How did the dealer do the right thing again?
Most likely because the dealer actually had to pay the increased price and "file" with Chevy for the "refund". If the dealer paid the original cost I see your point but I don't think that's the case. IMO, I wouldn't mind waiting for the money if the reality is that the dealer is waiting for it too.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #16
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by trm0002 View Post
Most likely because the dealer actually had to pay the increased price and "file" with Chevy for the "refund". If the dealer paid the original cost I see your point but I don't think that's the case. IMO, I wouldn't mind waiting for the money if the reality is that the dealer is waiting for it too.
I did that job in the accounting office for a dealership. I don't recall ever writing a check back to a customer. I do remember having to call GM a few times to get the money. I just don't see checking the "exceeded expectations" box on the form. They merely adhered to the agreement previously established.

I just hate it when I stand by my word, even if it is my mistake and it costs me money, and then if a vendor of mine or someone I am dealing with screws up and they don't stand by what they agreed to. There should be a Poopy pants smiley face.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #17
YenkoSC

Drives: 1967 Camaro RS/SS, 1969 Camaro
Sweet! Re-invest that money in the Camaro.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #18
jdurhan

Drives: 2017 SS 50th Conv., 2016 Siverado
How does this price protection work ? I ordered a new GM built car in December and the msrp has dropped since then by 2200.00. My car is built and being shipped now, I believe I should get the new lower msrp, don't you think?
jdurhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #19
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ART-2008 View Post
Here's my story:

Ordered my car from a dealer I like, who did not have an open allocation. The car arrived and was delivered the day befrore Thanksgiving. During my wait, Chevrolet had a small price increase ( and bumped delivery fees from $795 to $850 ). During the wait I complained to the New Car Sales Manager about the price increase. He said "No Problem, you are price protected." I later found out part of the reason for the increase was the addition of the back-up sensors. He still insisted, "You are price protected". My car is a 2SS (non-RS) with Rallye Stripes.

List Price at Delivery: $35,065.00
GMS Price at Delivery: $32,782.36
-$500 GM Buy Back: $32,282.36

My dealer (John Bowman Chevrolet, Clarkston MI) called last week to say come on in and get your check. I stopped in today and was given a check by the dealer marked "Price Protection Allowance" for $410.55. Apparently I also got the sensors for free.

Timing is very important. I think the price increase has to occur after your order is ACCEPTED by Chevrolet (not simply after you order the car if Chevrolet hasn't accepted the order yet). Note: My salesman told me another customer with a V-6, who ordered around the same time, also got a refund.

My refund check was issued by the dealership, thus the refund must be sent directly to the dealership. Having read numerous "horror stories" about unscrupulous dealers, I wonder how many other site members never got the refunds they deserved.

Love the car...........Love Chevrolet....................Love my dealer!
I played Bocci Ball and had dinner with some friends last weekend. John Bowman was in that group. Very nice individual.

Great that you got that check too.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #20
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
NICE TO HEAR CUSTOMERS PRAISE THEIR DEALERS

I want to say it is great to hear positive comments from members about their dealers.I believe that the economic times will bring out the best in many business owners whom will strive to please and retain their customer base.Unlike the past, shrinking customer base will create greater competition.Those that will survive will have gotten it.Those who have not will learn the power of the individual and the internet and what affect it will have on their business in the future.It's no more tell you neighbor,tell your friends,tell your relatives.The internet reaches out really-really far.That is a good thing!
buzzy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #21
ART-2008

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro 6M, 2005 Lotus Elise
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurhan View Post
How does this price protection work ? I ordered a new GM built car in December and the msrp has dropped since then by 2200.00. My car is built and being shipped now, I believe I should get the new lower msrp, don't you think?
Two points:

1) What vehicle did GM DROP the price $2,200.00?
Are they bringing back the Aztek?

2) In my opinion, the most relevant question is not how much the MSRP dropped, but how much the dealer's cost dropped. You and the dealer entered into an agreement which the dealer felt would allow him to remain in business. If, for example, MSRP dropped $2,200 but dealer invoice only dropped $2,050, I believe the dealer should adjust your cost down $2,050.
If both numbers are equal, you should be entitled to the full $2,200.

This should be a win-win situation for you and the dealer. His profit margin is protected, and you save over $2,000! If the dealer does not feel this way, I would walk away. Tell him you want to reorder the exact same vehicle [at the new lower price] either from him or ANOTHER dealer. Most states allow you to a full deposit refund as long as you do not accept delivery of the vehicle. Check with your local Better Business Bureau.
ART-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote