Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
jpetro
JPetro

Drives: 02 Sunfire
Mods: Before or After Break Inn?

I have finally decided what mods I want to make on my L99. I am going with a new intake manifold (Fast XLSR 102), new throttle body to match (Big Mouth 102), and to fill up all that open space a Vortech V3. On the exhaust side I am going with ARH long tube 2" headers with a (this was a toss up between Borla and Corsa) Corsa Catback basically because I am afraid of the 4 cylinder drone.
The big question is should I wait and break the car in first and then do the mods or visa verse. I would like to do the mods as soon as possible and than take it easy for the first 1500 or so.
I would like some opinions from Vendors or other drivers who are or might be doing the same. Thanks

Soon to oun a 2SS/RS Silver Ice with a chrome snail thing under hood, Pedders Sport, Hawk pads, ARH exhust system. Spring project: Pedders Coil overs and Brake package tba

Last edited by jpetro; 11-08-2009 at 01:53 PM. Reason: spelling
jpetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Before...i've never had a problem modding a car right away
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
i like putting a blower on brand new, to promote ring seal, or at least thats what i told my wife, lol.
the mods you speak of, should be tuned. if your worried about warranty, wait a month to make sure you dont have a lemon, and tune away the AFM.

i am installing ARH, corsa axleback, and mbrp rectangle tips. frankenexhaust.
hot ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
as far as afm, i have it left enabled, but may wipe it if the sound of the apache helo chasing me annoys me too much.
hot ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
jpetro
JPetro

I'd figured doing the mods right away wouldn't bother with all those tuned cars out there. Just would like the positive feedback.
And as far as the wife goes, I told her I was buying a new Camaro, she told me not to mention it again, Her Exact words were 'I don't want to talk about it," then she said something about bills and lost me. As far as the mods I am going to tell her that Iam taking it to the dealer for a day for some body work.
But waiting to see if its a lemon or not sounds interesting, But I am doing a before and after Dyno and if there is something wrong with the engine I think it would show up on the before dyno. IF a seal goes, well I'll just have to put in a cam, right!

Soon to oun a 2SS/RS Silver Ice with a chrome snail thing under hood, Pedders Sport, Hawk pads, ARH exhust system. Spring project: Pedders Coil overs and Brake package tba
Old 11-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
I think you would be fine with the install right away...However I woudl still behave for a little while just to let things break in with the mods installed.

I dont think you will have any issues...and it sounds like you have a great setup planned.

If you need any help let me know, ro if you just have questions abotu putting the right package together.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
HorsePowerAddicts

Drives: LSx Powered
Modding a new car will be fine. I have done numerous cars with less than 500 miles on them with great results. Only downside is you will most likely lose your waranty.
HorsePowerAddicts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
jpetro
JPetro

OK. ZZ maybe you can help me out. I have been calling Vortech off and on for about 4 weeks. One of the guys told me that they were coming out with a new V2, than I would call and another guy said no, than I called again and was told in about 2 weeks. If you use Vortech "What's the story"

Old 11-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpetro View Post
OK. ZZ maybe you can help me out. I have been calling Vortech off and on for about 4 weeks. One of the guys told me that they were coming out with a new V2, than I would call and another guy said no, than I called again and was told in about 2 weeks. If you use Vortech "What's the story"
PM replied
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote