Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 01-01-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
Mike88

Drives: 94 Camaro, 05 Magnum
gas guzzler tax

I heard about this new federal gas guzzler tax on the radio today...apparently in 2008 we're supposed to start (or continue, if we already are) paying a gas guzzler tax of up to $4000. I'm wondering what the criteria for the tax is based on. Do they take into consideration fuel mileage or is it just based on displacement? If its measured by displacement then we're screwed cuz most of the engine's that are commonly mentioned for the base V8 are above 6 litres. If its measured by fuel mileage then I don't think we have much to worry about, especially if they go with AFM on the base V8. I'm guessing we'll see something around 30mpg (I'm old school and I'm too lazy to do the calculations to put that into litres/100kms) with AFM, 25-28mpg without.
Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:06 AM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
It's based on miles per gallon. I just don't recall what the cut off is or what the MPG's need to be to stay out of that tax bracket.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
Mike88

^are you sure that's what its based on here in Canada?
Old 01-02-2008, 12:22 AM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
hmmm..in Canada? Missed that part. No, I'm not. I just remember talking gas guzzler tax a while ago and the talk saying something to the affect that if the Camaro didn't get over "X" amount of gallons, then it would get slapped w/ the gas guzzler tax...hence the skip shift in the 4th Gens forcing people going certain speeds and under certain RPMS to shift into 4th from 1st to save on gas. That was one of GM's ways to "up" their MPG's and steer clear from the gas guzzler tax.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
This is how it is in the US...not sure about Canada - but, I'd assume that regulations should be very similar:

EPA website

Quote:
The Gas Guzzler Tax for each vehicle is based on its combined city and highway fuel economy value. Manufacturers must follow U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) procedures to calculate the tax. The calculation uses a formula that weights fuel economy test results for city and highway driving cycles (the combined value is based on 55% city driving and 45% highway driving). Fuel economy values are calculated before sales begin for the model year. The total amount of the tax is determined later and is based on the total number of gas guzzler vehicles that were sold that year. It is assessed after production has ended for the model year and is paid by the vehicle manufacturer or importer.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
Power Junkie
GM give me my fix please!

Drives: 95 Toyota GT4
Location: England.. aka the EU's whipping boy!!! (but not for much longer, hopefully)
They apply that sort of thing here in the UK too except they go on Co2 emissions basically a newer twist on our Road Tax... some cars get a discount for being "green" but most get shafted...

But we've had the Mileage style tax for years as we pay Tax on fuel........... twice, in fact the Tax costs more than the fuel.

about £1.05 per Litre around 33p for the fuel, 54p Fuel Duty Tax and then 18p (ish) on V.a.t. (Value Added Tax)... crazy.
Power Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
Jay

Drives: Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
This is how it is in the US...not sure about Canada - but, I'd assume that regulations should be very similar:

EPA website
OMG

I suppose I get the idea behind it or the intention of it which is good, but 7000+, wow!!

J

"HEAVEN JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THE NOISE"
JAY
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
Jay

Alright fella's.... I got all worried about this so I went out searching.... here is a breif answer to the story....

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/193660

so its based on km/litre... not displacement..... or mpg, whatever you like to measure in.... so I think the new Camaro is in the clear of this tax.

JAY
Old 01-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
Mike88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Alright fella's.... I got all worried about this so I went out searching.... here is a breif answer to the story....

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/193660

so its based on km/litre... not displacement..... or mpg, whatever you like to measure in.... so I think the new Camaro is in the clear of this tax.
we're not sure about that yet until someone who knows how its measured in Canada can tell us for sure.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #10
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
we're not sure about that yet until someone who knows how its measured in Canada can tell us for sure.
dude, it explains how it will be measured in that gray box in the article to the right.... what we don't know is what the Camaro is gunna give in terms of km/litre or mpg.... either this or im confused as to what you were trying to say, lol... in which case excuse what I just said, lol.

JAY
Old 01-03-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Folks, I think we just found a Canadian tax that is less than the equivelent American one! Then again, we pay more tax on the gas itself so the government gets more money out of us anyway

oh, and 13L/100km = 18mpg! for sure the Camaro will clear that. The Camaro should average around 10L/100km or 23.5 mpg for the base V8, asuming they use all those nifto tricks they have now.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
Mike88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
dude, it explains how it will be measured in that gray box in the article to the right.... what we don't know is what the Camaro is gunna give in terms of km/litre or mpg.... either this or im confused as to what you were trying to say, lol... in which case excuse what I just said, lol.
yeah sorry...I have no idea what I was saying. I must have had a brain fart right at the moment I was writing that. Thanks for the info..that releaves my worries!
Old 01-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #13
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
yeah sorry...I have no idea what I was saying. I must have had a brain fart right at the moment I was writing that. Thanks for the info..that releaves my worries!
no problem

JAY
Old 01-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
$2,000 rebates:

Toyota Prius
Ford Escape HEV 4X4 (Hybrid)
Toyota Civc Hybrid $1,000 rebates:

Toyota Corolla
Mini Cooper M6
Saturn VUE Hybrid
Jeep Patriot
Chevy Impala flex fuel vehicle
Chrysler Sebring flex fuel vehicle

Vehicles hit by new levy
The new "Green Levy" applies to passenger vehicles, other than trucks, with these fuel efficiency ratings (litres/100 km):
13.0-13.9: $1,000
14.0-14.9: $2,000
15.0-15.9: $3,000
16.0 or more: $4,000 Source: Dept. of Finance
I just read that stuff again and someone made a mistake. I can't believe that our gas guzzler tax kicks in only when a car gets less than 18 mpg (thats US gallons for anyone who is confused 1 US gal = 3.8 L = 0.8 imp gal)
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote