Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
racerx8

Drives: '18 SIM 1LE '16 NRB Z06 '21 C8 Z51
Pedders 1LE Permagrin install

I finally installed my Pedders 1LE Permagrin pkge last week. Hang your Camaro from a two post lift and tip #1 heat the stock rear sub-frame bushes until you see the gooey stuff at the top and with a good slide hammer they will pop right out. Clean up the holes and lube the EP1201 HD bushes, slide them right in. Don't forget to time the bushes. Hang the 1LE 32mm bar and 45 minutes later you are done. The EP6577 front radius bushes just remove them, hydraulic press out the old and press in the new and in less than 2 hrs. front and rear done and off the lift. Thanks, Pedders, they work!
racerx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
That is going to be one kick-ass handling Camaro. You will surprise quite a few Mustangs at the track, among others. Enjoy and keep us posted after you've put it through the paces!
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
racerx8

thanks, OC it doesn't hurt with 457 rwhp either!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx8 View Post
thanks, OC it doesn't hurt with 457 rwhp either!
My car is on the chassis dyno as we speak, dialing in the cam, longtubes, high-flow cats and CAI. I don't think I'll hit numbers as high as yours, as I went mild lift on the cam since my machine's a road courser. I pick her up tomorrow!

UPDATE: Just got a call from the shop, 478 RWHP! So much for a mild cam, LOL
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086

Last edited by Orange Crush 1LE; 10-02-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I can feel the 11LE love in the air
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
This kit and springs are getting done early next year...
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
Can you explain your comment on "timing the bushings". Maybe show pictures?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
jgalewsk

Drives: 2013 Summit White Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyApex View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179281

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153188

Those two links should explain everything... If you still have questions, feel free to ask. Hopefully, someone might be able to get some pictures during install for ya.
jgalewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyApex View Post
A rubber bushing with a bonded steel ferule does not rotate when the control arm articulates. It twists. When a vehicle is on a lift and the wheels hanging down, that is the furthest downward motion possible. If you tighten the suspension bolts in that position when the vehicle is set on the ground the bushing will be twisted, under load, and want to 'spring back to the full droop position. When the suspension is compressed further traversing a bump in the road the resistance in that bushing increases and then wants to 'spring' back down past the at rest ride height and to full droop.

In short, there is more bushing resistance in the compression of the suspension and less resistance on the rebound. I'll do a video over the next couple of days with a control arm in a vice.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
Big C CamaroSS

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
This question is for racerx8 or Pete. Is this an install a certified (Hyundai) mechanic can do? My mechanic buddy did an outstanding job installing my Magnuson supercharger, but he had the step by step manual to guide him. Are there instructions on the Pedders website that I could print off that would guide him (us) installing the 1LE Permagrin pkg? The 32mm sway bar should be straight forward (hopefully).....I'm concerned with the bushings!

This is for Pete....I have the Pedders ZL1 27mm front & 32mm rear sway bars. What would adding the front sway bar do to the 1LE's handling?
Big C CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C CamaroSS View Post
This question is for racerx8 or Pete. Is this an install a certified (Hyundai) mechanic can do? My mechanic buddy did an outstanding job installing my Magnuson supercharger, but he had the step by step manual to guide him. Are there instructions on the Pedders website that I could print off that would guide him (us) installing the 1LE Permagrin pkg? The 32mm sway bar should be straight forward (hopefully).....I'm concerned with the bushings!

This is for Pete....I have the Pedders ZL1 27mm front & 32mm rear sway bars. What would adding the front sway bar do to the 1LE's handling?
Sways are straight forward. The rear is cake. In the front, on a lift the key is to work off one or both of the OEM sway bar brackets. A pair of large Channel lock pliers give good leverage. I have seen techs do it with large screw drivers. Once the bracket or brackets are off the hard work is over.

Using our 27 compared to the factory 27 is a no brainer. It is Pedders Red and automatically adds 15 RWHP

The factory bar is fixed position. Our bar is adjustable. Using the enter hole consider it a factory bar. Move to the softest hole, the hole furthest away from the mounting straps and closest to the firewall, your 1LE delivers an incredibly smooth transition to oversteer at slightly lower track speeds. If you want to dial it down, move the endlinks to the hole closest to the radiator. You now have more bar than OEM.

Sway bar settings are not locked down. Want just a little more bar? Then move one endlink to the soft hole and leave the other in the center hole. Adjust tire pressure, alignment, spring rate, compression and rebound along with incremental changes to the bars. Pretty soon we have some flexibility in setup
Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
racerx8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C CamaroSS View Post

Regarding the rear bushing R&R see my original post here, it's actually quite easy the way I did it. Refer to Pete's post on the front radius bushing R&R, loosely tight, then to spec tighten with suspension loaded (on the ground or lowered onto an alignment rack).
Good luck and enjoy the ride, Joe