Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #1
MARVIL

Drives: 2014 Camaro V6 RS
Breather filter / oil cap

I have seen some, but not many installing a breather filter on the oil cap. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Pros. Cons. Reason why it's done?

I've read on the topic but nothing in regards to the LFX engine.

Thoughts are welcomed.
GMPP body kit / 1.5" drop Phastek springs / Blacked out factory rims / Nitto Motivo tires / Blacked out exhaust tips / RPI carbon fiber hydropainted emblems / MGP RS caliper covers / BMR strut bar / Apex CAI scoop / VMAX ported throttle body / CAI cold air intake / Elite Engineering Oil catch can / Solo Performance high flow cats / MagnaFlow Tru-X X pipe / MRT v1

MARVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:33 AM   #2
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
The theory was that it would keep the airflow in the pcv system from reversing at wot, eventually sending oil in the clean side towards the intake. The reality is that is let un-metered air into the system, messing up the fuel trims and even causing blown engine seals in some cases.

I removed mine after much research and installed a smaller catch can in the line. This way, both the clean and dirty sides of the pcv have cans that can be emptied; while still keeping metered air in the system.

If you keep the OEM line on the clean side, you may want to check if any oil has made it all of the way back to the intake fitting. I know on my car, it took less than 3k miles to be visible in the end of the tube. The bulge in the line doesn't do much if anything to stop the oil vapors from migrating to where you don't want them to be.
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:27 AM   #3
MARVIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
The theory was that it would keep the airflow in the pcv system from reversing at wot, eventually sending oil in the clean side towards the intake. The reality is that is let un-metered air into the system, messing up the fuel trims and even causing blown engine seals in some cases.

I removed mine after much research and installed a smaller catch can in the line. This way, both the clean and dirty sides of the pcv have cans that can be emptied; while still keeping metered air in the system.

If you keep the OEM line on the clean side, you may want to check if any oil has made it all of the way back to the intake fitting. I know on my car, it took less than 3k miles to be visible in the end of the tube. The bulge in the line doesn't do much if anything to stop the oil vapors from migrating to where you don't want them to be.
Thanks. You have pictures of your setup with the 2 catch cans? This sounds like something I'd like to do. One of the reasons I wanted to do this was something you mentioned. Keeping the airflow in the pcv was my main reason but then again I had to ask. Thanks again.
GMPP body kit / 1.5" drop Phastek springs / Blacked out factory rims / Nitto Motivo tires / Blacked out exhaust tips / RPI carbon fiber hydropainted emblems / MGP RS caliper covers / BMR strut bar / Apex CAI scoop / VMAX ported throttle body / CAI cold air intake / Elite Engineering Oil catch can / Solo Performance high flow cats / MagnaFlow Tru-X X pipe / MRT v1

Old 12-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
See post #34 on this page: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=315604&page=2
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #5
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARVIL View Post
I have seen some, but not many installing a breather filter on the oil cap. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Pros. Cons. Reason why it's done?

I've read on the topic but nothing in regards to the LFX engine.

Thoughts are welcomed.
The Elite billet clean side separator is designed just for this, but as I routes into the CAI or stock intake air bridge assy it provides 100% MAF metered incoming air so no disruption in the short term fuel trims as well as maintains a emissions compliant closed system for the ultimate solution.

Easy to add to any catch can install.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:59 AM   #6
vs_pete

Drives: VEII MY12 Sportwagon 3.6L LFX V6
Can you tell me how you clean it?
They seen to be very hard to open to clean.
vs_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #7
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by vs_pete View Post
Can you tell me how you clean it?
They seen to be very hard to open to clean.

Easy. The billet separator is threaded and seals with O-ring just as all Elite catch cans do. Simply unscrew and spray the stainless steel coalescing media with brake clean, dry and reinstall.

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
MARVIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
Easy. The billet separator is threaded and seals with O-ring just as all Elite catch cans do. Simply unscrew and spray the stainless steel coalescing media with brake clean, dry and reinstall.

You mind sending me the link of the can you are referring to. I'm highly interested in adding this mod. Thanks.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:48 PM   #9
vs_pete

Drives: VEII MY12 Sportwagon 3.6L LFX V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post

Had a better look too easy thanks
vs_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:57 AM   #10
MARVIL

Can anyone send me a diagram/configuration on this setup for the LFX? I've seen them for the V8's. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Old 12-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #11
Twin Town Terror

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Can anyone send me a diagram/configuration on this setup for the LFX? I've seen them for the V8's. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
Check this thread out and see if it helps.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411415
Elite catch can & clean side oil separator, Apex Scoop, CAI cold air intake, Vmax ported throttle body, TTT ported intake manifold, JacFab intake manifold spacer, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Weld RT-S 17x5 f and 17x 9 r wheels, MT 28/6/17 f and M&H 275/50/17 r tires, TTT rear seat delete, Nitrous Outlet plate kit, 125hp jets.
Twin Town Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #12
MARVIL

I saw your thread on that..... 3 pics doesn't cut it for me. Lol. Well 2 actually. I see that oil cap I was referring to but where does that connect to exactly and what do I close off? Still learning here so be patient with me now. = P

Old 12-20-2015, 02:11 PM   #13
Twin Town Terror

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
I saw your thread on that..... 3 pics doesn't cut it for me. Lol. Well 2 actually. I see that oil cap I was referring to but where does that connect to exactly and what do I close off? Still learning here so be patient with me now. = P
When you installed your CAI there was a rubber hose that you pushed onto a nipple that is on the aluminum tube (right by the front drivers side corner of the engine cover). Follow that stock rubber hose back to where it starts on a nipple on the very back of the drivers side valve cover. Pull that hose off of the car. Plug the nipple on the very back of the drivers side valve cover with a rubber cap (pictured). Run a rubber hose from the nipple on the Elite Oil Seperator to the nipple on the CAI. Done.
Elite catch can & clean side oil separator, Apex Scoop, CAI cold air intake, Vmax ported throttle body, TTT ported intake manifold, JacFab intake manifold spacer, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Weld RT-S 17x5 f and 17x 9 r wheels, MT 28/6/17 f and M&H 275/50/17 r tires, TTT rear seat delete, Nitrous Outlet plate kit, 125hp jets.
Twin Town Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #14
MARVIL

Bam! Ok. Gotcha. Thanks a bundle!