Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
What is the widest Michelin PSS that fits front?

On a 20x10" rim, how big of a PSS can I fit up front without any modifications? 285? 295?

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
I have 295/35 not fitment issues at all.... Tires do bulge a little.. I'd suggest 285/35.. That's what I will be running when it's time for new tires..
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1106 View Post
I have 295/35 not fitment issues at all.... Tires do bulge a little.. I'd suggest 285/35.. That's what I will be running when it's time for new tires..
Thanks, I'm thinking

275/35 on a 20x10" out front
315/35 on a 20x11" out back.

I'm really debating the 315's, because I've heard the PSS's run big anyway, and they might be too big. On the other hand, this is going to be pretty expensive and I like the look of a wide tire in the back, so I figure I might as well go all out and do 315's. Also, I can use the extra traction!

Last edited by E.T.; 07-22-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
MiSTER

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM Camaro, 1988 6.6L IROC
I'm running a 285/35-20 PSS upfront on 20x10 35mm offset. There's a pretty decent amount of space with the stock struts. This is with -1.0 camber. With 0 camber there would be a little more room.
Attached Images

MiSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSTER View Post
I'm running a 285/35-20 PSS upfront on 20x10 35mm offset. There's a pretty decent amount of space with the stock struts. This is with -1.0 camber. With 0 camber there would be a little more room.
Thanks, so if those 285's are good, it looks like 275's should be no problem then.

I'm actually thinking of doing 295's out back instead of the 315's. I read somewhere that 275/295 was the optimal setup for the PSS tires.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
jgalewsk

Drives: 2013 Summit White Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Thanks, so if those 285's are good, it looks like 275's should be no problem then.

I'm actually thinking of doing 295's out back instead of the 315's. I read somewhere that 275/295 was the optimal setup for the PSS tires.
The optimal setup is definitely 275/295. This is what I run on my 13 1LE with the stock 10"/11" wheel setup. Offsets: +23 up front and +43 in the rear. Camber: -1.5 front, -1.0 rear. Lowered: really low...

Believe me and everyone else when we say the PSS's run very wide compared to most other tires.

The PSS 295's are as wide as most 315 tires. You can put the 315's on the back if you want as long as you are not lowered too far. I've seen 2 or 3 setups where they run the 315's on 11" wheels in the rear, but all of them said they couldn't lower the car because of fitment/rubbing issues. If you run 295 in the rear, then you can certainly lower the car depending on wheel offsets and camber.

For the front with 10" wheels, 275 seems to be the best option. 285's certainly fit but they may bulge a tiny bit, if not square with the wheel. The PSS 275 is stretched slightly on the 10", but this helps with initial turn in and steering response. With a bulging tire, it tends to roll a little before grabbing. With a slightly stretched tire, it is much more responsive.

Another thing to consider is wheel gap. It might not matter to you, but I figured I'd add the info... I don't know if you have a stock SS or have it lowered at all, but keep in mind that these PSS tires are 35 ratio. By moving from a stock SS setup (245/45 front, 275/40 rear) to a PSS 275/295 setup with 35 ratio, your tire diameter will decrease in the front by 1.1" and in the rear by 0.6". Divide that in half. So, your front wheel gap increases by about 0.5" and the rear gap by 0.3".

Your choice will depend on how you normally drive your car and where it spends most of the time. Is it a daily driver? Do you bring it to the drag strip or road course?

Here are a few pics of my car to give you a visual image of all my rambling above...

Name:  IMG_0453.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  97.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0460.jpg
Views: 1826
Size:  118.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0461.jpg
Views: 1908
Size:  89.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0475.jpg
Views: 2140
Size:  89.5 KB
jgalewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalewsk View Post
The optimal setup is definitely 275/295. This is what I run on my 13 1LE with the stock 10"/11" wheel setup. Offsets: +23 up front and +43 in the rear. Camber: -1.5 front, -1.0 rear. Lowered: really low...

Believe me and everyone else when we say the PSS's run very wide compared to most other tires.

The PSS 295's are as wide as most 315 tires. You can put the 315's on the back if you want as long as you are not lowered too far. I've seen 2 or 3 setups where they run the 315's on 11" wheels in the rear, but all of them said they couldn't lower the car because of fitment/rubbing issues. If you run 295 in the rear, then you can certainly lower the car depending on wheel offsets and camber.

For the front with 10" wheels, 275 seems to be the best option. 285's certainly fit but they may bulge a tiny bit, if not square with the wheel. The PSS 275 is stretched slightly on the 10", but this helps with initial turn in and steering response. With a bulging tire, it tends to roll a little before grabbing. With a slightly stretched tire, it is much more responsive.

Another thing to consider is wheel gap. It might not matter to you, but I figured I'd add the info... I don't know if you have a stock SS or have it lowered at all, but keep in mind that these PSS tires are 35 ratio. By moving from a stock SS setup (245/45 front, 275/40 rear) to a PSS 275/295 setup with 35 ratio, your tire diameter will decrease in the front by 1.1" and in the rear by 0.6". Divide that in half. So, your front wheel gap increases by about 0.5" and the rear gap by 0.3".

Your choice will depend on how you normally drive your car and where it spends most of the time. Is it a daily driver? Do you bring it to the drag strip or road course?

Here are a few pics of my car to give you a visual image of all my rambling above...

Attachment 536195

Attachment 536196

Attachment 536197

Attachment 536198
Wow, that looks good and thanks for all the info. That definitely makes me feel good about going with 275/295. The car is mainly street driven, although it's seen the dragstrip a few times. Probably won't do a road coarse (sounds fun, but I'd be a little afraid of wrecking it).

That small change in wheel gap sounds ok. I doubt I'd notice it visually? Basically, I like the look of the wider tires, and I'm also looking to get a bit more traction over what the stock P-zeros can offer. Maggie makes short work of them, hehe.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
jgalewsk

Quote:
Wow, that looks good and thanks for all the info. That definitely makes me feel good about going with 275/295. The car is mainly street driven, although it's seen the dragstrip a few times. Probably won't do a road coarse (sounds fun, but I'd be a little afraid of wrecking it).

That small change in wheel gap sounds ok. I doubt I'd notice it visually? Basically, I like the look of the wider tires, and I'm also looking to get a bit more traction over what the stock P-zeros can offer. Maggie makes short work of them, hehe.
Thanks! And you are welcome. I had the hardest time finding info about these tires and which setup to go with. I figured I'd help you out as best I could.

Since your car is mainly street driven (like mine), definitely do the 275/295 setup. As long as you get 10" and 11" rims with the correct offsets, you shouldn't have to worry about rubbing or fitment issues.

And if you don't like the increase in wheel gap and you want to lower it a little without breaking the bank with coilovers, I suggest Pfadt lowering springs and possibly some subframe and radius bushes from Pedders . I had the lowering springs on my car for a little while before switching to coilovers (wanted to go lower), and the ride quality was really close to a stock 1LE setup. A tiny bit bumpier but that was expected and was certainly outweighed by the benefits: much less body roll, better steering response, etc...

I will direct you to MINI HLK's build thread. MINI HLK Synergy Green Auto / V6 He put the PSS 275/295 setup on his V6 and lowered it with the Pfadt springs. Pics of wheels and tires before lowering are on page 4, post 78. After lowering with Pfadt springs, page 5, posts 101 and 114.

Maggie with P-Zeros = lots of smoke! The PSS's have so much more traction, its ridiculous. I don't have the power you do, but I can vouch for the PSS's insane traction from some of the cornering I've done. To put it a clearer perspective, finding the cornering limits of these Michelin's on the street is just plain stupid... lol. Straight line traction is pretty amazing too. I'm around 410-420 rwhp and 1st gear barely spins from a roll. 2nd gear hardly ever chirps... These tires are just plain amazing!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I disagree with your opinion of the best set up, I run 285/35 and 295/35's in Michelin PSS and they definitely work better than the 275 on the front which I have previously had in both those and Nitto's NT-05's I previously ran. I have run many combinations so far and on a 10" rim, the 285 is the better choice and gets it closer to a square set up using the 295 in the rear....and I have 425rwhp and can roast the Michelin's anytime in 1st
Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
E.T.

Quote:
Thanks! And you are welcome. I had the hardest time finding info about these tires and which setup to go with. I figured I'd help you out as best I could.

Since your car is mainly street driven (like mine), definitely do the 275/295 setup. As long as you get 10" and 11" rims with the correct offsets, you shouldn't have to worry about rubbing or fitment issues.

And if you don't like the increase in wheel gap and you want to lower it a little without breaking the bank with coilovers, I suggest Pfadt lowering springs and possibly some subframe and radius bushes from Pedders . I had the lowering springs on my car for a little while before switching to coilovers (wanted to go lower), and the ride quality was really close to a stock 1LE setup. A tiny bit bumpier but that was expected and was certainly outweighed by the benefits: much less body roll, better steering response, etc...

I will direct you to MINI HLK's build thread. MINI HLK Synergy Green Auto / V6 He put the PSS 275/295 setup on his V6 and lowered it with the Pfadt springs. Pics of wheels and tires before lowering are on page 4, post 78. After lowering with Pfadt springs, page 5, posts 101 and 114.

Maggie with P-Zeros = lots of smoke! The PSS's have so much more traction, its ridiculous. I don't have the power you do, but I can vouch for the PSS's insane traction from some of the cornering I've done. To put it a clearer perspective, finding the cornering limits of these Michelin's on the street is just plain stupid... lol. Straight line traction is pretty amazing too. I'm around 410-420 rwhp and 1st gear barely spins from a roll. 2nd gear hardly ever chirps... These tires are just plain amazing!
Thanks. Yeah, I know what you mean about it taking a while to decide. I've done quite a bit or research on this and there are a lot of options. The fact that the Michelins run big is another complication. MINI HLK's looks nice. I think those are the Forgestars I'm looking at....looks like gun metal.

Who knows, I might lower it at some point. Guess I'll see how it looks with the new wheels. It's good to know that there will be more traction. First gear on the auto with 3.70 gears is pretty wild, blower or not I'm sure I'll still have to feather the throttle, but any improvement over stock will be nice.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
jgalewsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
I disagree with your opinion of the best set up, I run 285/35 and 295/35's in Michelin PSS and they definitely work better than the 275 on the front which I have previously had in both those and Nitto's NT-05's I previously ran. I have run many combinations so far and on a 10" rim, the 285 is the better choice and gets it closer to a square set up using the 295 in the rear....and I have 425rwhp and can roast the Michelin's anytime in 1st
I meant it would probably be the best setup for E.T. I figured the 10mm loss in width would allow a little more room for error when picking offsets. And it also depends on whether he lowers the car or not.

I do agree that the 285 on the front would probably be more of a square setup when using the 295 in the rear, and it would give you a little more traction. But it is also a daily driver. I just didn't see the need for a 285 when it never sees a track. If the car did see some road course action, the 285 would probably be better suited. Then you would definitely need some Pedders bushes and sway bars...

Sorry to go off topic here, but how are those Pedders ZL sway bars working for you So Cal? 27mm and 32mm, right? I've been wanting to get the rear bar and was a little curious...
Old 07-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
jgalewsk

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, I know what you mean about it taking a while to decide. I've done quite a bit or research on this and there are a lot of options. The fact that the Michelins run big is another complication. MINI HLK's looks nice. I think those are the Forgestars I'm looking at....looks like gun metal.

Who knows, I might lower it at some point. Guess I'll see how it looks with the new wheels. It's good to know that there will be more traction. First gear on the auto with 3.70 gears is pretty wild, blower or not I'm sure I'll still have to feather the throttle, but any improvement over stock will be nice.
Which wheels are you planning to go with? I know the widths, just wondering which wheel. I don't know if I missed that info in this thread or if it is in another thread...
Old 07-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #13
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
I meant it would probably be the best setup for E.T. I figured the 10mm loss in width would allow a little more room for error when picking offsets. And it also depends on whether he lowers the car or not.

I do agree that the 285 on the front would probably be more of a square setup when using the 295 in the rear, and it would give you a little more traction. But it is also a daily driver. I just didn't see the need for a 285 when it never sees a track. If the car did see some road course action, the 285 would probably be better suited. Then you would definitely need some Pedders bushes and sway bars...

Sorry to go off topic here, but how are those Pedders ZL sway bars working for you So Cal? 27mm and 32mm, right? I've been wanting to get the rear bar and was a little curious...
The Pedders ZL Sway Bars work very well...you only need the front if you want it to be adjustable, as the stock bar is the same size. The rear bar works well, love the handling with it added along with the HD subframe bushings....When I rented a stock SS Camaro to autocross a few times with my Camaro is elsewhere, forgot how bad they handle stock...so the bigger sways make a difference...
Old 07-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
jgalewsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
The Pedders ZL Sway Bars work very well...you only need the front if you want it to be adjustable, as the stock bar is the same size. The rear bar works well, love the handling with it added along with the HD subframe bushings....When I rented a stock SS Camaro to autocross a few times with my Camaro is elsewhere, forgot how bad they handle stock...so the bigger sways make a difference...
Glad to hear that. I'm only getting the rear bar because I don't need that extra adjustability. Can't wait to get it installed to feel the difference!