Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #85
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Damn how many stickers did you add to get that hp?

I agree with most in here though, Dyno is just a number. What it does in real driving is the question
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:22 PM   #86
dmw56

Drives: 2014 2SS Red Hot 6M
I just did mine Friday on a Dynojet. 2014 LS3 Kooks long tube,HF cats, 3" pipes, CAI intake, and BBK throttle body with tune. Best run 415hp 412 ft/lbs torque.

dmw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:36 AM   #87
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian559 View Post
I started this post to talk about dyno numbers. I haven't tracked it because the closest track is 2 hours away and costs $100 to maybe get 2 passes in. Id rather run out at the street where it's free and can get as many passes as I want. I may not know my exact time but I know what cars I can and can't beat and that's what matters to me.
1LEs do dyno high. I am convinced of it. My car dyno'd 416/398 at FSP's mustang dyno with only an intake.

I also have taken my car to a track, 2 hours away (1/4) and drove 4 hours for wannagofast Ocala (1/2).
Old 03-29-2015, 03:29 AM   #88
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
It's hard to have a fair race on the street, or your "private runway" someone always gets a jump. You need to go to the track and get some time slips. Then you'll know if you have a factory freak or just a dyno freak. I wouldn't put so much faith in a dyno anyway.

I haven't had my car on a dyno yet since the upgrade but running it at the track tells me where I'm at power wise, I'm running a consistent 12.40@114. I want to dyno it just for fun but it won't really matter what the results are unless we do a baseline then dyno tune it or something. Those dyno days are pretty much so guys can brag to their friends about how much horsepower they have.

I disagree. Dynos are to benchmark your before and after mod gains. How else do you know if your money is well spent or what HP gain per $ is best.

-CRT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:32 AM   #89
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
To me, the only reason to put the car on a dyno is to add a custom tune. It is the only way to make sure you are getting the best tune possible. The actual HP/TQ numbers are worthless. Different dynos and different operators will all come up with different numbers, so what's the point? A smart dyno operator will always try to make your car look good. He wants you to be a happy customer. You want to know how fast it is? You want bragging rights? then put it up against a clock, on a strip. Those numbers don't lie.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:21 AM   #90
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
To me, the only reason to put the car on a dyno is to add a custom tune. It is the only way to make sure you are getting the best tune possible. The actual HP/TQ numbers are worthless. Different dynos and different operators will all come up with different numbers, so what's the point? A smart dyno operator will always try to make your car look good. He wants you to be a happy customer. You want to know how fast it is? You want bragging rights? then put it up against a clock, on a strip. Those numbers don't lie.
But then it comes down to the driver and weather conditions........ So they kinda do lie. 1st time at a track I ran a 14.0 my 1st run.......... Every test I see for a 1LE is 12.7-13.1 1/4....... Not 14.0. Tracks have lots of variables. Let me try to launch the hell out of my car........ Clutch goes to the floor..... Or the GoodYears spin..... Or maybe I do everythng 100% right driving and I cut a good 60ft..... Oh my car pulled timing because its 98 degrees in Florida like usual and I only ran a 13.4.

Put the car on a track with a 5000+ DA. All the responses........ Oh man that's slow...... Or on a track with a negative DA..... Man that thing moves! Same with dynos...... Happy dyno...... Big numbers. Not a happy dyno.......not big numbers. Simple as that.

All these oh line them up number blah blah go on a track..... Dyno is the same thing as a track. You see if the mods and money you put into the car is worth it. All dynos and tracks are are measuring tools. How fast can my car really go or how much power can my car really make...... Its all curosity. Really think about that. Why does anybody go to a dyno other than a tune?....... To measure if the mods are worth it. Why do people go to a track other than to just race?....... To see if the mods are worth it.

So maybe OPs dyno was happy....... Maybe it wasn't...... If you put the car on the track all its going to do is spin the tires or maybe OP will throw DRs on. Then what's the DA going to be? Maybe OP can't drive . So never will we get a 100% accurate answer. Even after a DA calculator it won't be accurate. Dynos get their correction factor in there too so that won't be accurate either. All were going to have at this point is a 442hp carmaro SHOULD run this or SHOULD run that..... But then again we have that DA and driver factor. Its like the how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop.

Last edited by CamaroDreams76; 03-29-2015 at 07:37 AM.
CamaroDreams76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:59 AM   #91
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Dynos are for testing engine mods, tracks are for testing driver mods.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #92
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
I would include simple curiosity as a valid reason to have a dyno run made.

When you suck at the straight line racing skills as badly as I do, you'd never use dragstrip results to brag about anything except how badly you suck at drag racing.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:36 AM   #93
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I would include simple curiosity as a valid reason to have a dyno run made.

When you suck at the straight line racing skills as badly as I do, you'd never use dragstrip results to brag about anything except how badly you suck at drag racing.

Norm
I agree, but then, I don't see either of us bragging about much of anything....
Old 03-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #94
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Actually that all becomes a constant that can be calculated in an instant.
How do you figure? Not a single one of those variables is constant from car to car, heck even something as simple as tire pressure change due to heat could change tire diameter, effectively changing final drive ratios in back to back runs.

But I didn't come to argue mathematics and in fact yes I could sit down and calculate final drive ratio if all variables are known in about 5-10 minutes, but if you've ever been to a dyno day, you know a car is only on the rollers for about 10min.

I was simply pointing out that the dyno calculates final drive ratio based on roller speed and engine rpm. And that it has also proven fact that lower gears actually produce lower rwhp numbers due to increased drivetrain loss.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #95
xXSicSicSicXx

Drives: 14 1LE
Factory freaks don't exiiiist
xXSicSicSicXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #96
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
I guess I had it wrong.

It's not a very complicated program to create the constant for each car. I would have thought a dyno would have that ability.

I assumed the dyno operator would enter the parameters or select from a menu the model car that was being tested. With the ability to modify.

It seems to me that when several 1LE posters have dyno numbers ~13% higher than they should be and several other 1LE posters have more realistic numbers that something is mucked up.

I find it interesting that one poster wrote that his 1LE beat the snot out of another 1LE who had numbers ~13% higher than they should have been (~50HP) and higher than his (~30HP).

AFAIK the dyno reads engine speed and torque on the rollers. I didn't realize they also computed MPH. That is a good idea though. Maybe some do and some don't.
You are correct, if we are seeing two distinct hp ranges for nearly identical cars, something very simple could be a variable whether its the operators, a cold dyno or heck maybe even something as simple as putting a fan in front of the car.

I think I understand what you were saying and I apologize if my response came across harsh. The dyno just takes that step out of the equation for us to help eliminate operator error. I think with most modern dynos operator error is actually uncommon, but there can always be ways to trick the dyno such as lighter wheels, and depending on the car even removing accessory belts so your not driving a/c, power steering etc.

Although I believe in cars coming out of the factory better than others, I think the only real way to tell how different one car is from another is to put them on the same rollers with the same operators back to back.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:44 AM   #97
cgzhg

Drives: ford
Damn those are some pretty good numbers!
cgzhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #98
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
But then it comes down to the driver and weather conditions........ So they kinda do lie. 1st time at a track I ran a 14.0 my 1st run.......... Every test I see for a 1LE is 12.7-13.1 1/4....... Not 14.0. Tracks have lots of variables. Let me try to launch the hell out of my car........ Clutch goes to the floor..... Or the GoodYears spin..... Or maybe I do everythng 100% right driving and I cut a good 60ft..... Oh my car pulled timing because its 98 degrees in Florida like usual and I only ran a 13.4.

Put the car on a track with a 5000+ DA. All the responses........ Oh man that's slow...... Or on a track with a negative DA..... Man that thing moves! Same with dynos...... Happy dyno...... Big numbers. Not a happy dyno.......not big numbers. Simple as that.

All these oh line them up number blah blah go on a track..... Dyno is the same thing as a track. You see if the mods and money you put into the car is worth it. All dynos and tracks are are measuring tools. How fast can my car really go or how much power can my car really make...... Its all curosity. Really think about that. Why does anybody go to a dyno other than a tune?....... To measure if the mods are worth it. Why do people go to a track other than to just race?....... To see if the mods are worth it.

So maybe OPs dyno was happy....... Maybe it wasn't...... If you put the car on the track all its going to do is spin the tires or maybe OP will throw DRs on. Then what's the DA going to be? Maybe OP can't drive . So never will we get a 100% accurate answer. Even after a DA calculator it won't be accurate. Dynos get their correction factor in there too so that won't be accurate either. All were going to have at this point is a 442hp carmaro SHOULD run this or SHOULD run that..... But then again we have that DA and driver factor. Its like the how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop.
You are right. There is no exact science to get the power of a car, but on a drag strip, whether you suck at driving, or make mistakes, it will show up on the time slip. The 60' will be bad if you spin at the line or have a bad launch. The DA can be corrected to 0 feet. The trap speed, though, is the magic number for how much power you have, not necessarily the 1/4 mile time.

My first 5th gen, I had an LS, with just about every bolt on that was available for the car. Long tubes, CAI, corsa catback, ported throttle body, black isolator, tune, etc. I put the car on a dyno and was making the same power as a stock v6 Camaro. Went to the track and I was the fastest v6 Camaro.

edit: and that's just an example of what COULD happen. I'm well aware that you could also get on a dyno and be spot on, to your actual horsepower number.

Last edited by PoorMansCamaro; 03-30-2015 at 11:27 AM.
PoorMansCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote