Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
knitetrain05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary Edi
Saving more with the battery Tender

Every little saving adds up. With the Camaro put away for the winter. I put a battery Tender plus on it, And on the Battery tender, I put a timer. My car is charged for 8 hours every night then, the tender is shut off for 16 hours. Battery's don't need to be on a constant charge even if its on a trickle charge. Your battery will thank you, The less use on the charger will thank you, Your electric bill ( Very small amount) Will thank you. This is just a little tip and what I do. I'm sure everybody has their own opinion. That's just me. For what its worth........
knitetrain05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
angryv6
Lake Erie Monster

Drives: 02 Hyundai Santa Fe and 13 300
I do the same thing, no need to have it 24 hours straight.
angryv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
If its the actual Battery Tender brand, you don't need to put a timer on it. It runs through a program of charge/discharge. Granted it will use a little more electricity than if you turn the power off, but its very small. In fact, the whole thing only uses about $4 a month of electricity.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Thanks for the tip...but no need in SoCal!

Here's a pic of our SoCal winters.

Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
I have no data to prove my point but here's my take on using a timer, first I'm talking about the Deltran Battery Tender. The Battery Tender goes into a float mode once the battery is charged, by putting it on a timer for 16 hours and then turning it back on I believe the battery tender will start charging the battery all over again for probably the whole 8 hours.

I probably didn't explain myself very but I hope some of you got the idea. BTW, I've been using the Deltran Battery Tenders on several vehicles for six to seven months at a time with no problems.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitetrain05 View Post
Every little saving adds up. With the Camaro put away for the winter. I put a battery Tender plus on it, And on the Battery tender, I put a timer. My car is charged for 8 hours every night then, the tender is shut off for 16 hours. Battery's don't need to be on a constant charge even if its on a trickle charge. Your battery will thank you, The less use on the charger will thank you, Your electric bill ( Very small amount) Will thank you. This is just a little tip and what I do. I'm sure everybody has their own opinion. That's just me. For what its worth........
You don't have a clue how a battery tender works do you? The whole point of a battery tender is so you don't have to this. Your battery will not thank you for this. It will wonder what your problem is.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Higher power Battery Tenders will actually drain the battery a little when connected and not powered, sort of defeats the purpose.

http://batterytender.com/resources/why-battery-tender/

"Zero to Minimal Current Draw from Batteries: When the AC power is disconnected, most Battery Tender® battery chargers draw zero current from the battery. A few of the higher power models draw less than 1 milliamp from the battery."

http://batterytender.com/resources/f...ked-questions/

How is the Battery Tender® Plus battery charger different from a trickle charger?

"The BatteryTender® Plus (BT Plus) battery charger has microprocessor controlled power electronic circuitry which enables it to preform and safely control a number of sophisticated charging functions, well beyond the capability of inexpensive trickle chargers.

After connecting the BT Plus to a battery and then applying AC power, it first conducts a number of checks during Initialization Mode to ensure that the battery functioning normally. Then it will deliver its full charge at a constant rate of 1.25 amperes. This is called the Bulk Charge Mode. The battery voltage will rise and when it reaches a predetermined level the BT Plus will hold the battery charge voltage constant at that level, allowing the charge current amplitude to drop. This is the Absorption Charge Mode. The Absorption Charge Mode is complete when the battery charge current drops below a very low value, usually below ¼ ampere. Some BT Plus models have timers to limit the duration of the Absorption Charge Mode.

After the current drops or the allotted time expires (typically several hours), the BT Plus automatically switches to a Float / Maintenance Charge Mode. The purpose of the Float / Maintenance Charge Mode is to maintain the battery voltage just slightly (typically between 1/10 and ½ volt) above where it would be if it were fully charged and sitting at rest. This keeps the battery topped off at voltages well below the gassing voltage of a lead acid battery.

So if you are using a higher powered model you're actually slightly draining the battery for 16 hours and when the power comes on it has to re-charge the battery to full again. That will use more power than the BT being powered all the time in Float/Maintenence mode while the battery sits fully charged."
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
Higher power Battery Tenders will actually drain the battery a little when connected and not powered, sort of defeats the purpose.

http://batterytender.com/resources/why-battery-tender/

"Zero to Minimal Current Draw from Batteries: When the AC power is disconnected, most Battery Tender® battery chargers draw zero current from the battery. A few of the higher power models draw less than 1 milliamp from the battery."

http://batterytender.com/resources/f...ked-questions/

How is the Battery Tender® Plus battery charger different from a trickle charger?

"The BatteryTender® Plus (BT Plus) battery charger has microprocessor controlled power electronic circuitry which enables it to preform and safely control a number of sophisticated charging functions, well beyond the capability of inexpensive trickle chargers.

After connecting the BT Plus to a battery and then applying AC power, it first conducts a number of checks during Initialization Mode to ensure that the battery functioning normally. Then it will deliver its full charge at a constant rate of 1.25 amperes. This is called the Bulk Charge Mode. The battery voltage will rise and when it reaches a predetermined level the BT Plus will hold the battery charge voltage constant at that level, allowing the charge current amplitude to drop. This is the Absorption Charge Mode. The Absorption Charge Mode is complete when the battery charge current drops below a very low value, usually below ¼ ampere. Some BT Plus models have timers to limit the duration of the Absorption Charge Mode.

After the current drops or the allotted time expires (typically several hours), the BT Plus automatically switches to a Float / Maintenance Charge Mode. The purpose of the Float / Maintenance Charge Mode is to maintain the battery voltage just slightly (typically between 1/10 and ½ volt) above where it would be if it were fully charged and sitting at rest. This keeps the battery topped off at voltages well below the gassing voltage of a lead acid battery.

So if you are using a higher powered model you're actually slightly draining the battery for 16 hours and when the power comes on it has to re-charge the battery to full again. That will use more power than the BT being powered all the time in Float/Maintenence mode while the battery sits fully charged."
This.

If you have a real battery tender, it makes no sense to turn it off and on.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
So is it really necessary to have the battery connected to a tender or charger while in storage??
Old 11-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
So is it really necessary to have the battery connected to a tender or charger while in storage??
Kinda depends on on how long the cars in storage, the colder the area also plays into whether you should have a battery tender connected to the battery. Also, I would avoid using a battery charger for long periods at times. JMO
Old 11-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
If you're going to be stored 4 mos or less, you don't need it. My garage is not heated, never had an issue.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
I see.. welll I am asking because last deployment I sat the car for 7 months with the battery with no tender at all. all I did was unplug negative cable. when I got back.. reinstall the cable and the car was fine
Old 11-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
A quality battery tender will be high frequency, fully automatic and have a float mode. I have a Battery Sentinel I've used for 8 years.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:24 AM   #14
Est.July.4.1776
The pride of the CN

Drives: '13 AGM 2SS/RS M6 & '70 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Thanks for the tip...but no need in SoCal!

Here's a pic of our SoCal winters.

Lemme post a picture of my emissions test... oh wait...

ETA: Is the BT Plus worth the extra dough?

Class 1 Freight Rail Conductor - Master Mason - NRA Life Member - Tennessee Squire - Firefighter I & II Certified

My other ride has 4,400+hp and corners like it's on rails... because it is.
Est.July.4.1776 is offline   Reply With Quote