Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Blountatv

Drives: Camaro 2ss L99
Apex or Elite catch can?

Since the Apex can is on back order should I wait or just get the Elite? Car is not being driven much so I guess there is no big rush. I was considering the Apex is why I am asking
Blountatv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
nyadk5thgen

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6 JRE cam & tune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blountatv View Post
Since the Apex can is on back order should I wait or just get the Elite? Car is not being driven much so I guess there is no big rush. I was considering the Apex is why I am asking
Elite is very nice quality IMO
nyadk5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
My question is: Are catch cans worth getting? Are the necessary? And to confirm, i don't need to mod anything else by adding a catch can correct?

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
My question is: Are catch cans worth getting? Are the necessary? And to confirm, i don't need to mod anything else by adding a catch can correct?
They are definitely worth getting if you care about the longevity of your engine. Do a quick search on here and check out some of the pics of all the gunk that is being caught in people's catch cans. Nothing else other than the Catch can is needed and can be easily returned to stock if you wish.

I suggest going with the Elite so you can get one on the car asap. Every mile you drive without one is more gunk in your intake track. We have been using the Elite Engineering catch cans on our own cars and on our builds for years. They are very nice and well engineered. Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Blountatv

Drives: Camaro 2ss L99
Does the elite have the fittings so you can use braided lines? If so do you sell the fittings and braided lines for this system?
Blountatv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
Thanks!

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
If it were me I'd wait for the Apex can. I have one on my L99 and it's awesome. It even catches more than my RX did. Plus the build quality is awesome. And it's expandable... You decide to supercharge it? bam! Just add another An fitting and your good.

Quote:
Ummm yea I'd say they're totally worth it.

This is oil that was caught in the course of about 1500 miles. So you can figure that much oil would have been recirculated into my intake manifold in only in 1500 miles.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
Pharmaro

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS
I wish I had bought a catch can earlier! The amount of oil mine (Apex) collected just after a 300 mile trip makes me cringe at the amount that blew through the past 11k miles. It's definitely not a performance mod but more of a peace of mind mod for me. In turns of manufacturer, I'd pick a quality can such as Apex, Elite, or RX (if you don't mind the wait) over one of those eBay ones.
Pharmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #9
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Looks like Apex got a bunch in today. Just saw a picture on facebook.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
2011Black2SS

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
They are definitely worth getting if you care about the longevity of your engine. Do a quick search on here and check out some of the pics of all the gunk that is being caught in people's catch cans. Nothing else other than the Catch can is needed and can be easily returned to stock if you wish.

I suggest going with the Elite so you can get one on the car asap. Every mile you drive without one is more gunk in your intake track. We have been using the Elite Engineering catch cans on our own cars and on our builds for years. They are very nice and well engineered. Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Have you had any hands on experience with an APEX Catch Can? I would wait for an APEX can simply because of the the overall quality and scale factor for future mods with it. There are multiple ports for both dirty and clean side along with all the hardware that it comes with for a quick detach and clean out (takes less then 5 minutes to remove it from the car). Don't forget the fact that you can take the internals completely out to clean also. The APEX can is much larger then the Elite can also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blountatv
I would wait for the APEX can since your car isn't being driven much. Saw on Facebook today that they just got the new run back from the machine shop so it shouldn't be but a few more weeks before they are back in stock. I am very happy with mine and I am glad I waited for the APEX can as this was one of the few mods I was wanting to do to my ZL1.
2011Black2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Black2SS View Post
Have you had any hands on experience with an APEX Catch Can? I would wait for an APEX can simply because of the the overall quality and scale factor for future mods with it. There are multiple ports for both dirty and clean side along with all the hardware that it comes with for a quick detach and clean out (takes less then 5 minutes to remove it from the car). Don't forget the fact that you can take the internals completely out to clean also. The APEX can is much larger then the Elite can also.
The better CC's all perform about the same. You can't say one WORKS better than the others. If YOU like the way it looks and mounts, then its purely opinion. Not everyone is planning to supercharge their cars but it is something to take into account when you're buying one. It's also one of the more expensive ones, which is also a consideration for many. The Elite can is very nice and a bit cheaper. The Mike Norris can is also very nice and is considerably cheaper.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Quote:
You can't go wrong with the Elite. The fit and finish is second to none from the ones I have seen in person. As for the Apex can, I think it looks really nice and would probably have considered it at the time I had purchased mine if it would have been available. I have ordered other stuff from them, such as the cold air scoop and have been very pleased with the build quality.

Quote:
I was not a believer in the beginning until my buddy pulled off the upper hat on his LSA CTSV. His blower was loaded with oil to the point the dealer warranted the blower. After I put my supercharger on my car I figured for the cost why not get it. I had already invested so much money in my car... what was the big deal spending a couple hundred bucks if it could help my engine. After 800 miles I was shocked what it had collected.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Black2SS View Post
No I have not but it looks to be a nice unit. I'm not big on the bracket, but that's just my opinion. I was simply stating that there is no reason to wait when there are great cans that are available today.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
2011Black2SS

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
The better CC's all perform about the same. You can't say one WORKS better than the others. If YOU like the way it looks and mounts, then its purely opinion. Not everyone is planning to supercharge their cars but it is something to take into account when you're buying one. It's also one of the more expensive ones, which is also a consideration for many. The Elite can is very nice and a bit cheaper. The Mike Norris can is also very nice and is considerably cheaper.
I never stated that one works better then the other as I have had no personal experience with any but the APEX can. What I do like however is how simple it is to take apart and clean. The build quality of the APEX can is fantastic too. Price us a concern for some people, but considering the OP was looking at buying an APEX can already, I didn't factor in price as a option.
2011Black2SS is offline   Reply With Quote