Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-29-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Dear Fbodfather please answer this.

Hi this is a public appeal to Fbodfather or anyone that can contact or persuade him to answer this. I know your/he’s overwhelmed with private messages and real work and It's also been the holiday weekend, hope you had a good one. I've tried private message rout with no luck. I'm about to place my order but no one here or elsewhere can answer this for sure. I keep getting conflicting answers from people. I brought up the issue about headroom with sunroof option around a month ago. Someone else brought it up recently too, but no definitive or semi official answer. No actual numbers or estimates by anyone involved in the program (as far as I know). I know most of you don't care about an inch less but most of you are nowhere near my height. I'm 6'7 and don't want to order a car I won't be able to drive because it's an inch shorter than the dimensions quoted. I've heard head room would be the same, others say shorter, PLEASE clarify. I don't want to keep beating a dead horse here but till I get someone that’s involved with the program to give me an estimate shorter or taller I don't think I can order and make a 35 thousand dollar mistake. My heart is really set on having an open roof but I don't know if I can take the chance, if it is shorter and I have no choice then I'll get over it, but please help. I've see the victory red R/S on display but at a distance and not being able to try it out or inspect the interior roof. I've made every possible attempt weather to see it in person, ask online, look it up online and had no luck. As a long time member of this site and someone who’s owned 3 Camaros I beg for your support, Thank you.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
i sent him a pm about this about two months ago and his reply is that it will be the same amount of headroom with or without the sunroof. he also went on to say that they attempted to make the sunroof recline into the roof but in doing so that they would have had to increase the height of the car which would have, in turn, caused the car to lose its sleakness and look very disproportionate.
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Man your post is hard to read. What I gather is you are a tall ass dude and hope the sunroof doesn't cut short headroom, is that about right?

note that it does not slide into the roof, it actually pops up...so there would be no reason it would take away from headroom over a hardtop.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
They actually wanted to chop the top lower for looks but the Holden team said nope. Which I agree there was a sanity level for the coupe. It's gonna be as comfortable as any 2 door out there.

Anyway they know about fitting that's like old issue. It's been talked about by GM staff in video's and articles.

There is a sanity level for a sport coupe headroom where you just can't go any more without hurting the Aerodynamic drag and look of the vehicle.

Trailblazer SS?
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
Man your post is hard to read. What I gather is you are a tall ass dude and hope the sunroof doesn't cut short headroom, is that about right?

note that it does not slide into the roof, it actually pops up...so there would be no reason it would take away from headroom over a hardtop.
Actually, the sunroof still does knock some room out. You forget the sunroof comes with the shade, which is about an inch thick. and it slides back into the roof behind the sunroof. Check out any GM model with the tilt and slide sunroof.

So in total, a sunroof equipped roof loses about 1.5 inches of headroom compared to a non sunroof equipped vehicle. I had to do my homework to made sure i fit in my Cobalt, but this guy sounds taller yet.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:01 AM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Actually, the sunroof still does knock some room out. You forget the sunroof comes with the shade, which is about an inch thick. and it slides back into the roof behind the sunroof. Check out any GM model with the tilt and slide sunroof.

So in total, a sunroof equipped roof loses about 1.5 inches of headroom compared to a non sunroof equipped vehicle. I had to do my homework to made sure i fit in my Cobalt, but this guy sounds taller yet.
Even without the shade, headroom with a sun roof is generally 1-1.5 inch less then without out as they have to make room for all the gears and supports for the sun roof.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:10 AM   #7
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
I got a PM from Fbodfather it said

"I can tell you this:

We had a fellow that was 6' 6" tall -- and weighed in at about 350 lbs -- and he said he was comfortable!"

Im 80 pounds shy of the weight but I guess from the answer I'll be ok.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
96CAMaro

Drives: '02 Impreza 2.5RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireresq157 View Post
I got a PM from Fbodfather it said

"I can tell you this:

We had a fellow that was 6' 6" tall -- and weighed in at about 350 lbs -- and he said he was comfortable!"

Im 80 pounds shy of the weight but I guess from the answer I'll be ok.
Wow. Very impressive.
96CAMaro is offline   Reply With Quote