Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-19-2015, 10:32 PM   #1
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
It scares me people are picking camshafts based on sound not performance

I keep reading on various boards and listening to people in person at car events and they are basing there camshaft decisions based on sound. This is nuts, yes it sounds like a 1980's battle of the bands at idle, but your stock clutch or converter, tall gears, and scarier people who use stock valve springs . Give me a long LSA to make the 376 act more like 396, high tension beehives to zap that valve back asap so the piston doesn't hit the valve if I miss a gear, and a sleeper stealth idle that sounds stock, but will leave jaws hanging. Rather then a a choppy idle, with a powerband range like a Honda (4500-6000), and a broken set of valve springs with some piston damage.
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
To each his own, there are numerous exhaust systems that all give the same performance with sound from grumble to roar. Now, putting in a cam without the proper supporting hardware is ridiculous. My car has a completely fake choppy idle generated by my choice of ignition key, it's pure hokum, but I like it.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:03 PM   #3
DsCamaro1

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS RS L99
My knowledge of this subject is limited. My understanding is a Cam shaft is to allow the drive shaft to turn more freely and hence give more power to the motor. How would you choose the best Cam for my car? And whats the difference between sizes of cams?
DsCamaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:09 PM   #4
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
There is a demographic out there that is all show and no go. To me having a car you can stick a key into and fake that cam sound is just being a poser. Cams are meant for performance, not social testosterone.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:40 PM   #5
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Not every person is a gear head and the sound is usually what draws people into the insanity. They will learn a lot about the true value of a cam, once they have one.
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:04 AM   #6
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DsCamaro1 View Post
My knowledge of this subject is limited. My understanding is a Cam shaft is to allow the drive shaft to turn more freely and hence give more power to the motor. How would you choose the best Cam for my car? And whats the difference between sizes of cams?
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #7
Dave@Sturgiscamarorally

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS
Not everyone is a gear head and some just want the sound. Me personally I want the best of both. Sound great and work well with my combination. And future combination.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #8
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
Quote:

Post of the year, thank you for the laugh
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Funny cam story, a friend of mine took the advice of a guy that proclaimed himself an expert in engine building and installed a high lift cam in his small block chevy... The outcome was not pretty, bent pushrods and valves were the result...
Some people, believe it or not, don't know what the hell they are talking about. With the Internet it makes it even worse, many people want you to believe they are experts on here but really don't know any more than that guy did.

Just beware who you take advice from...
Old 03-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #10
RockerBox

Drives: 2010 Silverado. Stock height now
I chose for both. There's no harm in choosing a nice clean sounding cam. Some sound like garbage.
RockerBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #11
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
To each his own, there are numerous exhaust systems that all give the same performance with sound from grumble to roar. Now, putting in a cam without the proper supporting hardware is ridiculous. My car has a completely fake choppy idle generated by my choice of ignition key, it's pure hokum, but I like it.
so the second key is a sound effect?
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #12
just
Banned

Drives: Blown and inter cooled
Quote:
I bet you heard that from a "reputable" tuner or member on here lmao
just is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #13
LOBBS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
So glad that I'm not the only one that doesn't understand why people buy the cams they do. The other thing that I've been wondering about since I got back into the hobby is when did all these projects get ridiculous quasi-badass nicknames?
LOBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #14
whan

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Quote:
whan is offline   Reply With Quote