Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-27-2009, 12:07 AM   #85
ZYAL8R

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
I've been very reserved when it comes to making a comment following fbod's posts. Mainly b/c I wanted to say something besides a quick Kiss@ass comment like so many do. I deduce that they just want to be "in the club" by making a quick meaningless post doing the kiss@ass thing.

I want to be "in the club" too, but I want to feel like I belong too. I want to feel like I've always been a Camaro owner (which of course I can only dream about). The closest I've come is being a passenger in a 2nd Gen. @ 105 MPH driven by a sassy red-head that would not QUIT, and getting to do a burn-out in a 3rd Gen. that another gal let me borrow for a go-round.

So when that March 2006 issue of Motor Trend came out w/that RJT concept on the cover-----which I still have BTW----something jumped out and said "You want it, you need it, it needs you".

Back then......and it seems like soooo long ago...I was really just dreaming about this bad@ss car. But since mid 2008, the reality of the concept came to ME full-on-front-and-center. To say I was wayyyy behind is an understatement. Hats-off and to every guy and gal who knew....And to those who weren't so sure.....BUT kept the faith anyway.

Then came this "by the skin of my teeth" website called CAMARO5. No kidding, a real live site that lets the "Stang Gang" and the "Chally-Chumps" join in too, to say their piece. In a very short sentence to describe "C5", this site rocks all the way to the moon.

Then, not long after joining, you get to hear from the likes of the Fbod. One of the people who are responsible for "bringin' it"!!!! Then you hear this, then that, then another thing. Pretty soon it wears you the heck out. Then when you think things are looking 'not as quickly as...YOU... had envisioned', along comes a VERY POSITIVE THREAD started by the Fbod himself.

Fbodfather finally gets "THE CAMARO" he has put so much HEART AND SOUL into. Deserving of a lost tear or two.....................Damn right......and more!
But to read the words that STARTED this particular thread..and attempt to comprehend them makes me want to shed a tear...really. FBODFATHER's Soul is shining here. And I, along with scores of others, are gonna be...almost......as proud to have one of THE WORLD'S BEST CARS in our possession!

To Scott Settlemire: Thanks for laying down your blood, sweat and tears for something you believe and love. And for the short term , thanks for laying down your thoughts in this thread.

Long live The General!

2SS/RS on the way baby, yeah!

84' Chevy S-10
91' Chevy S-10 Ext. Cab
90' GMC Sierra Reg. Cab 350 V8
2003 GMC Sierra HD 4x4 Crew 6.0
2005 GMC Yukon 5.3
2008 GMC Ext. Cab 4x4 5.3
2008 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3
This truck man is about to go for something a little more sporty.
ZYAL8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:34 AM   #86
kunkelz28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
I am gonna dream about the camaro tonight, thanks Fbodfather
kunkelz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:55 AM   #87
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
Man, is it the 16th of March yet ?
fad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #88
jim57fi
jim57fi

Drives: '57 BelAir, '57,'61,'03 Vettes
Scott,
I'm really glad to hear that it's quiet at freeway speeds. Those of us with C5 and C6 Corvettes will really love a little less road/tire noise. Thanks for the posts, can't wait to take delivery of mine.
jim57fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:06 AM   #89
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
Wow. I am again impressed by your true enthusiasm. And the 2010 Camaro SS is a truly great car. But that post was a little over the top. The interior is very quiet? Seriously something I don't even consider when choosing a performance coupe. The Pirelli winter tires that don't come on the car are great in the snow? If I manage to buy one it will never see the snow, so again seriously not something I even consider. And the application of the Stevie Wonder lyrics and equating them to the once in a lifetime acquisition of a 2010 Camaro SS? Well, that was what really took the post over the top. And everyone here better keep up with the payments on their new Camaros, or that "this is mine you can't take it" lyric won't apply when the repo man comes to get it.
If his post was a little over the top, yours was just downright rude. I guess he forgot to read the sticky that indicates every post should conform to your expectations.

I for one appreciated the tone as it accurately indicated the effect that the car has had on Scott. This is extremely personal for Scott...the culmination of several years of very focused effort. Do you have a iconic mass marketed product to show for your last several years of work? I hate to be rude, but seriously...you should temper your remarks with a little insight.

Scott...you're post left me more enthusiastic than ever...if I've guessed correctly, you're probably your own worst critic. So if you're this impressed with your own efforts....I can't imagine how happy we're all going to be....

Thanks.
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:33 AM   #90
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Well I am not sure there is a better American Song Writer alive today who's lyrics match up so well with how Scott and many others feel about this car. My wife and I may very well play that song on on our way home with the new 2010 CAMARO.

Our first NEW car we bought as a recently married couple was a 75 CAMARO type LT. OUR 1st loan!

Within 6 months we traded it for our 1st VETTE and my wife started her passion for manual transmissions. Twenty four years later my son's introduced her to HONDA because GM now made nothing that she wanted "with a stick".

For 5 years I have tried to get her to look at newer GM products. NO DEAL! In Oct 08 we were 2 days away from a new RED 2009 ACCORD COUPE for her birthday when we decided the 2010 CAMARO was her next car.

She is looking forward to this car like a new baby. We have had 21 new window stickers since 74. This one is special above all the others...... so "Honda Lou " will be an orphan in 6 weeks. The 7 month wait is well worth it.

If you can take this HAPPY Honda fan and convert her, then GM has done everything they had to do with this car. Now Honda is discounting the ACCORD and we for the very 1st time are not upset to pay MSRP and CASH.

The Heart Beat has been put back in CHEVROLET!!

Time to put it back in AMERICA.

Job well done CAMARO TEAM.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:44 AM   #91
NUCAR

Drives: 68 big block
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post

The Heart Beat has been put back in CHEVROLET!!

Time to put it back in AMERICA.

Job well done CAMARO TEAM.

AMEN! Let's Roll!!
NUCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:35 AM   #92
CamaroSSforme
Got my two

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - RJT/Black
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSSforme
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
well -- keep in mind that the Camaro must appeal to a wide audience.

You may not care about quietness -- but others do. I'm not talking engine noise -- (which I suspect many will modify the exhaust..) I'm talking tire roar -- now -- I don't know about everyone else, but our disciples told us that the car must be more refined -- it MUST be a 21st century Camaro -- so -- if you want noise -- crank up the Boston Accoustics Stereo -- or put on an accessory exhaust system -- or tear out the insulation for that matter....... Me? I can hear the LS3 talking to me -- but, at a steady 70mph on the Ohio turnpike -- a GREAT drive and no 'droning' and now loud tire roar........and that makes me happy -- and I think it will make a lot of people happy........time will tell.

Many of our buyers will have no choice but to drive their Camaros every day. ("Mom" Settlemire being one of them.....) You can bet that anyone who DOES have to drive the Camaro in the snow wants to hear about snow tires. (and if you'll read thru the thread -- my statement is proven..)

As to the Stevie Wonder lyrics -- please go back and read what I said -- something along the lines of "you have to walk in my shoes to understand" -- I get it that some don't understand it -- I ALSO understand that some do!

Sorry that you felt it was over the top! (on the other hand -- mebbe you just need to drive a 2010 Camaro SS!)
Scott,

Hopefully you'll read this:

As I said earlier...thank you for the snow tire bit. I needed to hear it

My first NEW GM car was the 99' Regal GS (owned man used ones). It is still my wife's favorite car of all the ones we've owned since then (and that includes Lexus' Acuras and BMW's) but the one real complaint about that car was the horrid road noise from the rear tires. GM's strides since then in interiors should be commended. Our Acadia's interior is top notch and it's dead quiet in there as is our Aura. Had the Camaro been any other way, I'd have been rather upset..in fact it would have been one of the only deal breakers for me.

I simply refuse to go back to the days of getting a headache from road and wind noise competing with conversations and the radio. Many people think that means that you'll not be able to hear the engine, but that isn't the case...you'll hear it's wonderful note with the windows up..it just won't be overpowering everything else.

Keep up the good work..and get me my freaking Camaro already!
CamaroSSforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #93
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Radz, sorry to overstep you and the other mods who have posted here.

But, I had deleted the Off topic posts as they were pretty much sucking the life out of this thread.

As Radz said,

Keep it on topic. There are plenty of places to voice yourselves on ABL.

And thanks Scott. Keep us posted please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
In my lifetime, we've owned five GM vehicles. The road noise was pretty bad in all of them, horrible in the Saturn. I, for one, am glad that the Camaro's been properly insulated from noise.

And anyone who lives in the Midwest knows that snow tires in winter are a must on any RWD daily driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
If his post was a little over the top, yours was just downright rude. I guess he forgot to read the sticky that indicates every post should conform to your expectations.

I for one appreciated the tone as it accurately indicated the effect that the car has had on Scott. This is extremely personal for Scott...the culmination of several years of very focused effort. Do you have a iconic mass marketed product to show for your last several years of work? I hate to be rude, but seriously...you should temper your remarks with a little insight.

Scott...you're post left me more enthusiastic than ever...if I've guessed correctly, you're probably your own worst critic. So if you're this impressed with your own efforts....I can't imagine how happy we're all going to be....

Thanks.
I don't understand why there those who don't care about little things like this. Please 'father - don't hate me for this criticism, but I think that's one of biggest downfalls of the 4th. Gen; attention to detail wasn't there (I'll admit, from the two that I had/have owned, I never cared about the details - I wanted the power ) There was that huge hump in the floor from the exhaust, visability wasn't that good, the windshield was so laid back that glass distortion would give my wife nausea after a few minutes from driving in the car, LOL, etc. Since buying my '02, I've purchased other cars that have had more attention to these little details and I've come to appreciate the qualities and won't buy cars that don't have them. I say for the Team for attention to the details. I think these are going to be cars we're all truly proud of owning and driving.

I ask that any and all details be shared as you have the time to post. I'd love to learn all the little things about this car and look forward to all the upcoming posts that we'll see once cars start getting to their respective owners.

Thanks for sharing

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #94
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Thanks for sharing Scott! A great post by a great man, from a great company, about a great car!
I was glad to see you included some relevant information regarding snow, regardless of the southerners that have their head stuck up their ass! Way to go!

Good news about Camaro living up to a 21st Century Sports car as well!
Old 02-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #95
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckWS6TA View Post
Driving in snow with a Camaro = NO.

I would kill myself if I lived up north. Seriously.
It's really not that hard at all to drive these kind of cars in the snow. Unless you are talking 2'-3' of snow or more I've had mustangs, trans am, camaro, vette all daily drivers in the winter snow and never issues or accidents, many times in over 1' of powder. That was even using all-season tires, I didn't even use ice/snow tires which would make it even easier.
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #96
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Pics or it didn't ha.....er, great post!

And anyone who's down with Stevie is down with me!
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #97
gto_in_nc

Drives: 1997 Jeep Wrangler -for now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
well -- keep in mind that the Camaro must appeal to a wide audience.

You may not care about quietness -- but others do. I'm not talking engine noise -- (which I suspect many will modify the exhaust..) I'm talking tire roar -- now -- I don't know about everyone else, but our disciples told us that the car must be more refined -- it MUST be a 21st century Camaro -- so -- if you want noise -- crank up the Boston Accoustics Stereo -- or put on an accessory exhaust system -- or tear out the insulation for that matter....... Me? I can hear the LS3 talking to me -- but, at a steady 70mph on the Ohio turnpike -- a GREAT drive and no 'droning' and now loud tire roar........and that makes me happy -- and I think it will make a lot of people happy........time will tell.

Many of our buyers will have no choice but to drive their Camaros every day. ("Mom" Settlemire being one of them.....) You can bet that anyone who DOES have to drive the Camaro in the snow wants to hear about snow tires. (and if you'll read thru the thread -- my statement is proven..)

As to the Stevie Wonder lyrics -- please go back and read what I said -- something along the lines of "you have to walk in my shoes to understand" -- I get it that some don't understand it -- I ALSO understand that some do!

Sorry that you felt it was over the top! (on the other hand -- mebbe you just need to drive a 2010 Camaro SS!)
Thank you, Scott.

For what it is worth, my deposit for a sold pre-order Camaro SS sight-unseen was based in very large part on the assurances by one of those disciples that the new F-Body was (subjective styling ques aside) definitely a refined and classy modern interpretation much more closely aligned with the 21st century GTO than to mulleted models of the past.

I, for one, am extremely pleased that these concerns were high on your list, too (the collective "Camaro team"'s list as well as yours, personally.)

Oh! And I give a big on the Stevie Wonder selection, too...
gto_in_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:49 PM   #98
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
I know there are Pirelli Scorpions to match the back tire size. What size were used for the fronts?

EDIT: The only thing I could find that were close were 255/45R20.
Pirelli tires are garbage. They don't honor any kind of manufacturer defect or anything. I had 4 Pirelli P-Zero's on my Cobalt SS Supercharged (2006) and even though I brought my car faithfully to my Chevy dealership, not once did they suggest to rotate my tires and I blew two of them out before the 10K mark and a third one blew today. Seriously, I hope I don't get raped on my new 2010 Camaro and actually get good advice about keeping my car and my tires alive as long as they should. Pirelli wouldn't help me and Chevrolet wouldn't hone up to their poor professional advice by not suggesting a rotation when they should have. Really don't know why I stick with GM sometimes. Now I have to replace 2 more tires tomorrow now. Pirelli sucks balls.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote