Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
MMaglione
Mike "Meage"

Drives: Aqua Blue 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via AIM to MMaglione
Lightbulb Gill Paint Chips

i wasnt sure where to put this but this looked like a good place lol...so when i saw that i had a lot of chips on both sides of my camaro with only 12k miles i thought to myself "this def. cant be right" so i started looking on here a little. When i saw that a lot of people are having the same problem it kinda ticked me....i mean you gotta expect chips and what not but not this many this fast...anyway i decided to email Chevy...i told them how many miles are on the car and about how i have a lot of chips and how a lot others are having the same problem..so my point....i think that more people should complain about it by phone or email or letters or whatever so that maybe this problem can be dealt with...im just one who thinks that you should get what you pay for and after paying 30k+ on my car i think the paint should last a little longer right? i mean tell me if im wrong but this is what i believe..hopefully more feel the same way and we can make a little bit of a difference even if the difference is made on the cars being built now...anyway thanks for letting me ramble i love this site its great for info and meeting new people...like i said if you have a minute go on the chevy site and go to "contact us" and send them an email...unless im crazy that is idk lol!!!!
MMaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
good idea.maybe gm will improve their paint.
i don't think they are going to admit bad paint.they would be repainting about 90,000 cars.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
MMaglione
Mike "Meage"

yea who knows....i mean if they get enough complaints hopefully they will do something for us but at least they might fix for future cars
Old 04-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Garrett
G-Man

Drives: 2ss Aqua Blue Mettalic
I have less than 3000 miles and started noticing chips. I just put a clear bra on entire hood, entire bumper, entire doors gills and rockers. I feel its the only way I can enjoy driving the car without flipping over stone chips.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
Kaoz

Drives: Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
I have less than 3000 miles and started noticing chips. I just put a clear bra on entire hood, entire bumper, entire doors gills and rockers. I feel its the only way I can enjoy driving the car without flipping over stone chips.
The issue is so ridiculous that warranty should cover clearbra install. It's a huge engineering flaw, can you imagine the poor souls driving these cars in northern winters with salt/sand/stones? Keep in mind they plastered the Camaro everywhere during the winter olympics.

I'm insanely careful with my car and I've already had to fix 10 chips in under 5k miles.
3000 - 06/24 - Ready to schedule
3100 - 07/23 - Scheduled
3300 - 07/23 - Sequenced for production
3400 - 07/25 - Broadcast
3800 - 08/03 - VIN
Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
joeaux
Kicker!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 2LT/RS
I traded in an '05 STi for an '08 STi and the '08 had the same problems. Would get chips on the rear rocker in front of the rear wheels. Subaru finally decided it was a real problem (after a zillion people bitched) and would repaint the area then install clear bra to protect it. I posted in another thread that I believe the OEM splash guards work to prevent/minimize this. My wife got her six before I got my eight. She had like 3000 miles on hers when I put the splash guards on. She had chips in the gill area. Now she has 10,000 miles and I have like 3000. We've had the splash guards on both cars since I got mine. She had no more chips that I can see and I have none. IMHO thie splash guards work. I like the look of them too but that's a personal opinion. I know that on the '08 STi the clear coating worked but it was starting to get kinda beat up when I traded the STi for the 2SS. My .02 worth.
-joe-
Old 04-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
ZombieEatsYou

Drives: "Bmblbee" 2010 RY 2SS/RS. VIN 12043
I have OEM splash guards as well (since Fall) and have not seen any chips in the gill area.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
MMaglione
Mike "Meage"

ok so i got a call about the chips from customer service...the guy didnt really seem to know anything but he told me to take it in for a full inspection and since im still under warranty they might fix it im def. gonna ask about it happening again and if depending on their answer i am asking about them installing a clear bra at least in that area...i will be taking it in tomorrow morning..i will let you guys know what happens..hopefully it all goes well!!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:17 AM   #9
trashauler

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS RS 2008 Trailblazer
So who did you email? I think if we all send our complaints to the same person we may get something done. My car only has 700 miles and I baby it. It has 3 chips on the passanger side already.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I have two in the gill area, one on each side.

I have one chip on my hood, and another on the passenger door.

I have had the splashguards on since the day I picked it up in September. I also drove the car occasionally this winter, and once got behind a snow plow. ARGH..

My car does have the clear bra on the front bumper and on the mirrors, nothing on the hood because of the rally stripes.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
MMaglione
Mike "Meage"

i emailed the "contact us" link on the chevy website.....but yea i def. dont baby my car its my daily but there is like 10 to 15 chips on each side of her so i def. want something done haha
Old 04-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #12
Patfan1987
CGM is the Best! Thx GM

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Camaro, Auto + Sunroof
I just installed the splash guards and had clear bra put on mirrors, hood, front bumper, lights, and rockers but not the gills. I had one chip on the gills, two on the hood bumper crease line, and my front bumper was riddled with paint chips before i had the clear bra put on :( only problem with the car

Proud Owner of a CGM 2 LT/RS Auto Transmission w/Sunroof and Spare Tire
Patfan1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
MMaglione
Mike "Meage"

yea it sucks...so i went to my dealership today and they told me that the chips arent under warranty...the guy said there was really nothing he could do....but the guy who called me after i sent the email said he would call me back monday to see how it went, so im just going to tell him and hopefully he can help me out in some wat...im hoping that more people are sending emails and complaints maybe it will help us all out to get it fixed ; )
Old 04-10-2010, 01:25 AM   #14
Brandondeleon
Camaro Dreamer

Drives: Hyundai
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaglione View Post
yea it sucks...so i went to my dealership today and they told me that the chips arent under warranty...the guy said there was really nothing he could do....but the guy who called me after i sent the email said he would call me back monday to see how it went, so im just going to tell him and hopefully he can help me out in some wat...im hoping that more people are sending emails and complaints maybe it will help us all out to get it fixed ; )
I would definately like to know what chevy has to say about this problem and if theres anyway to fix it. This a huge flaw in this car and i'm not happy about it so please let me know what they say when they give you a call back since it seems as if everyone is having this problem.
Brandondeleon is offline   Reply With Quote