Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #15
Cepak
Purchase Date 2/17/2015

Drives: none
What this bill fails to mention:

Cornell's David Pimentel, who chaired a U.S. Department of Energy panel that investigated the energetics, economics and environmental aspects of ethanol production sums it up best:
"About 70 percent more energy is required to produce ethanol than the energy that actually is in ethanol. Every time you make 1 gallon of ethanol, there is a net energy loss of 54,000 Btu."
Old 03-18-2015, 09:02 PM   #16
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Ethanol subsidies are just welfare for the farmers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cepak View Post
What this bill fails to mention:

Cornell's David Pimentel, who chaired a U.S. Department of Energy panel that investigated the energetics, economics and environmental aspects of ethanol production sums it up best:
"About 70 percent more energy is required to produce ethanol than the energy that actually is in ethanol. Every time you make 1 gallon of ethanol, there is a net energy loss of 54,000 Btu."
Agree with you both!
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #17
millatime84

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM/IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Ethanol subsidies are just welfare for the farmers.
What subsidies do you speak of?
millatime84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:23 AM   #18
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Every guy with a lawn mower or weed whacker that needs a carb rebuilt every year should be behind this. Boats are even worse, alcohol absorbs water and creates havoc in motors that are not run on a daily basis. Ethanol is probably one of the worst mandates to come down the pike since banning Freon.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:34 AM   #19
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
Every guy with a lawn mower or weed whacker that needs a carb rebuilt every year should be behind this. Boats are even worse, alcohol absorbs water and creates havoc in motors that are not run on a daily basis. Ethanol is probably one of the worst mandates to come down the pike since banning Freon.
Agreed - and they have been adding Ethanol to gasoline since long before the Freon ban. And props to Texas for attempting this legislation. I wish them luck!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:59 AM   #20
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Hey up here in The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts its illegal to sell none ethanol fuel at a pump. Only way to get it is buying it as race fuel in Qt's and 1-5-55 gallon drums or buckets.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:03 AM   #21
BrutalSS

Drives: 2010 Hennessey Camaro
I don't believe it is illegal yet in NY (Ssh... Don't give them ideas). But I am pondering keeping a 55 gallon drum of VP Red or Cam 2, something of that sort... But the fire hazard... I'm unsure.
BrutalSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:57 AM   #22
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Not sure it will ever pass. Modern fuel delivery equipment is supposed to be fine with ethanol, and they're talking about cars older than 2001. That's 14 years ago. As far as I know, you can still buy ethanol-free fuel at some retailers.

The only reason I'd be in favor of it is to get rid of the corn subsidies. Couldn't care less about the effect on modern vehicles, since most of them are equipped to handle it anyway (and many equipped for E85).
Do you own anything with a small engine? Lawn mower?? I hate ethanol in the gas! I had to sell my dirt bike because If I didn't ride it enough I'd have to take apart the carburetor every 10 days! Literally! We have two antique Harleys. Their carburetors are better than the dirt bike's was but they still have to be taken apart about every month or so. I'm about to work on my weed eater because of this ethanol crap! I hate it.

My dad showed me this stuff I now buy for my lawn equipment, it's called TruFuel. It's 92 octane and ethanol free. But it's $6 for half a gallon. Worth it in my book.

I hope this passes!!!
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #23
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
I just use Sta-bil in my small engines I don't use frequently, but I am glad they don't sell E-85 here or I would be modding my car to use it for the additional hp you can pull.

Not a fan of the mandate or subsidies, but not much worse than lots of stuff the government does.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:07 AM   #24
Mels RS

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Time View Post
My dad showed me this stuff I now buy for my lawn equipment, it's called TruFuel. It's 92 octane and ethanol free. But it's $6 for half a gallon. Worth it in my book.
I hope this passes!!!
Where are you getting TruFuel for that price? I'm paying $4.50/qt.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
Mels RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:14 AM   #25
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
The bill certainly brings up great points about the problem with ethanol. I would agree as it is, I would rather it not be in the gas I buy.

I really don't think this going to get much traction, as most of the voters are more likely than not in the cities, and the people that ethanol really effects are the rural farmers and ranchers that have older equipment being ruined by ethanol.

What I hope the actual result is that it prompts R&D to A) solve this issue with ethanol, and, more importantly, B) Spur further research into creating alternative, synthetic type fuels for internal combustion engines.

I do believe that we need to find ways to stretch the oil supply. But I don't think all the money being spent on electric cars is really the way to go. The internal combustion engine has been in just about every car made in the last 100 years for one simple reason, it is still the absolute most efficient form of power delivery for an automotive application.

I am, obviously, not a scientist. However, it is my hope that one day, in the not so distant future that someone may create a fully synthetic gasoline that could run any internal combustion engine as well, if not better than gasoline. I would just hate to never be able to hear the rumble of a cammed big block V8 ever again.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #26
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Time View Post
Do you own anything with a small engine? Lawn mower?? I hate ethanol in the gas! I had to sell my dirt bike because If I didn't ride it enough I'd have to take apart the carburetor every 10 days! Literally! We have two antique Harleys. Their carburetors are better than the dirt bike's was but they still have to be taken apart about every month or so. I'm about to work on my weed eater because of this ethanol crap! I hate it.

I hope this passes!!!
Yeah, all kinds of small engines over the years. Our fuel has been E90 (10% ethanol blend) for decades and I just haven't seen the kind of fuel issues that some people describe.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really a fan of ethanol for the political / efficiency reasons already stated -- but the flip side is I think there's a lot of hype mixed in about ethanol and older engines (perhaps a lot of the issue is, they're just old, or improper fuel storage, or lack of use/maintenance, and small yard engines in general--they suck in a lot of dirt). It's given people a reason to profiteer non-ethanol fuel at $12/gallon.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:47 PM   #27
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mels RS View Post
Where are you getting TruFuel for that price? I'm paying $4.50/qt.
I'm just getting it from AutoZone. That is including tax too. I haven't been looking around for it very long, so I haven't been able to do much price comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Yeah, all kinds of small engines over the years. Our fuel has been E90 (10% ethanol blend) for decades and I just haven't seen the kind of fuel issues that some people describe.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really a fan of ethanol for the political / efficiency reasons already stated -- but the flip side is I think there's a lot of hype mixed in about ethanol and older engines (perhaps a lot of the issue is, they're just old, or improper fuel storage, or lack of use/maintenance, and small yard engines in general--they suck in a lot of dirt). It's given people a reason to profiteer non-ethanol fuel at $12/gallon.
I'm sure there is hype involved with some people (as there is in literally every facet of our lives.) but everything I wrote is from my personal experience, and it is not exaggerated.

I take very good care of my belongings, the only one you could say "improper storage" came into play would be my lawn equipment. It all stays in my shed. Even with the ethanol, if I clean my mower each year about March (when I start mowing again) it fires right up and I have no issues with it at all. This year is the first year I've had an issue with the weed eater. Dirt bike was babied and the Harleys are show bikes. They sit in a dehumidified, air conditioned room in my parents garage. I don't have any storage issues... LOL.

I don't know a single person who has issues with their modern fuel injected cars because of ethanol. Well aside from diminished fuel economy.
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #28
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I hope that passes. Even though I don't live there. That crap has cost me thousands and ruined multiple engines. Even when using additives. Older engines were not designed for it. I'm ok with them offering ethanol but I would like the choice to buy gas without it even if it costs more.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote