Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 12-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #15
elsololobo02

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Agree, call them to find out or visit their website, a list is compiled and easliy accessable. Either way Trifecta can help you out.
elsololobo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #16
Dobbins

Drives: 2010 LLT CGM STS Turbo- 500 HP V6
The shop that is installing the turbo is an authorized dealer of the STS turbo so they dyno tune it there and have already done one on a 370z. The guy made it sound like a real good plan, and I brought up the trifecta tune with him but he said it would be better to do theirs (which is no extra charge to installation) where they do the tune and add their own tweaks with their dyno system there. Also, if I am not satisfied there is a trifecta tuner very close to me. But you are saying that it will only get 315-325 rwhp? Im aiming for 400 and I thought that that should have been what it was supposed to do. Is 315-325 actually realistic to what it may do? The guy at the shop told me it should have no problem getting 400 at the wheels..
Dobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:09 AM   #17
cjt037
boost+v6=me=:)

Drives: Turbo'd 6er
If they don't use the base tune. With 6 psi don't expect 400. Make them provide the dyno sheet.
cjt037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #18
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Trifecta all the way!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #19
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbins View Post
The shop that is installing the turbo is an authorized dealer of the STS turbo so they dyno tune it there and have already done one on a 370z. The guy made it sound like a real good plan, and I brought up the trifecta tune with him but he said it would be better to do theirs (which is no extra charge to installation) where they do the tune and add their own tweaks with their dyno system there. Also, if I am not satisfied there is a trifecta tuner very close to me. But you are saying that it will only get 315-325 rwhp? Im aiming for 400 and I thought that that should have been what it was supposed to do. Is 315-325 actually realistic to what it may do? The guy at the shop told me it should have no problem getting 400 at the wheels..
Ok... bit confused... Whose tuning system are they using? Are they telling you they can tune it with something other than the Trifecta system? I would double check with them and find out exactly how they plan on tuning your car? Do they have any experience with a V6 Camaro?
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #20
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Ok... bit confused... Whose tuning system are they using? Are they telling you they can tune it with something other than the Trifecta system? I would double check with them and find out exactly how they plan on tuning your car? Do they have any experience with a V6 Camaro?
Exactly.

Trifecta is the only forced induction tuner for the V6 this community has seen.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #21
Dobbins

Ok they said that they take the tune STS gets them and take it a step further using their dyno to get maximum performance out of it. He said they should have no problem getting that. I will ask for the dyno sheet and if I am unhappy with it there is a trifecta tuner that I have talked to that I will see. The shop hasnt done a camaro yet but they got a 170 rwhp gain on the 370z with their tuning so it seems legit.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #22
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbins View Post
Ok they said that they take the tune STS gets them and take it a step further using their dyno to get maximum performance out of it. He said they should have no problem getting that. I will ask for the dyno sheet and if I am unhappy with it there is a trifecta tuner that I have talked to that I will see. The shop hasnt done a camaro yet but they got a 170 rwhp gain on the 370z with their tuning so it seems legit.
Ok... and what is he going to use to manipulate the STS base tune?
Old 12-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #23
Dobbins

they have a dyno and tune it with that to its peak performance is what they said.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #24
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
You may want to ask them some detailed questions. STS provides the Trifecta tune with their kit. You have to have the Trifecta Dealer software to change that tune. That is about $2,500, so unless they specialize in cars that can only be tuned with the Trifecta software (V6 Camaros, Cobalts,etc...), they are unlikely to have it. They could do an email tune with Vince or a Trifecta reseller, but it probably best that you confirm exactly how they will be doing the tune first. If you don't you may find you have your car sitting on a Dyno without a way to modify the tune.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #25
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
You may want to ask them some detailed questions. STS provides the Trifecta tune with their kit. You have to have the Trifecta Dealer software to change that tune. That is about $2,500, so unless they specialize in cars that can only be tuned with the Trifecta software (V6 Camaros, Cobalts,etc...), they are unlikely to have it. They could do an email tune with Vince or a Trifecta reseller, but it probably best that you confirm exactly how they will be doing the tune first. If you don't you may find you have your car sitting on a Dyno without a way to modify the tune.
Exactly!

To sum it up.. ask the "What software are you going to use to tweak/modify the base STS tune?"

My wild guess.. they've never touched a V6 Camaro and are ASSUMING they can just use HP Tuners, SCT, Diablo, etc...
Old 12-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #26
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Curious to why your using a shop that isn't experianced with the LLT and it's qwirks....there is only one crankcase evac system that will work with it and the STS version does not. Ask more with the LLT turbo's and see how they solved it. And that is only one of the issues that make the LLT unique for FI builds.
good points... don't think any of the STS owners just installed the system and have it be problem free... seems it takes quite a bit of extra effort to get the car running correctly... IMHO...
Old 12-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #27
Dobbins

Yes I just talked to him actually and they said they would use the HP Tune or Diablo. They have not done a v6 camaro but have done numerous cars and have done an SS that they got to 610 at the wheels. They seem very confident that they can do it. They are close with the STS company and have set records for power on cars using STS kits. The tuner there has been tuning for many years and said this should be no problem. He has heard of the trifecta tune but says they will be able to get the power out of their systems as well. They do not charge any extra for the tune so I will trust that they can do it and like I've said if I am disappointed there is a trifecta tuner in my same town that I can go to that charges about $350 for the tune.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #28
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
I would email Vince and make sure he is available the day you plan to tune. That way you have a back up. I would lay money on them not being able to tune it with what they have. Better safe than sorry. And as for not being able to get the power, EVERY turbo v6 has Trifecta tuning as far as I know.