Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutSS View Post
I'm considering an SC as well and what I'm finding is that the SS suspension is not even close to being able to handle that kind of power. I've got bolt-ons and a cam and with around 460rwhp my car is like a wet noodle under full throttle. You add another 250hp and things will get interesting. So, when you mention, "what else do I need" you need to get serious about suspension upgrades, mainly to the rear cradle. Another 2k to 3k to do it right.

I'm hoping to hear from some of the others who have experience here to chime in..
Great info! I know the 2013 suspension is a bit different but ill look into that.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 04-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
So I have no clue about this AT ALL!

I don't want to go off the top crazy, just add a SC. Besides the SC what else would be needed? Also is there their scheduled maintenance on a SC? And what is the preferred brand?
How do you use the car, is it a cruiser or something that you race? The big consensus here is to go centri s/c for cars that see the strip a lot, and roots type for street cars.

I'm a big fan of roots type (that's your KB, maggie, whipple) for either situation though. I have a TVS 2300 (magnacharger) on my own car - with a cam, heads and headers it makes 700rwhp and is still just as driveable as when it was stock (ok, so you have to be careful when you're getting on it because it will get away from you...lol).

If you purchase the magnacharger kit you don't NEED anything else...but, a few little mods go along way to make more power. It just depends on what your goals are. I like an intake at the very least to go along with the blower. If the car is stock otherwise you will be fine with the 52# injectors they supply and the stock fuel pump.

The maggies come with handhelds with a base file from magnacharger, I would flash that just to get yourself going, and then have it professionally dyno tuned. Not only is it a good idea to dyno it to make sure your AFR is straightened out and it's not knocking, but, we almost always can pick up a solid 40+hp over what the handheld comes with. Much better driveability as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions. We install a ton of these here! Only maintenance on the maggie is to change the blower oil at 100k.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
Camper
Banned

Drives: 10' 2SS LS3 M6
Quote:
I was looking at that, but should I be concerned about the used parts?

Sent from my 2SS/RS
i wouldnt be concerned with anything from Matt. He'll take good care of you.
Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #18
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP

Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
Quote:
I was looking at that, but should I be concerned about the used parts?

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Only thing used is the headunit/injectors and I wouldn't worry about that at all. Especially coming from Matt.
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #19
Camper
Banned

Drives: 10' 2SS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutSS View Post
I'm considering an SC as well and what I'm finding is that the SS suspension is not even close to being able to handle that kind of power. I've got bolt-ons and a cam and with around 460rwhp my car is like a wet noodle under full throttle. You add another 250hp and things will get interesting. So, when you mention, "what else do I need" you need to get serious about suspension upgrades, mainly to the rear cradle. Another 2k to 3k to do it right.

I'm hoping to hear from some of the others who have experience here to chime in..
try investing in tires lol :P
Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
What other mods do you have currently?
CAI, catback & ported TB, that's it.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 04-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #21
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
Quote:
CAI, catback & ported TB, that's it.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Perfect for a TVS2300 install!

Grab a buddy and some beer. Most incredible feeling is poppin' the hood and saying 'I DID THAT!'
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #22
2012InfernoSS

Drives: 93GMC sierra stepside/ ctsv3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessika@SCC View Post
Perfect for a TVS2300 install!

Grab a buddy and some beer. Most incredible feeling is poppin' the hood and saying 'I DID THAT!'
Got to agree with that, I put on a ecs kit but.. like that feeling when someone askes who did the work and I tell them I did.. Also when I had the car towed to lethal performance for dyno tune and I come back to hear how good I did on the install
2012InfernoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #23
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012InfernoSS View Post
Got to agree with that, I put on a ecs kit but.. like that feeling when someone askes who did the work and I tell them I did.. Also when I had the car towed to lethal performance for dyno tune and I come back to hear how good I did on the install
Good work right there! I know that sense of pride as well, and there is no better feeling of accomplishment!
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #24
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I also agree with the others on the Maggie. Its what I went with as well.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #25
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
I'm headed for an ECS kit myself that is what my cam and heads and intake were already prepped for.

I'm wondering though.
How are so many people putting down such huge HP numbers on stock bottom ends?
I want to be at 700 or so with restrictor plate and meth.
I am told this is very very easy with my current setup.
but I am worried about the rods and pistons and even the valves at that HP range. I know the crank should be fine.

Mine is a 2013 not sure if any improvements have been made internally this year.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #26
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
I remember hearing your car last year at the rally, it sounded great. What is the purpose of a cam and are there any down sides?

Preferably I'd like to do everything at once.
My mpg took a small hit but I drive like a bat out of hell.. right around 14mpg. I imagine you would have the same syndrome with a SC or cam. You will probably want a higher stall... I loved getting the torque converter, but they run around 700-1k. Again... all this was included in my 4.5k.

Cam is a power adder, just as a SC is... but obviously 3-4k cheaper. I am at 440 to the wheels for a medium size cam. A SC may put you in the low 500s to the wheels. I imagine we were somewhere in the 340-370 range before either of those mods. A bit more if you have headers...

I would do headers before all of it unless of course you like a quiet ride... the cam and headers arent as loud as you would think unless you go WOT. I will try to meet up with you at one of the upcoming meets and let you see... its loud as hell at WOT, but quiet enough the wife can make phone calls with the windows up and not be bothered.

The cam was just a stepping stone for me before doing cosmetic upgrades and SC.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #27
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Yeah not to sure about adding a Supercharger without considering other upgrades to go along. WIth the much HP I have been told to think about brakes, tires, suspension and other mods to go along. You talking about a lot of power added to almost stock setup. No doubt it can be done, but what about long term.

I have an L99 and just had Headers, exhaust and new CAI along with tune. They also changed out the gearing. It handles a lot different, but wanted to go this route prior to adding a SC. Might save you some cash
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #28
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroI View Post
Yeah not to sure about adding a Supercharger without considering other upgrades to go along. WIth the much HP I have been told to think about brakes, tires, suspension and other mods to go along. You talking about a lot of power added to almost stock setup. No doubt it can be done, but what about long term.

I have an L99 and just had Headers, exhaust and new CAI along with tune. They also changed out the gearing. It handles a lot different, but wanted to go this route prior to adding a SC. Might save you some cash
What do you mean by gear change?

Sent from my 2SS/RS