Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
Arubberbaby
141LE

Drives: 14 AGM 1LE
Best Suspension specific to autocross

I'm wondering what you guys think for an autocross specific suspension as far as full adjustable coilovers or shocks and springs. I'm looking for the best performance possible. Even if its a while before I can get them because they're expensive.
It will be on my 14 1LE. Current suspension is my version of the Pedders Permagrin. Using all BMR parts. 1in lowering springs, subframe connectors, complete bushing kit, and a 32mm rear sway bar. I will also be upgrading to smaller/lighter 19x10.5 wheels and 305 tires.
The car will see an occasional track day but will run full seasons of autocross.
Thanks in advance. Matt
Old 04-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
You have a nice set up but RideTech coil overs would be a big step up over stock dampers and lowering springs. The front and rear adjustable sways would probably be a good investment as well.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Old 04-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
I would Look into DSE parts. As of right now they offer the most complete package and they arent going anywhere. Pretty much everything they make/offer-- incl LCA's, trailing arms, toe rods, motor mounts, sways and endlinks-- are adjustable which would help with getting your car dialed in exactly how you want it.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #5
Arubberbaby
141LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
You have a nice set up but RideTech coil overs would be a big step up over stock dampers and lowering springs. The front and rear adjustable sways would probably be a good investment as well.
Thanks Chase. Everything I have currently I ordered from you guys a couple months back.
And do you know when Ride-tech will offer there better line of coilovers? I believe they only have the single adjustable's right now. But I may be wrong.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Arubberbaby
141LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moreno View Post
I would Look into DSE parts. As of right now they offer the most complete package and they arent going anywhere. Pretty much everything they make/offer-- incl LCA's, trailing arms, toe rods, motor mounts, sways and endlinks-- are adjustable which would help with getting your car dialed in exactly how you want it.
I have really been leaning towards DSE right now. But if I do go with them it will take me a while to save for them.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubberbaby View Post
I'm wondering what you guys think for an autocross specific suspension as far as full adjustable coilovers or shocks and springs. I'm looking for the best performance possible. Even if its a while before I can get them because they're expensive.
It will be on my 14 1LE. Current suspension is my version of the Pedders Permagrin. Using all BMR parts. 1in lowering springs, subframe connectors, complete bushing kit, and a 32mm rear sway bar. I will also be upgrading to smaller/lighter 19x10.5 wheels and 305 tires.
The car will see an occasional track day but will run full seasons of autocross.
Thanks in advance. Matt
You can not go wrong with Ridetech or Detroit Speed if your budget allows.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Thanks in advance. Matt
Hi Matt,
My recommendations are based on my experience, your results may vary....

First, you don't need lighter wheels, just swap out the tires you have on your stock 1LE wheels to Michelin PSS, 285/35-20 fronts and 295/35-20 rears(105Y Ferrari spec)...

upgrade your brake lines to steel braided with Motul 600 at a minimum, prefer Castrol SRF...also get a separate clutch resevoir from JDP Motorsports...brake pads are your choice, stock work fine for autocross, Hawk HPS work better, and Cobalt Friction are the best, but will wear out rotors quicker....

then before you start throwing coilovers in the mix, get a lot of seat time with your set up...the 1LE struts are good with the 1" drop springs until you get used to the handling...I can't stress the seat time enough, then decide on some coilovers...if you are planning to autocross the majority of the time, Ride Tech would be the best choice and will be what I switch to if my Pedders Supercars give up at some point. Good luck with whatever you choose...
Old 04-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #9
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Hi Matt,

First, you don't need lighter wheels, just swap out the tires you have on your stock 1LE wheels to Michelin PSS, 285/35-20 fronts and 295/35-20 rears(105Y Ferrari spec)...

upgrade your brake lines to steel braided with Motul 600 at a minimum, prefer Castrol SRF...also get a separate clutch resevoir from JDP Motorsports...brake pads are your choice, stock work fine for autocross, Hawk HPS work better, and Cobalt Friction are the best, but will wear out rotors quicker....

then before you start throwing coilovers in the mix, get a lot of seat time with your set up...the 1LE struts are good with the 1" drop springs until you get used to the handling...I can't stress the seat time enough, then decide on some coilovers...if you are planning to autocross the majority of the time, Ride Tech would be the best choice and will be what I switch to if my Pedders Supercars give up at some point. Good luck with whatever you choose...
Really good advice and this is very close to what I'm doing. I'm not sure of your experience but as a newby in the world of AutoX myself the seat time is my biggest hurdle right now. I can tell you though that I paid for one day of quality instruction and added over 10mph to my run and a 50% increase in G's pulled. So, if you can swing it put some money into training yourself and that will pay dividends for as long as you race, unlike more parts.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #10
Arubberbaby
141LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Hi Matt,

Thank you for such a detailed answer.
I have Motul RBF 600 and SS lines already. I am still on stock pads for now.
Why do you suggest not staying with a square tire set up?
And it will be a while till I do the coilovers, so I will have plenty of seat time before I decide on anymore mods other than smaller things like pads and such.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:27 PM   #11
Arubberbaby
141LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
Really good advice and this is very close to what I'm doing. I'm not sure of your experience but as a newby in the world of AutoX myself the seat time is my biggest hurdle right now. I can tell you though that I paid for one day of quality instruction and added over 10mph to my run and a 50% increase in G's pulled. So, if you can swing it put some money into training yourself and that will pay dividends for as long as you race, unlike more parts.
I'm simply trying to figure out what the ultimate suspension set up would be when I'm ready.
I will be getting as much seat time as I can. I'm really just trying to plan ahead for budgeting purpose and just to know what people think that set up actually consist of.
Btw I am well aware of the fact that my car in its current set up is faster than I am. Lol.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Thank you for such a detailed answer.
I have Motul RBF 600 and SS lines already. I am still on stock pads for now.
Why do you suggest not staying with a square tire set up?
And it will be a while till I do the coilovers, so I will have plenty of seat time before I decide on anymore mods other than smaller things like pads and such.
Your square set up now is not really square, you have two different size wheels with the same size tire stretched across the back wheels...

The 10.5" wheels, you need to make sure you order them from someone that can nail the offsets, like Nineball, because there won't be a lot of space to fit them...I am running 20x10.5's right now with 295/35-20's all around and there is not much room...the front's will stick out a little due to this..

The wheels the 1LE comes with are pretty light to begin with, and adding the Michelin sizes I recommended, optimizes the wheels with best tire size combo to get you the most grip without spending a bunch on wheels/tire combo that will not improve the 1LE's handling by much based on my experience.

Just some friendly advice from one who has tried many combinations...
Old 04-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #13
Arubberbaby
141LE

Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #14
NotYetLegend

Drives: 2012 1SS/RS
Why no talk about what class you want to compete in? Non-adjustable coilovers net you less points than double adjuatables in the case of NASA-X for instance. Things lake chassis bracing usually net you a point a piece but aren't worth it on a modern car as stiff as the gen 5.

I don't see the point of going 285/295. You lose the ability to rotate AND if you go by the rulebook wider-than-oem tires add points to your car classification. So that's a lose-lose as far as I can tell. Oh its also more expensive.