Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #15
Lamar14
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: GMC 2008 Denali White
Quick question. I have never driven stick so sorry for my stupidity if i'm wrong. Say you were in 4th gear and needed to slow down and stop. Could you just put the car in neutral and brake?
Lamar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #16
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar14 View Post
Quick question. I have never driven stick so sorry for my stupidity if i'm wrong. Say you were in 4th gear and needed to slow down and stop. Could you just put the car in neutral and brake?
Yes this is an option, I haven't driven this specific car yet so I don't know exactly how I'll end up driving it but here's my thoughts, going to get flamed some I'm sure . I normally don't down shift unless changing speed zones, I normally put it into neutral and brake, I see it as being better to use the brakes then put the put the strain on the tranny. Now that I have said that every standard car that I have owned has been old and was used when I bought it so going through brakes once every couple years as opposed to putting extra strain on the tranny was acceptable to me. That being said with a new car with a warranty that uses expensive brakes (brembo's) I'll most likely be downshifting to slowdown .
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #17
Lamar14
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: GMC 2008 Denali White
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphatgrant View Post
Yes this is an option, I haven't driven this specific car yet so I don't know exactly how I'll end up driving it but here's my thoughts, going to get flamed some I'm sure . I normally don't down shift unless changing speed zones, I normally put it into neutral and brake, I see it as being better to use the brakes then put the put the strain on the tranny. Now that I have said that every standard car that I have owned has been old and was used when I bought it so going through brakes once every couple years as opposed to putting extra strain on the tranny was acceptable to me. That being said with a new car with a warranty that uses expensive brakes (brembo's) I'll most likely be downshifting to slowdown .
Thank you for your responce. I've only driven autos so I realy didn't know. I'm looking forward to the day i turn 16. My neighbor whos like family to me told me I could take his Vette for a cruise. Hes gonna be in the car don't worry haha.
Lamar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #18
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajonf View Post
you should probably wait for the auto if you have to ask
Old 09-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #19
TheLazyBrownDog

Drives: 98 S10, 97 4Runner
You'll learn the car as you drive it and what speeds you can use which gears in. People telling you not to get a manual if you don't know how to drive it doesn't make sense to me, people who drive manuals all had to learn at some point, they're just being a holes. There are 2 types of people that drive stick, those who have stalled thier cars, and those that lie about not stalling. This car is very forgiving when it comes to picking gears because of the torque it has. You WILL stall it a some point but it's just part of learning something new. I would be willing to bet you know someone with a manual that can help you learn, once you get down taking off in first the rest is cake. If you want it get it, once you get used to it you'll love it.
TheLazyBrownDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:06 PM   #20
TheLazyBrownDog

Drives: 98 S10, 97 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike25 View Post
If you can't offer help don't reply.

I guess some are created gods and just KNOW how to drive a manual, while us lowly mortals had to learn it, oh I bow to you great ones.
TheLazyBrownDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #21
Croatcamaro2010

Drives: '10 Camaro RS 1LT
for a new stick driver, if i were you i would down shift if traffic were slowing down, i would try to keep rpm level between 1500 and 2300, the car will start moving at about 1100, and idles at 500 on a warm day

http://www.active.com/donate/napa12midastl/stlNBrekal
Croatcamaro2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:18 PM   #22
Croatcamaro2010

Drives: '10 Camaro RS 1LT
also, if you're trying to pass, and want to pass in a hurry, ill go from 6th to 4th if i really want some push, but if i have plenty of time to pass ill go from 6th to 5th, or on non highway ill go to the next lower gear, all depends what you need to do

http://www.active.com/donate/napa12midastl/stlNBrekal
Croatcamaro2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:25 PM   #23
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
I would learn how to downshift...and not get used to just putting it in neutral and use the brakes....engine braking in addition to "brakes" will help you slow fown..and if you need to get on the gas you will already be in the proper gerat ot accelrate
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:31 PM   #24
Mayhem

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Camaro (Black)
Man some of yall r just nasty. Having a Manual doesn't entitle you to some special club of which entails being a complete douche to anyone who isn't as "cool" as you. And not being an expert doesn't mean you shouldn't ever learn...

All of you Manual tranny elitists... learned at some point. Some people are fortunate enough that the 5th gen camaro is that starting point. Might as well learn in style.

My 2SS/RS M6 is the first Manual I've ever owned.. (The first car I've ever owned period.) I've been driving automatics for the past 10 years. Until a few months ago when I ordered my Camaro, I had never driven Manual... I ordered Manual cuz after weighing the pro's con's and just thinking things over I decided that Manual felt "right" for myself. It fit my image for a Muscle Car and a Camaro better and I didn't need the "remote start" or the "free hand to cell phone/coffee etc..." in traffic... And I don't have a problem with doing a little more of the driving myself.

What I did and am glad I did prior to getting my car since I had a few months to wait for delivery.. I went n did a few paid lessons.. Nobody I knew had or was willing to share their manual tranny's with a beginner... so I forked up for 3 lessons. 1.5 hour sessions on a supplied manual transmission vehicle.

This gave me the foundation and a complete understanding of what is going on and what needs to be done. What it didn't give me? Was enough hands on time and experience to be "comfortable" and "instinctive" driving a stick.

The only solution to that, is time. By the time I finished my lessons I still had to wait 2 months for my own car to arrive.... 3 1.5 hour lessons and then 2 months of nothing.. I got a "little" rusty.. so the first few days on my New camaro were a little rough.

I can relate to the questions about how do you know when to shift? How do you know when to release clutch ? etc etc... It really does come naturally as you get a "feel" for things by doing it yourself... You start to feel the right timing and hear the right timing for your car as you drive it more.

I stuck to my neighborhood for a couple quiet nights, and then ventured out into real world traffic. Stop & go rush hour traffic was the real test and definately don't do that until you're a little more comfortable as people aren't exactly accomodating or understanding to someone stalling their new standard Camaro at all the lights.

Anyways, what I wouldn't recommend? Is getting the M6 just because it's what's available now... Get it only if you really want it... stick to what you want.. if that happens to be a manual transmission? Then don't let some of the jackasses around here convince you otherwise. You can learn to drive stick pretty fast. Be prepared for lots of frustration in the beginning ! It is easy afterwards though.

Personally I'm glad I went through the trouble to learn stick. At first it feels like more work but after it becomes natural, it really isn't work... And when I get into an auto now... I feel kind of useless ! Like, ok what do I do with this hand and this foot now? It feels a little un-natural to me to be in an auto now.. so I guess I have adapted reasonably well.

I get bored in auto's. and I have fallen asleep behind the wheel once... and thatttt was a scary experience. I like the idea of stick shifting because having to clutch and shift gears really does keep your mind more alert and focused on DRIVING... I'm a lot less prone to distractions now and I find that I drive a lot better. It stimulates me mentally & physically and it grants it's own sort of satisfaction of knowing that you can drive what a lot of people these days cant... and I don't know if it's the macho gear head brainwashing or the movies, but I just get a little more pride in saying that my Camaro's a Manual. (Not to say theres any reason to be less proud of an auto) That's just how I feel about my personal experience.

Bottom line though, get what YOU want.. You'll regret it if you don't.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:33 PM   #25
Mayhem

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Camaro (Black)
downshifting isn't really recommended during the break-in period on these cars... (Infact I'm almost certain it specifically states NOT to during the break-in period in the book)

It's also not the best way for a "beginner" to treat a transmission.

I would get comfortable with shifting/clutching and feeling the RPM's and needs of the car first before you start messing with downshifting.. IMO it's more of a next level sort of thing for someone to learn...

It doesn't take long anyways to get the basics down.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:34 PM   #26
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Its way easier to learn if you have a patient teacher sitting beside you.

I learned the basics of it wayyyy before I ever drove a car from riding dirtbikes.

Seems like little 4 cylinder jap cars are the easiest to learn on, so maybe you could find a friend or family member to help out with some lessons in their car before you get yours.
two_wheel_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:48 PM   #27
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Man some of yall r just nasty. Having a Manual doesn't entitle you to some special club of which entails being a complete douche to anyone who isn't as "cool" as you. And not being an expert doesn't mean you shouldn't ever learn...

But thats about every topic on this board. I'll probably be flamed for saying a 4 cylinder jap car is easier to learn with than a V8 Camaro.
two_wheel_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:54 PM   #28
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
rent a manual car for the weekend if you can find one and practice. It won't take long to learn as you already know how to drive and you just need to learn how and when to shift.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote