Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #29
$¢'s 5th Gen

Drives: SUV & Chaparral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I wanted to address this synthetic oil thing. Because I care for all Camaro's, not just mine. :p Don't change the oil immediately. Believe it or not, it can do more harm than good.

Synthetic is generally a better oil, yes. But not right from the beginning. GM Hi tech magazine had an article on this to back me up (I'll see if I can find it). Everybody knows about the break-in period; for the first 500-1000 miles (the longer the better) The rings, primarily, need to seat on the cyllinder walls correctly. If they don't, well...you'll end up having issues later on down the road.

Synthetic oil doesn't allow the rings to seat as well as they should. Because it's such a good oil. It's too good for the break-in period.

So, of course, do what you like - but I wouldn't recommend using synthetic oil before 1000 miles.

And with that - Back on Topic
This could be very true because the LS2's consume oil, around a quart every 3000 miles. These motors also come with Mobil 1 synthetic. I have also heard that the harder you drive from the begining the less oil gets consummed. Maybe because the harder you drive with synthetic the more the rings seal. Do this without completely ragging on the motor of course.
$¢'s 5th Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:12 PM   #30
daddyseth1

Drives: 94 Pontiac Firebird Formula
The youngest Camaro Fan.

It seems that there is now a bigger Camaro fan in my household, it is my 2-year old, who is a Camaro fanatic. I swear if I had my camcorder working and could record how estatic he gets when he sees this car. It is cute how he pronounces it, "KEY-MARO", THAT'S A KEY-MARO DA DA. So I asked him yesterday, where would he like to go when I get mine, he said...RIDE A KEY-MARO DA DA! So being that he loves this car as much as I do, I would take him to the dealer, and hear him scream out ..THAT'S OUR KEY-MARO DA DA!
daddyseth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #31
[KRPT]ECP
Professional Lurker

Drives: '97 LeSabre
I think all i would do is just get it, wash it down, wax it, and go out cruising all day... and maybe dust a few mustangs once the break in miles are done..
[KRPT]ECP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #32
fishbern82

Drives: 07 HHR
Lets see here, after work i will head to the dealer.
That will be 4 o'clock, so I'll go drive for a few hours and then go home and pull out the manual and read it while I'm setting on the can. Oh yeah, can't wait
fishbern82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #33
$¢'s 5th Gen

Drives: SUV & Chaparral
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyseth1 View Post
It seems that there is now a bigger Camaro fan in my household, it is my 2-year old, who is a Camaro fanatic. I swear if I had my camcorder working and could record how estatic he gets when he sees this car. It is cute how he pronounces it, "KEY-MARO", THAT'S A KEY-MARO DA DA. So I asked him yesterday, where would he like to go when I get mine, he said...RIDE A KEY-MARO DA DA! So being that he loves this car as much as I do, I would take him to the dealer, and hear him scream out ..THAT'S OUR KEY-MARO DA DA!
Thats awesome!!! My 3 year old says when he sees it, "Thats Daddy's race car, get the yellow one"
$¢'s 5th Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:23 PM   #34
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Oh yeah...you guys know my boy loves it. He always wants to play in my SS, go for rides, etc. And, when he sees the concept, will always point it out. He'll be 3 on Thurs.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #35
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Quote:
Sounds like me at about the same age

Damn I hope I can keep the Camaro long enough to have my kids rid in it.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #36
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'll probably be in St. Louis, so I'm going to start by getting subs and an iPod jack installed if they aren't already, then I'll continue with a long drive back to my college town where 2 of my buddies will be living, one of which is a big Chevy guy who still doesn't believe I will actually get a Camaro. I'll show up at his place, spin the tires, and head to this girl's place. She said she wants to make out on the hood. It'll be a great day. I'll probably want to sleep in the driver's seat to bond with my new buddy. The next day will involve a thorough cleaning and waxing followed by a photo session and many pictures posted. My Facebook and MySpace pages will have new profile pictures featuring my new buddy.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #37
daddyseth1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emher View Post
Sounds like me at about the same age

Damn I hope I can keep the Camaro long enough to have my kids rid in it.
There is a dark side to my story though, in my same household, my 14-year old will taunt my aura by making comments like "Dad the Mustang know its pretty" or "I like those Mustangs, they are the best looking cars". He'll hear me and the 2-year old gauk about the Camaro, and he'll rebutt with a Mustang comment. So I tell him everytime, you don't know much do you, and with the grades you are getting I can expect you to say something like that. So when I get ahold of my Camaro, he knows that he will not be welcomed until he changes his tune. Even then, he may have to wait 6 more months before he can ride in the front seat.

If he is still talking smack to me, Ill tell him to get a job so he can buy him a "Mustank".
Old 12-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #38
daddyseth1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Oh yeah...you guys know my boy loves it. He always wants to play in my SS, go for rides, etc. And, when he sees the concept, will always point it out. He'll be 3 on Thurs.
Tell him happy Birthday. At least you know what to get him for Christmas.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #39
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^You got that right! Actually, I got all the 5th Gen stuff and he plays w/ the majority of it. There's a few things I won't let him mess with. But, we are having a Cars (Disney Pixar) themed birthday for him. Boy, do we have a ton of car stuff for him!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:52 PM   #40
daddyseth1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
^You got that right! Actually, I got all the 5th Gen stuff and he plays w/ the majority of it. There's a few things I won't let him mess with. But, we are having a Cars (Disney Pixar) themed birthday for him. Boy, do we have a ton of car stuff for him!
It's funny that you say that because when HotWheels came out with the diecast toys, my wife let my son play with one of the three that I bought. she could not understand why I did not want him to play with them (go figure huh?). So I had to go and buy another, which were just $1, and HIDE it in my closet. With the other two. So he has definitely a gearhead in the making.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #41
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Quote:
There is a dark side to my story though, in my same household, my 14-year old will taunt my aura by making comments like "Dad the Mustang know its pretty" or "I like those Mustangs, they are the best looking cars". He'll hear me and the 2-year old gauk about the Camaro, and he'll rebutt with a Mustang comment. So I tell him everytime, you don't know much do you, and with the grades you are getting I can expect you to say something like that. So when I get ahold of my Camaro, he knows that he will not be welcomed until he changes his tune. Even then, he may have to wait 6 more months before he can ride in the front seat.

If he is still talking smack to me, Ill tell him to get a job so he can buy him a "Mustank".
No such thing going on here. Here me and my dad are just happy to see any American cars we can spot.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:33 PM   #42
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
What would you guys do if.. you just bought the car, and were pulling off the lot. Then all of a sudden, a huge truck slams into the back of you because they weren't paying attention. You were fine but the car was totaled. :O

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote