Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
jmontalvo

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2LS
Question on Magnaflow Resonated X pipe

What does it do? I think I read somewhere that it reduces rasp? I'm thinking about getting some Flowmasters (either 40 series delta flow or some super 44s). How would the x pipe affect the mufflers? Thanks.
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
jmontalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
it would make them quieter and have less rasp (if any)

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
I would wait until you get some headers before you get the x-pipe.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
It gives you an x pipe performance while adding an additional muffler around which cuts down the high/rasp.

Like kjk said I would wait to see if you need it
Old 05-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
jmontalvo

Most muffler shops would know how to install them, right?
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
Old 05-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
lscamaro

Yep, if anything I believe rt600catman has pictures of where he placed his. If you just get pictures, they could probably do it no problem

Old 05-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
jmontalvo

Oh and what is the pipe diameter of our car? There are a lot of different Flowmaster sizes and I have no idea which to get.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #8
lscamaro

I believe its 2.5 up to the h pipe and then 2.25 from there.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:40 AM   #9
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Yep, if anything I believe rt600catman has pictures of where he placed his. If you just get pictures, they could probably do it no problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
I believe its 2.5 up to the h pipe and then 2.25 from there.

Correct, on the dimensions and here are some of the photos you speak of:
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
jmontalvo

I went to a muffler shop today and had some questions about what the guy at the counter told me.

1. He said he put 4" tips on a similar Camaro and nothing happened to the rear diffuser. I've heard of the diffuser melting when the tips are too large. What is the largest I can go on the tips without messing up the diffuser?

2. He also said that I should go with the 18" Magnaflow x pipe (part 12468) and not the 14" (part number 11386). Would the 18" even fit? It's 5"x8" while the 14" is 4"x9".

3. Is there a place where they sell dummy mufflers? The guy wanted to delete the mufflers and I need mufflers to pass the inspection.

4. He also recommended that I just use Magnaflow instead of Flowmaster because it's a V6. Any comments on that?

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
lscamaro

1. 4" is a good size. I think the solo's come with 4.5" and they cut it close to melting the diffuser.

2. I respect my muffler guy but when it comes to his recommendations on certain things, I would take them with a grain of salt. To answer your question, I don't think it would fit without cutting the rear resonators off. I think the x-pipe everyone is using is what you should use. You've already seen it fits and know it can be done.

3. You could just get some little glasspacks if needed. The local muffler guy here recommends the resonated x-pipe with muffler delete. I've heard it on a guy here and it sounds pretty good.

4. On this one, this would be one of those take it with a grain of salt comments. I would personally do what you think is best. If you like the flowmasters, keep them. The magnoflow by itself could drastically change the sound and you could end up not liking it. I take it you don't have an exhaust yet so what I would do is either get the flowmasters first and then see if you need the x-pipe. Or what I would do is get the x-pipe first and then see if you still want the flowmasters at the end. It's really up to you. I personally went with some borla's first before I got the x-pipe and I ended up liking it and not needing the x-pipe. Just remember that the x-pipe will make things a lot quieter.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontalvo View Post
I went to a muffler shop today and had some questions about what the guy at the counter told me.

1. He said he put 4" tips on a similar Camaro and nothing happened to the rear diffuser. I've heard of the diffuser melting when the tips are too large. What is the largest I can go on the tips without messing up the diffuser?

2. He also said that I should go with the 18" Magnaflow x pipe (part 12468) and not the 14" (part number 11386). Would the 18" even fit? It's 5"x8" while the 14" is 4"x9".

3. Is there a place where they sell dummy mufflers? The guy wanted to delete the mufflers and I need mufflers to pass the inspection.

4. He also recommended that I just use Magnaflow instead of Flowmaster because it's a V6. Any comments on that?

Thanks.
1) 4" tips fit just fine. Anything over that starts to become pretty tight although some guys are running 4.5" in the stock diffuser. Just be sure to run the tips out past the ends of the diffuser an inch or two and center them as best as you can.

2) If you do buy the resonated X, go with 11386...its what we all use and it works.

3) You shouldn't need mufflers to pass inspection...only the cats as far as I know. Some guys are running a magnaflow resonated X, and leaving the stock resonators in place, and deleting the rear mufflers. its a good option.

4) No reason you can't run the flowmasters....they will be more raspy though than the magnaflows but if you run a resonated X with the flowmasters you won't have much if any rasp.

Hate it when you go in to discuss your thoughts with a muffler guy and they steer you towards other things. Sure, they may just be trying to help, but most of us here know what works for this car and what we want. They are just going off of general knowledge and that doesn't always apply to this car.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
philthy

Drives: 1971 Monte Carlo/2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontalvo View Post

Thanks.

I have the Magnaflow axleback kit and resonated x-pipe (think it is 11386, 12468 does not sound familiar) on my V-6 and I love the sound. I get a lot of compliments on the sound. The larger diameter tips have not affected the diffuser at all.
1971 Monte Carlo
philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
2010camarolt

Drives: Victory Red 1LT
Quote:
He said he put 4" tips on a similar Camaro and nothing happened to the rear diffuser. I've heard of the diffuser melting when the tips are too large. What is the largest I can go on the tips without messing up the diffuser?
4in is the max i would go in the v6 diffuser. Make sure your exhaust is welded so i dosent move. You could get the ss diffuser it has bigger opening for the exhaust tips