Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
mycamaro2011

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Victory Red
Why dont you try disconnectting the battery for abit and see if that helps.

Those 4 round plenum cover spacers you put back in and rtv to the top of the im?

Bmorecam, used blue rtv gasket maker on mine and attached the 25mm spacer directly to the ported IM and it was solidly attached to it.

I used the oem gasket ontop of the head and cut those 2 round cones off.

Then uptop when it came time for the plenum spacers i used a small amount of rtv blue on the round spacers and attached it to the 4 im holes. once it setup i put the 4 new longer bolts thru the top of im and put the X metal gasket thing under the plenum cover to hold the bolts in.

Just grab a spray bottle and put some soap in it and go around all th ehoses and spray with car running to see if you have any leaks. it shud bubble up
mycamaro2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #16
MACE_ENG

Drives: LLT Machine
I had cat warm up misfire issue, but that is not why I sold my car LOL. The crazy thing is that, after I put everything back to stock, the cat warm up misfire went away completely. Another note I want to make is about these gasket makers. I actually had to help a few guys with their leak because most guys didn't follow direction. If you are not using the 5 minute right stuff gasket maker and even if you were, it is very very important that you follow 'instruction" if the direction call for overnight cure than that's what it exactly mean. You can't expect to get away easy with gasket makers or you will leak. Even gasket makers that was installed correctly will leak one day, same goes for OEM gaskets. What I like to do is recommend for guys to just use OEM gaskets and get rid of the gasket maker altogether unless you are 100% that you got it correct and you know is not going to cause any leak. OEM gasket are very forgiving, gasket makers are not.

----------------------------------------------
Jay@MACE ENGINEERING USA
Instant Contact: VELOCITYPORT410@GMAIL.COM

Home of 31hp/33tq ported intake /25mm insulator
MACE_ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #17
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Wish you were closer to Hapi, Jay, or myself....I'm sure we all would be willing to look at it and get it right. I'm sure it is something simple.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #18
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Wish you were closer to Hapi, Jay, or myself....I'm sure we all would be willing to look at it and get it right. I'm sure it is something simple.

I'm suspecting perhaps those spacers have too small an opening to let those little black plastic liners in the plenum lid to seat. perhaps this is part of my leak? Will use the brake cleaner spray next start-up- Thanks Cyber.

it sounds like you didn't use the RTV on the 4 inner spacers...is that correct? the black plastic pieces are nothing more than little washers/spacers to hold the bolts in place and keep them from rubbing on the plenum cover. by no means are they creating a seal. if you haven't, go back and RTV the spacers to the IM, place the X-wing gasket on top and reassemble...should be good to go. more than likely its something simple, having a second set of eyes/hands can be a huge asset some times. you'll get it figured out and be a pro at removal of your IM

Old 07-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #19
cam fan

Drives: fast
Is it necessary to keep the plenum cover on?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #20
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
make sure you've attached all the hoses back on as well. i forgot the brake booster hose on the rear drivers side once and was like "WTF?! ...oh, im an idiot". just something to think about.
Yep I did this too when I installed my black Ice. My car was running so poorly and then I got out and looked at what an idiot I was.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:01 AM   #21
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACE_ENG View Post
I had cat warm up misfire issue, but that is not why I sold my car LOL. The crazy thing is that, after I put everything back to stock, the cat warm up misfire went away completely. Another note I want to make is about these gasket makers. I actually had to help a few guys with their leak because most guys didn't follow direction. If you are not using the 5 minute right stuff gasket maker and even if you were, it is very very important that you follow 'instruction" if the direction call for overnight cure than that's what it exactly mean. You can't expect to get away easy with gasket makers or you will leak. Even gasket makers that was installed correctly will leak one day, same goes for OEM gaskets. What I like to do is recommend for guys to just use OEM gaskets and get rid of the gasket maker altogether unless you are 100% that you got it correct and you know is not going to cause any leak. OEM gasket are very forgiving, gasket makers are not.

----------------------------------------------
Jay@MACE ENGINEERING USA
Instant Contact: VELOCITYPORT410@GMAIL.COM

Home of 31hp/33tq ported intake /25mm insulator
Jay, I'm curious that if you add a oem gasket on top of the spacer wouldn't that cause turbulence because the spacer is matched to to the manifold and not the gasket? I might just get the the gasket when I get the ported IM, no problems with the rtv, just don't want to have to deal with the messy stuff anymore
Old 07-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #22
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:

I'm suspecting perhaps those spacers have too small an opening to let those little black plastic liners in the plenum lid to seat. perhaps this is part of my leak? Will use the brake cleaner spray next start-up- Thanks Cyber.

it sounds like you didn't use the RTV on the 4 inner spacers...is that correct? the black plastic pieces are nothing more than little washers/spacers to hold the bolts in place and keep them from rubbing on the plenum cover. by no means are they creating a seal. if you haven't, go back and RTV the spacers to the IM, place the X-wing gasket on top and reassemble...should be good to go. more than likely its something simple, having a second set of eyes/hands can be a huge asset some times. you'll get it figured out and be a pro at removal of your IM

Yep, I put g.m. on the spacers. Also g.m. on just about every surface after the first failure, and allowed it to cure 24hrs before torquing to spec.
:(

I've had to work (don't you hate it when your job interferes with important things- like modding your car!) last 3 days 12hr shifts. Will finally have time to have a fresh look at this tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys! When I figure it out, I'll let you know .
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #23
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

whenever i used the gasket maker, i put a generous thin bead on (1/8"), smoothed it out (finger lightly coated in liquid soap...dawn dish soap), and then placed my spacer(s) on while it was still wet/tacky. utilizing the OEM gasket on top of the spacer and reassembled everything...then let it cure. if its cures before reassembly, you can end up with lumps and bumps in the gasket maker that don't allow for a proper seal.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #24
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
Quote:
whenever i used the gasket maker, i put a generous thin bead on (1/8"), smoothed it out (finger lightly coated in liquid soap...dawn dish soap), ...
I use spit...
Old 07-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #25
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgustavson View Post
I use spit...
THATS WHAT SHE SAID!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #26
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
Quote:
THATS WHAT SHE SAID!
IBTL...
Old 07-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #27
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Quote:
whenever i used the gasket maker, i put a generous thin bead on (1/8"), smoothed it out (finger lightly coated in liquid soap...dawn dish soap), and then placed my spacer(s) on while it was still wet/tacky. utilizing the OEM gasket on top of the spacer and reassembled everything...then let it cure. if its cures before reassembly, you can end up with lumps and bumps in the gasket maker that don't allow for a proper seal.
For how long this blue RTV gasket maker will hold ?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #28
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
My saga continues...

Pulled the #5 & #20 fuses for a couple hrs (had disconnected the battery before first start up), cleared codes, cleaned MAF. Restart- same shit.

Sprayed liberally with brake cleaner and MAF cleaner- no indication of a leak! Continues to barely idle, no speed-up or other change.

All connections/bolts checked for umpteenth time. Re-flashed my Trifecta tune just in case. Restart- same result. More spray with no response.

Good news is I believe I've cured myself of this mod "bug". Once this gets fixed, I'm done boys.

Bad news- I'm pullin' it back off again.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote