Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
ironpeddler

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
MAYBE Z28 Sooner than later?

Whitacre: General Motors will roll out new models early

Robert Snell / The Detroit News

General Motors Co. will introduce certain vehicles sooner than originally planned to fight market share erosion, the company's new chairman said today. Without being specific, Chairman Ed Whitacre said GM's Board of Directors has moved up some vehicle introductions to counter losses in market share -- a top priority for the former AT&T Inc. chairman and CEO. GM, which emerged from federal bankruptcy court July 10 after shedding debts and receiving $50 billion in federal aid, might reallocate spending plans to stem market share losses. "Our cash position is good," Whitacre said. "We have some flexibility." GM's share of the market declined last month from 20.5 percent to 18.9 percent -- down from more than 50 percent decades ago. Its market share is expected to shrink because GM is selling or phasing out the Saturn, Saab, Hummer and Pontiac brands as part of its restructuring. Whitacre spoke in a wide-ranging interview with reporters a day after the board concluded its first meeting since GM emerged from bankruptcy. He spoke about his relationship with United Auto Workers President Ron Gettelfinger and whether GM's corporate culture needs to change. "The people I've encountered certainly are capable and enthusiastic. I don't know that the culture really needs to be changed," he said. Whitacre said he recently met with Gettelfinger.
"I think relations are going to be quite good going forward. That is certainly my hope," Whitacre said. "We're all in this together."

Whitacre heads a largely revamped 13-member board, more than half of its members newly appointed, including four selected by its majority stakeholder, the U.S. government. The government holds 60.8 percent of GM, while the Canadian government holds 11.7 percent and a United Auto Workers health care trust owns 17.5 percent. Unsecured creditors own 10 percent. The board, which will meet monthly and by phone as needed, drove some of GM's new products at the Milford Proving Grounds on Tuesday. The board unanimously supports President and CEO Fritz Henderson, Whitacre said. "He certainly has our blessings and encouragement," he said. "He has everything he needs to do his job and knows what the board expects of him."

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...395/1148/rss25
http://www.egmcartech.com/2009/08/05...-than-planned/
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
interesting
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Cars we’d like to see GM release earlier than planned? Chevrolet Camaro Z28, Chevrolet Camaro Convertible and the Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

This is crap! How in the world are these three cars going to help GM to the point they want. Don't get me wrong guys, I want these cars as much as the next guy, but these are not high volume cars. Gm needs to sell the cars that really rake in the cash, and these three are not it.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I would be betting that the new vehicles would be in target markets that do not currently have a car that is outpacing demand. Expect new vehicles to include the Spark or Trax rather than a car that already has more buyers than cars on lots. The Z28 is not a guarantee, but there is the possibility that such a car may exist when GM is in a more stable place or when GM finds that Camaro production is leaving enough models in lots for everyone who immediately wants a car to get one.

If there is a Z28 in the cards, there's plenty of reason to believe that GM will produce it in a future where GM is viable and there are a few Camaros on lots. Now is not an ideal time to produce a Z28.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35632
maybe my speculations are right?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Here is the whole article from the detroit free press.... The mention about the Z/28 is not in here. It was added in by egmcartech.com as what they would want to see released early.

Whitacre: General Motors will roll out new models early

Robert Snell / The Detroit News

General Motors Co. will introduce certain vehicles sooner than originally planned to fight market share erosion, the company's new chairman said today. Without being specific, Chairman Ed Whitacre said GM's Board of Directors has moved up some vehicle introductions to counter losses in market share -- a top priority for the former AT&T Inc. chairman and CEO. GM, which emerged from federal bankruptcy court July 10 after shedding debts and receiving $50 billion in federal aid, might reallocate spending plans to stem market share losses. "Our cash position is good," Whitacre said. "We have some flexibility." GM's share of the market declined last month from 20.5 percent to 18.9 percent -- down from more than 50 percent decades ago. Its market share is expected to shrink because GM is selling or phasing out the Saturn, Saab, Hummer and Pontiac brands as part of its restructuring. Whitacre spoke in a wide-ranging interview with reporters a day after the board concluded its first meeting since GM emerged from bankruptcy. He spoke about his relationship with United Auto Workers President Ron Gettelfinger and whether GM's corporate culture needs to change. "The people I've encountered certainly are capable and enthusiastic. I don't know that the culture really needs to be changed," he said. Whitacre said he recently met with Gettelfinger.
"I think relations are going to be quite good going forward. That is certainly my hope," Whitacre said. "We're all in this together."

Whitacre heads a largely revamped 13-member board, more than half of its members newly appointed, including four selected by its majority stakeholder, the U.S. government. The government holds 60.8 percent of GM, while the Canadian government holds 11.7 percent and a United Auto Workers health care trust owns 17.5 percent. Unsecured creditors own 10 percent. The board, which will meet monthly and by phone as needed, drove some of GM's new products at the Milford Proving Grounds on Tuesday. The board unanimously supports President and CEO Fritz Henderson, Whitacre said. "He certainly has our blessings and encouragement," he said. "He has everything he needs to do his job and knows what the board expects of him."

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...395/1148/rss25
http://www.egmcartech.com/2009/08/05...-than-planned/
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I thought of that thread when I opened this one.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
This is crap! How in the world are these three cars going to help GM to the point they want. Don't get me wrong guys, I want these cars as much as the next guy, but these are not high volume cars. Gm needs to sell the cars that really rake in the cash, and these three are not it.

If you follow the sources in the OP's link you can see that the statement about the Camaro Z28, Camaro Convertible and the CTS-V Coupe was not made by Ed Whitacre it was added in by a third party.... just trying to clear up any confusion.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
It would make sense. I know exactly what you're thinking.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #11
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
I'd really consider a Z28 if they had it out by next summer, I don't see it happening though.
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #12
shinzon
Night Fury

Drives: 2014 ZL1
bs they will introduce new models.....really OK... threee crappy suv crossover...

Equinox, Caddy equinox, and GMC equinox

way to give us NEW models.....barf

2014 Black ZL1 - Toothless -
Previous Lovers :2014 1LE , 2010 2SS RS,2004 GTO, 2000 Camaro SS x 2
shinzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #13
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
If you follow the sources in the OP's link you can see that the statement about the Camaro Z28, Camaro Convertible and the CTS-V Coupe was not made by Ed Whitacre it was added in by a third party.... just trying to clear up any confusion.
Yeah, I know. I'm bi#*&$g at them not GM. My way of calling them dumb.Of course my opinion doesn't matter though...:(
Old 08-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #14
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
Yeah, I know. I'm bi#*&$g at them not GM. My way of calling them dumb.Of course my opinion doesn't matter though...:(
Got ya CC