Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Wanted RJT rocker panels, warning on RS tailights

If anyone has a set of undamaged Red Jewel Tintcoat rocker panels that they would like to part with ( like from installing the ground effects package ) I would be willing to buy them. Long story short either Oshawa ( my opinion ) or the freight/trucking company ( dealership opinion ) damaged the driver side rocker panel on my 2SS/RS RJT Camaro. The dealer/GM solution is a new GM supplied rocker panel with the dealership painting it which I find unacceptable. I didn't buy a brand new repaired car, sorry GM, the check I handed the dealer wasn't damaged or repaired.
The other wonderful part of my 2010 Camaro "experience" is Oshawa installed 3 standard and 1 RS tailight in my 2SS/RS Camaro. GM shipped 3 replacement tailights with the RS part number and clearly marked for an RS car BUT they are standard Camaro tailights, not the darker RS tailights. So glad we outsourced jobs to Mexico where the Camaro tailights are produced. If anyone from GM is listening you have lost a 30 year GM customer. If any Camaro5 member can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks...Ed M.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Sooo, you want a whole new car?
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
jdurhan

Drives: 2017 SS 50th Conv., 2016 Siverado
So I take it that you accepted the car with these defects at delivery ? Both sound like they could be made right pretty easily.JMO
jdurhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
I forgot to mention my selling dealership got a ABM 1SS/RS car in today and guess what, all 4 taillights are the standard taillights, not the darker RS lights that the car should have come with. Nice job, GM.
No, don't want a new car, I want a new, factory painted rocker panel with factory scuff guards on it and it installed properly. I also want 4 RS taillights, not 3 standard and 1 RS taillight. I've already waited 2 weeks and now see this ordeal lasting at least another 2 or more weeks.
But what we all should want is for GM to wake up, the rhetoric is old and tired. Quality is not lip service and speeches or new GM commercials, it is in the product presented to the customer.
Great design and poor execution doesn't cut it.
Ed M.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
But, how would you feel if GM supplied a factory painted rocker and they could never get the paint to perfectly match your car? If you've got a good shop in your area, then give them a shot. If they cannot match it, then have your dealer (and/or you) get back to GM and let them know that the best shop in the area cannot match the RJT color to your satisfaction. I'm sorry your experience was not as smooth as it should have been. I'm not going to say these issues are minor, because my "minor" might be a lot different from your "minor." And, I'm anal-retentive enough that stuff like this gets me all worked up. My wife, on the other hand, is so mellow that I'm not even sure having her car totaled would phase her.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Can you take a picture of the nrmal taillight next to the RS taillight so we can see the difference please?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
qbert48

Drives: 2SS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Can you take a picture of the nrmal taillight next to the RS taillight so we can see the difference please?

welcome home
1100 4-27-09
6000 6-27-09

yes i got to the dance late don't hate me
qbert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Hum if they paint the new part properly it should be fine. But I understand because it's new.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
jdurhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
This would be helpful to all of us that are getting an RS, I have seen pics of both and they look almost the same to my old eyes , would love to see them next to each other so I know what to look for.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
marticus24

Drives: 2012 ZL1
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...24&postcount=7
marticus24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #11
jdurhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marticus24 View Post
Thank you, now I know what to look for, big difference.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #12
kroache

Drives: IBM Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by marticus24 View Post
Yes, thanks for the link...not sure I would have realized a difference. Also thanks to the OP for the warning. Good information.

Kevin
kroache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #13
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
from what I understand it's absolutely impossible to get one part painted from the factory. If they could, they would just take the part and just have somebody spray it in a booth. It wouldn't go through the same process as when they paint the entire body on the line. So, it would be the same thing as your local body shop would do. That sucks though. But you already took delivery. There's not much you can do now. Just get it repaired and move on. Enjoy your new Camaro and don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
The damaged rocker panels and mismatched tail lights are truly significant problems. I do think GM's solution for the rocker panels is the correct one. RJT on one car isn't the same as RJT on another. The tints are never precisely the same. So having it custom matched will result in a much better finished product than GM sending some random pre-painted panels without comparing them to your car, and clearly better than having someone send you theirs, which probably won't match either. This assumes the paint shop you'll use is a quality operation, of course.

My grandmother had to get the painted spare wheel cover on her Rav4 replaced, and the new one (prepainted) isn't anywhere close to her car's color. And remember, this is Toyota, and they "never" screw up.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote