Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 10-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
First time on the 1/8th.

Wow first time at the track. Had a fun time, even though I didn't get very good times with the fact I couldn't get any traction whatsoever. I'll post timeslips tomorrow, but for right now here's a video of one pass. It's against my brother's 2006 Duramax, with a pretty decent list of mods... My car is bone stock. I ran multiple passes, with a best time being a 9.1... with my 60FT killing me (best one was around a 2.2 I believe).

Last edited by a_Username; 10-06-2009 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Figured out how to embed video
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:59 AM   #2
S8ER01Z

Drives: Camaro Z28
Ah... the first trip to the track... Humble pie for most people.

Keep at it.. and remember this experience in future benchracing threads.
S8ER01Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:10 AM   #3
a_Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post
Ah... the first trip to the track... Humble pie for most people.

Keep at it.. and remember this experience in future benchracing threads.
Please don't tell me this is trying to insult the car or me.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:02 AM   #4
S8ER01Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
Not at all.. simply stating that a lot of people don't realize just how hard it can be to get great times out of their car. The first trip usually deflates peoples sails (hence...humbling).

Old 10-03-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Not at all.. simply stating that a lot of people don't realize just how hard it can be to get great times out of their car. The first trip usually deflates peoples sails (hence...humbling).

Yep, I totally agree!!! Everything thinks they rip off a magazine time their first time to the track! It's a whole new world at the track!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
No, i would definitely not take it as an insult! It actually an encouragement... Basically don't worry about your first few times out... The running at the track can be a lot more difficult than it look! LOL
Old 10-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
a_Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
No, i would definitely not take it as an insult! It actually an encouragement... Basically don't worry about your first few times out... The running at the track can be a lot more difficult than it look! LOL
Honestly not to make excuses but that track blew. Some guy had a heavily modded old school mustang and came up to me and said nice car and all that jazz. He even said that the track blew and he couldn't get any good times either because of traction issues. It was like the only people breaking 8's were the ones with slicks or 4WD. My brother tried launching in 2WD once and couldn't get past the 9's either. Speaking of that... Any tips to where I could hook better off the line? I thought of maybe feathering it or something but tips would be appreciated.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
Diesel Truck

Drives: 2011 Chevy Duramax 4x4
I'm his brother. I was in the Duramax. I'll agree with him, the track does blow. The only reason I'm cutting my good 60ft times is because I run in 4x4. I drove his car in two passes and there wasn't anything you could do for it to hook.

I'm going through his slips and its a constant 2.2 60fts and worse. To bad you Camaro guys aren't AWD....
Diesel Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #9
S8ER01Z

Well to be honest track prep plays into it but weather and talent play into it as well (Are an auto or manual?) My best 60ft to date is only a 2.09 and most of mine are 2.1x... the trick for me is just getting a smooth launch and nailing my shift points without making mistakes. The rest is just the conditions.. near 0DA and you run great times... beyond that you just do 'ok'... in reality the times don't matter THAT much... it's correcting the mistakes and becoming consistant that I focus on. For instance on my best pass to date I hit the rev limiter on my 2~3 shift... Prior to that I could only manage 13.2 ~ 13.3 and I would hit the limiter almost every shift or simply screw up shifting into 3rd (no drill mod here). I also lift when I shift but not much at all... I will be trying some no lift shifts at the next trip to the track but normally I pull back just enough to stay off the limiter and hit the next gear. It all takes practice...best of luck next time out.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
a_Username

Quote:
Well to be honest track prep plays into it but weather and talent play into it as well (Are an auto or manual?) My best 60ft to date is only a 2.09 and most of mine are 2.1x... the trick for me is just getting a smooth launch and nailing my shift points without making mistakes. The rest is just the conditions.. near 0DA and you run great times... beyond that you just do 'ok'... in reality the times don't matter THAT much... it's correcting the mistakes and becoming consistant that I focus on. For instance on my best pass to date I hit the rev limiter on my 2~3 shift... Prior to that I could only manage 13.2 ~ 13.3 and I would hit the limiter almost every shift or simply screw up shifting into 3rd (no drill mod here). I also lift when I shift but not much at all... I will be trying some no lift shifts at the next trip to the track but normally I pull back just enough to stay off the limiter and hit the next gear. It all takes practice...best of luck next time out.
I'm an automatic. I was consistent on all the passes with the same modes. Sport Mode/TC Off passes, running two 9.7's and a 9.6 (the one's were I spun the most). The other two 9.1's were with the Sport Mode/Competitive Mode on. The 9.3 I was doing was with Sport Mode/TC On... I just really don't know how to practice hooking. It was 57 degrees out, I really just think it was the track.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #11
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Welcome to the addiction my friend....keep at it
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #12
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

I know I'm an LLT... but I find I get my best launches by leaving TC on, launching from idle and flashing the converter... works much better than stalling the car up... My last outing I managed a 2.086 60'! That's with the 20" RS tires/wheels and an open diff!

For the unfamiliar with "flashing"

"Flash occurs the instant you release the foot-brake and the rotating inertia (which is "stored" in the engine-flexplate-converter) is released. This flash speed can be anywhere from 500-2500 RPM higher than the foot-brake-stall speed. In a racecar, the typical “flash –the-converter process” usually works like this: Stage at idle, hold the brakes with one foot and "flash" the converter (flooring the gas pedal with the other foot, and simultaneously releasing the foot-brake) the instant the last yellow on the Christmas Tree comes on. The sensation is a form of “slingshot” effect as the car leaves. Some cars work better by flashing the converter. Some combinations work better by outright stalling the converter."

(from http://www.competitionplus.com/03_25...confusion.html)
Old 10-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
a_Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
I know I'm an LLT... but I find I get my best launches by leaving TC on, launching from idle and flashing the converter... works much better than stalling the car up... My last outing I managed a 2.086 60'! That's with the 20" RS tires/wheels and an open diff!

For the unfamiliar with "flashing"

"Flash occurs the instant you release the foot-brake and the rotating inertia (which is "stored" in the engine-flexplate-converter) is released. This flash speed can be anywhere from 500-2500 RPM higher than the foot-brake-stall speed. In a racecar, the typical “flash –the-converter process” usually works like this: Stage at idle, hold the brakes with one foot and "flash" the converter (flooring the gas pedal with the other foot, and simultaneously releasing the foot-brake) the instant the last yellow on the Christmas Tree comes on. The sensation is a form of “slingshot” effect as the car leaves. Some cars work better by flashing the converter. Some combinations work better by outright stalling the converter."

(from http://www.competitionplus.com/03_25...confusion.html)
Thanks for the advice mayne. I'll try it this friday!
Old 10-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #14
silverfox

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I got a 1.68 60' today by using 18 inch zo6 wheels and bfg drag radials with tc and stabilitrac turned off(the double tap)
1/8 mile run at richmond dragway but i lost that race with an et of 7.81
the thing is i did a big burnout to heat up those dr's. My rt on that run was.0619 so that helped
silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote