Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Who has defected to Vararam from another CAI.

I'm wondering if I should do the swap. I have a CAI Inc intake and I was inpressed with how it changed the driving characterisitics of my car. I felt it was a pretty good bang for the buck mod. Following the Vararam megathread has been facinating to me. If the Vararam intake is in fact a clearly superior product then Im not too proud. 300 NA RWHP or bust!
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Victoryred69

Drives: RS Victory Red/BS V6
I recently just sold my Injen to someone on the fourm! I had the Injen Power Flow Full intake, been waiting on this Vararam for a while now mine should ship this week there at #26 , im number 27!

From what i hear it is worth it and they are a great intake/great customer service ... so ill let you know what my take on the intake would be soon!

2010 Camaro 2LT RS M6 VR/BS
Flowmaster AMT Axle Back
Vararam Ram Air Intake
P13 Plazma Bulbs
DT Shorty Headers
Heritage Grill
Blacked-Out Taillights and Side Markers

Victoryred69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
To be really honest, if I already had injen or any other intake except for K&N(CEL popper)I dont think I would go throught the trouble of selling, uninstalling, buying, reinstalling just for couple more ponies. Your CAI is a very nice intake too. On janetty's testing it had the lowest IAT plus the way its designed I think it will be very good at defending heat soak at a stop.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
Got the CAI, Inc brand and keeping it. Are you really relying on an intake to boost your HP that much? Not happening I'm afraid. While there is an improved difference, it's "barely there" at best. It gave my stock setup a little more growl and she "breathes" better now. Good Luck..
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
Agarc
Dr.Frankenstein

Drives: 15gt
I stuck with Injen , plus i got it on sale for like 270
Agarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I don't think I will be defecting from my KN. I love it, and it's not a (CEL popper) for me.

1. I don't think it will be worth the extra money and headache of trying to sell my KN for a loss, and then buying the more expensive Vararam.
2. I'm still bitter at Vararam for the runaround and poor business practices they exhibited in our communications back when they were first talking about making an intake.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacFan View Post
Got the CAI, Inc brand and keeping it. Are you really relying on an intake to boost your HP that much? Not happening I'm afraid. While there is an improved difference, it's "barely there" at best. It gave my stock setup a little more growl and she "breathes" better now. Good Luck..
Respect your opinion, but on the V6 it does make a noticeable difference...and with guys dynoing 20 to 25+ HP more adding an (Vararam) intake on an otherwise stock car...thats a difference worth spending money on.

Now is it worth going from CAI to Vararam....I definitely think the Vararam performs better, but how much better is still sort've unknown. I know we've had former AirRaid and (I think) K&N owners switch and they say they feel the difference.

Thats why I'm changing up as well.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
I went from the Ingen to VR recently. I found no difference from a hard launch to 60 mph, about the same.

That said, there maybe some gain left if your going down the 1/4 mile at the higher speeds and I'll find out.

If not racing, I'd be fine with the Ingen or some of the other v6 intakes.

Since I'm staying NA, I just like playing around.

Anyone need an Injen?

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #9
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Respect your opinion, but on the V6 it does make a noticeable difference...and with guys dynoing 20 to 25+ HP more adding an (Vararam) intake on an otherwise stock car...thats a difference worth spending money on.

Now is it worth going from CAI to Vararam....I definitely think the Vararam performs better, but how much better is still sort've unknown. I know we've had former AirRaid and (I think) K&N owners switch and they say they feel the difference.

Thats why I'm changing up as well.
KM, I know you're kinda the go-to guy when it comes to V6 exhaust and bolt-ons...so how many independent dynos are there showing 20+ HP?
Old 07-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #10
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
+1
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
I swapped. My K&N was running well, and never once had an issue of a CEL. Those thinking the K&N is CEL prone should really research it some and find out why. I had no issues installing it at all. I remember a guy posting here about the Injen causing a CEL and it turned out he hadn't tightened his gas cap. There may have been some of the black plastic ones ship out without being within spec, but aren't some of us having mounting issues on the Vararam because they weren't quite in spec either? Both companies have stepped up to correct any issues by either shipping new pieces or refunding money so I really don't understand the complaint. There's plenty of K&N users out there wondering what they did right that they don't have a CEL.
To the OP, I swapped to Vararam and at highway speeds it is night and day. At a launch I wasn't having issues breaking tires loose before so it isn't as noticeable. I swapped because I could see how this design was superior to what was on the car. It does keep the IAT cooler than what my K&N was.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #12
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
I went from the Ingen to VR recently. I found no difference from a hard launch to 60 mph, about the same.

That said, there maybe some gain left if your going down the 1/4 mile at the higher speeds and I'll find out.

If not racing, I'd be fine with the Ingen or some of the other v6 intakes.

Since I'm staying NA, I just like playing around.

Anyone need an Injen?
Keeping my Injen powerflow as I dont race.I also did IAT relocate as Mrray did to help keep the temps even cooler or at least more consistant so the power and timing stay a bit more optimum, at least I hope.I was in 95 degree temps yesterday and the car kept running strong, not as good as in the 70's but strong enough so as not to notice any big drop off on the freeway or street, none that only a stop watch would prove anyway. If making 25 hp on the dyno versus 12-14 or whatever Injen really does, then why not more 0-60 difference? There should be some you would think. Will stay tunned for more input from everyone.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
heres what I found with the Vararam results. Without looking at Rolnslos numbers, the Vararam is definitly as good as the Injen true CAI. So with the Vararam, your getting the same results of the Injen (win) with the chance(saying chance because it still needs to be proven) of having better performance at higher speeds.
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Vararam is a win win situation in a way. Whether its worth switching CAIs over is debatable. Would I personally do it? Probably not unless it was a true miracle intake lol
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote