The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 07-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
The Nerd

Drives: BMW
6AT vs new 8AT

New to the Corvette world and highly considering either a 2014 or a 2015 Z51 automatic. I'm definitely not interested in a manual....my question is.....does anyone have direct knowledge just how good the new 8 speed auto will be in the 2015 models? I come from a fantastic 8 speed auto in my BMW and the shifts are literally as fast as a DCT....great all around tranny both for performance and fuel economy. I've heard mixed reviews about the current 6 speed....so I'd rather wait if possible for the 8AT. Anyone have better knowledge on this?

On a related note.....if I were to order a 2015 today.....what is the approx. wait time on these?
The Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
Dada

Drives: Z51 White on Black
Details here

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...-corvette.html

If you were to order one, nobody knows when you will get it as your dealership may not have allocation, and depending on your build, it is likely you could get your car anytime between end of SEPT to LATE NOV

I was in the same boat, so I shopped around and found some honest dealers, ordered a 2014 exactly the way I wanted.

Many dealers still have 14 in stock, depending on whether u want a coupe or convertible you can get a discount now.
Dada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
Dada

Drives: Z51 White on Black
Details here

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...-corvette.html

If you were to order one, nobody knows when you will get it as your dealership may not have allocation, and depending on your build, it is likely you could get your car anytime between end of SEPT to LATE NOV

I was in the same boat, so I shopped around and found some honest dealers, ordered a 2014 exactly the way I wanted.

Many dealers still have 14 in stock, depending on whether u want a coupe or convertible you can get a discount now.
Dada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
If you have the 8 spd in your BMW, this is very similar. It is being put in not just the corvette but the whole GM line. It is being added as it can increase the CAFE avg mpg being computer controlled and lowering cruise rpm. A lot of people think it's for perf, it's not, it's a fuel thing.

And the 8 spds shift fast as they are computer controlled and shorter gears, the downside for some is they are always shifting......
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #5
The Nerd

Thanks for the quick replies!
Old 07-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
BRCC
BRCC Webmaster

Drives: 2017 GS 3LT Sterling Blue/Gray Int
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
If you have the 8 spd in your BMW, this is very similar. It is being put in not just the corvette but the whole GM line. It is being added as it can increase the CAFE avg mpg being computer controlled and lowering cruise rpm. A lot of people think it's for perf, it's not, it's a fuel thing.

And the 8 spds shift fast as they are computer controlled and shorter gears, the downside for some is they are always shifting......
Glen:

For 2015 only the Corvette is getting the 8 Speed, the only other car in the line up that has a 8 Speed is the CTS sedan, that 8 Speed is not a GM product. I will assume 2016 models will have the 8 Speed across the board.
BRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #7
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRCC View Post
Glen:

For 2015 only the Corvette is getting the 8 Speed, the only other car in the line up that has a 8 Speed is the CTS sedan, that 8 Speed is not a GM product. I will assume 2016 models will have the 8 Speed across the board.
read closer....I never said for 15, but the 8 speed is not being developed just for the vette....it is a CAFE thing....
Old 07-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
The MPG gain you'll get from the A6 to the A8 will be negligible.

So it's completely up to you if you want to get a '14 on close out or wait 6 months or longer for a '15.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51Stingray View Post
The MPG gain you'll get from the A6 to the A8 will be negligible.

So it's completely up to you if you want to get a '14 on close out or wait 6 months or longer for a '15.
I don't consider at least 1 mpg in the highway test to be "negligible" and GM certainly does not when the A8 starts spreading out across the product lines... ..CAFE requirements are gonna get real nasty in the next 10 years and everything helps...
Old 07-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #10
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

A 1 MPG gain by the A8 can easily be made up by the A6 and more conscious driving habits.

At 55, my A6 consistently delivers 33+ MPG. IF the A8 can manage 34 MPG, an extra 1 MPG isn't much.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #11
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51Stingray View Post
A 1 MPG gain by the A8 can easily be made up by the A6 and more conscious driving habits.

At 55, my A6 consistently delivers 33+ MPG. IF the A8 can manage 34 MPG, an extra 1 MPG isn't much.
nobody is talking about you....a 1 mpg on the EPA circuit is worth millions of $ when multiplied by the amount of cars that get the increase.......
Old 07-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #12
The Nerd

I personally started the thread because, beyond the mpg gains, the 8AT will be a much more sophisticated, faster shifting tranny. Like I mentioned previously, if it shifts like my BMW 8AT, the shifts are lightening quick. I've heard the opposite about the current 6AT. Worth waiting for if you want an auto...
Old 07-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #13
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
nobody is talking about you....a 1 mpg on the EPA circuit is worth millions of $ when multiplied by the amount of cars that get the increase.......
Wow, somebody missed their nap.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #14
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Maybe but Glen e's point is valid.

And more important, based in reality.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote