Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
Chevy69er

Drives: 2011 SLP ZL-585, 13' Silverado
Sandor is right. Ask for GM wa8624 thats the factory code. If it were me id go to a reptuable collision repair shop and buy a fresh mix. Experienced technicians will have a Alternate formula which will match much better than the factory touch-up. Btw the paint will go on too light and will darken when dried. Another tip is to cut the brush part down with a razor blade to make it less noticable...
Chevy69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #16
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandor View Post
If it is genuine GM touchup paint, the code on the bottle with be 50, or WA 8624. It will be described as "Olympic White" but that will be the correct code for your Summit White Camaro.
Thats not entirely true. When I ordered oem splash guards (from GM directly) in SW with the code you said, they came in Olmypic White. I was told it was the same color, different name. Well they were yellow compared to my car so I returned them. When I went to buy touch up paint they asked for my VIN bc "Camaro has 2 color codes, olympic white and SW" I asked to see both colors and you could clearly tell they were different whites.

Just be aware that this can be an issue.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #17
Chevy69er

Drives: 2011 SLP ZL-585, 13' Silverado
Angie your right their are two colors listed. Thats why i suggest going to a proffesional shop. If sbik21 came to my shop he wouldnt even have to give me the code. Hed simplky tell me the yr and model and id know exactly what he's needing. Besides i'd want his business if he ever (god forbid) got in an accident so i wouldnt even charge him! Parts guy at your dealership has not a clue compaired to a reputable shop.
Chevy69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #18
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
The color code is on the driver side door frame, take a phone pic of it and show it to whoever is ordering for you.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #19
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbik21 View Post
I went to my dealer to get some touch up paint for my 2011 Summit White. The bottle has a code of 12345116 and the label shows the color to be white.

I opened the bottle and got some paint on its brush, but the paint is silver/greyish. Does the color turn white when dryed?

sorry if I posted in the wrong section, I searched on the site and saw some of the paint questions were in the General Discussion.
For the 2011 Summit White Camaro, the correct "Color Code" is GAZ. The "Touch-Up Paint Number" is WA-8624.

An educated guess is that these are the codes for all Summit White Camaros, regardless of model year.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 04-28-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:01 AM   #20
Grimlock
dey see me rollin

Drives: the magic school bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
When you take it back, specifically ask for Summit White. This is gonna sound weird but GM says that the Camaro came in Summit White/Olympic White. They claim these are the same color with the same name but they are wrong! Olympic white is yellowish compared to SW so just make sure you specify to save you more trouble. ive had this issue with them b4.
This is fact. I got a tube of touch up paint in Olympic White since it was the "right" color code or w/e and when I applied it, it was a tad bit yellower. I haven't used it since.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #21
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Those little bottles of touch-up paint are good for minimizing the visual impact of a deep chip, but there is no way in the world to make a scratch disappear... generally, scratches will look worse after the application of touch- up paint, because even if the color is the right shade, the "hills and valleys" created by painting will make a scratch stand out far more than before. For small scratches, try wax... even color matched wax (it works pretty good). For DEEP chips, a dab of touch- up paint will prevent a spot from catching the eye, but will still need a body shop to make it look flawless.

I use touch up pant quite a bit... little gravel chips, random spots... but I use it VERY sparingly.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #22
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
I agree with Angie7. Olympic White has yellow tint. When I bought my car they said it was Olympic White but I thought it must be Rally Yellow.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #23
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
I need to do some touching up. On my 03 Lightning I pressure washed a half dollar sized spot of paint off the bumper and was able to order some paint online going off the paint code. Kinda looked crappy at first but wet sanding and polishing made it look factory to where you couldn't even tell a missing spot was repainted. Does anyone know the code to the 2011 black? And wheres the best place to buy/order paint from? The last cans I ordered had really cheap/crappy spray nozzles and it sprayed on crappy and leaked out of where the nozzle attached to the can. But on the plus side, the paint was a perfect match to the factory color (Sonic Blue). Would like to buy something of better quality this time around though.
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #24
sbik21

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT RS
So today I went to my dealer and asked about the touch up paint. Turns out he ordered the primer on accident.

Parts dept happened to have an extra bottle of GAZ paint from a couple weeks ago someone didn't pick up so they swapped it out for me.
Just an honest mistake, so it's no big deal.
sbik21 is offline   Reply With Quote