Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #29
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
ZR1 Brakes are not what most would consider cost effective.

In what must be a very sweet moment for a longtime Corvette engineer, Juechter notes that the monster 15-inch Brembo carbon-ceramic rotors fitted as standard to the ZR1's rear wheels are the brakes originally designed for the front of Ferrari's 650-hp Enzo supercar. In the front of the ZR1, you'll find even larger 15.5-inch carbon-ceramic units.

Juechter says, "The only vehicle I know of that has these brakes as standard equipment is the 1,000-hp Bugatti Veyron." Then he adds with a grin, "Although I think you can get them as a $20,000 option on the Ferrari 599."
I was just thinking calipers, but I don't know if they're the same cost as the rotors. I remembered reading that, but didn't articulate myself clearly, lol.

And yes - they aren't cost-effective for me, lol.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #30
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
yeh i was refering to the z06 calipers, i was just wondering because you can get them new for a decent price, so i was wondering if they would fit on the camaro hubs with the cts v brakes, just trying to see what else might work, as the ctsv brakes are awsome but $$$$$ i am getting the lt so i think the 6piston fronts might be way too over kill might just stick with the ss upgrade
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #31
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
I'm assuming since the SS brakes will fit on the V6 as long as you have large enough wheels, that these will also. However, I'm unsure if the brake lines will work for this type of setup, or if the master cylinder would have to be replaced to handle the much (much!) larger brake system. Any insights?

If it could work, I'd gladly add this to my list of future mods.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #32
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Pete, Could someone upgrade ONLY the Front brake setup with the CTS-V parts?

It appears the REAR Calipers,Rotor size, and pads are the same as the Camaro Rear.. Correct? Do you gain anything by upgrading the rear setup? From your writeup in the first post, it seems as if you did it so the caliper colors would match.

I can see a benefit to doing the front setup.. not sure what you gained from swapping the rear setup.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #33
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
I'm assuming since the SS brakes will fit on the V6 as long as you have large enough wheels, that these will also. However, I'm unsure if the brake lines will work for this type of setup, or if the master cylinder would have to be replaced to handle the much (much!) larger brake system. Any insights?

If it could work, I'd gladly add this to my list of future mods.
- X
You would need to see if the Master Cylinder for the brakes is the same between the V-6 and the V-8. Someone needs to check with a GM service center and compare part #'s between the two models for the braking systems.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #34
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 570hp-lpe View Post
Pete, Could someone upgrade ONLY the Front brake setup with the CTS-V parts?

It appears the REAR Calipers,Rotor size, and pads are the same as the Camaro Rear.. Correct? Do you gain anything by upgrading the rear setup? From your writeup in the first post, it seems as if you did it so the caliper colors would match.

I can see a benefit to doing the front setup.. not sure what you gained from swapping the rear setup.
Aside from matching the color and doing the test fit there is no perfromance reason to change out the rear caliper. I'll get the front only cost from Witt Buick Pedders and post it here.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #35
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 570hp-lpe View Post
You would need to see if the Master Cylinder for the brakes is the same between the V-6 and the V-8. Someone needs to check with a GM service center and compare part #'s between the two models for the braking systems.
You're right about needing acess to a GM service center at times. That is why I really appreciate the access I have at Witt, especially when doing GM based R & D. The master cyclinders are different on a six. Full retail on a new master is ONLY $123.81 so we are not talking big bucks. If there is a six owner looking to upgrade we would like to do it here at Witt. Then we can post the results here.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #36
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
You're right about needing acess to a GM service center at times. That is why I really appreciate the access I have at Witt, especially when doing GM based R & D. The master cyclinders are different on a six. Full retail on a new master is ONLY $123.81 so we are not talking big bucks. If there is a six owner looking to upgrade we would like to do it here at Witt. Then we can post the results here.
If nobody has done it yet by this summer you may just have a deal. I was already planning on getting it to you guys for some suspension work. Might as well do both at that time.
- X

Old 03-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #37
JusticePete

Quote:
If nobody has done it yet by this summer you may just have a deal. I was already planning on getting it to you guys for some suspension work. Might as well do both at that time.
- X
Awesome -- you'll get your over night in Muskegon hotel paid for by me.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #38
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Juechter says, "The only vehicle I know of that has these brakes as standard equipment is the 1,000-hp Bugatti Veyron." Then he adds with a grin, "Although I think you can get them as a $20,000 option on the Ferrari 599."
Well, sort of. While the rotors are similar, the calipers on the Veryon are made by AP Racing, who engineered the brake system. Today, carbon-ceramics are optional on quite a few of the more expensive vehicles. They are fitted as standard on all 2010 Ferrari's. Whether or not the ZR-1 units are cost-effective is a subjective judgment.

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #39
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Awesome -- you'll get your over night in Muskegon hotel paid for by me.
Sounds like you've got yourself a deal. Probably won't be till later August or thereabouts, so I'll send you a PM when I get everything worked out.
- X

Old 03-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #40
JusticePete

Quote:
Sounds like you've got yourself a deal. Probably won't be till later August or thereabouts, so I'll send you a PM when I get everything worked out.
- X
Cool. After all the work Witt Buick Pedders did on this project they have earned a few retail suspension jobs. This brake project was something I really wanted to bring to the community. GM did a great job with the CTS-V and I can't remember the last time I could say I was proud to have Caddy parts on my car.

Pedders will not be making any money on the brakes. Not a penny. The Cadillac of Brakes for the Camaro is just one Camaro enthusiast bragging about his personal Camaro, GM and Cadillac.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:39 PM   #41
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Great share, Pete... and kudo's to Witt.

Does Paul Tracy know about this yet???
Old 03-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #42
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Great share, Pete... and kudo's to Witt.

Does Paul Tracy know about this yet???
Paul will be racing at Indy this year and I will be attending the Indy 500 for the first time. 1st Indy, Paul Tracy, Pit Passes -- can it get any better? The answer is yes, but I can't say any more at this time.