Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #15
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPAINTBRIDGES31 View Post
I have the kooks 1 7/8 catted with a borla catback and a cold air industries intake and my car sounds freaking ridiculous. The guy the helped my installed said "man I'm not trying to stroke you off but that is one of the best sounding exhausts I have ever heard". The guy does custom exhaust work for a living so I think I'll take his word for it.
I have the same exhaust set up, and I concur. It is out of this world sounding... gives you chills. I love the scream above 3500
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #16
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
if you even think about putting a 1 3/4 primary header on one of these cars, you need to be shot.

1 7/8.... if not, then go trade your car in for a v6, because you were not meant to drive a v8 camaro. (no offense to any v6 owners)

and i've known plenty of people that have put headers/exhaust on a car without voiding the warranty. all depends on the dealer. believe it or not, a dealer still makes money on warranty work. and if not.... i did my headers/exhaust in under 2 hours... that's proper removal and installation. If you need to go in for warranty work... keep your factory exhaust.
The OP mentioned a tune. That will void the entire powertrain warranty. I got "pay to play" but when someone says noob and looking at something this extreme, just throwing some information out there that may not have been considered. I'm digging the suspension mod, absolutely!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...72&postcount=6
Old 03-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #17
Jferrell88

Drives: black 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGazinya View Post
I have the same exhaust set up, and I concur. It is out of this world sounding... gives you chills. I love the scream above 3500
which borla catback do you guys have ive been trying to decide between borla and magnaflow, sorry not trying to thread jack
Old 03-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #18
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I've had the full Kooks exhaust on my car since last Oct. Just watch out for the drone. It was so bad I had to install resonators just to make it driveable and its still there. It does sound nice though!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #19
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jferrell88 View Post
which borla catback do you guys have ive been trying to decide between borla and magnaflow, sorry not trying to thread jack
Borla S-type.. It sounds soooo good with longtubes
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #20
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
He's opening your eyes a bit. Your ENTIRE powertrain warranty is gone if you flash a tune to your car. Have you thought about an axle back system? If sound is what your looking for, why headers? Just curious.
To be honest, I'm not sure which way I'll go just yet. IPS did talk about an axle back system with me. (I was encouraged by others whose judgement I trust to get rid of the stock resonators and go with a cat back system.) I also want to do it right the first time. I plan to get a tune (I do not like the AFM) and if I modify the car later, I have to pay another $450 for another tune. I'd rather do the whole system now, at least I think I do.

I have not made any firm decisions. I am getting quotes for both cat back and axle back systems as well as headers. I am going to a meet up with a bunch of the Ohio C5 gang on Saturday (we're having a mod fest at a members farm where there is a nice shop with a lift). We will put my CAI intake on my car that day. After that, I want to see what the others have done to their cars and have a discussion with those who have done various header/exhaust mods to listen/see/feel the different options. That way I can find out for myself which seems best for me. Right now I am in the data gather mode.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #21
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
I understand. It's addictive, I know. I'm just putting out a little info that no one likes to hear. A reminder I guess (I don't know if it's the angel or devil on your shoulder). I don't think anyone will steer you wrong.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #22
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
You are going to be technically voiding the warranty with the tune.

Do yourself a favor

get the headers now.

/thread

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #23
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
The OP mentioned a tune. That will void the entire powertrain warranty. I got "pay to play" but when someone says noob and looking at something this extreme, just throwing some information out there that may not have been considered. I'm digging the suspension mod, absolutely!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...72&postcount=6

This is absolutely weighing heavily on my decision. I may just do the suspension mod and hold off for a while on the exhaust system and tune.

One reason I went with the CAI intake is that it is supposed to work well without a tune.

I've made no final decisions on this. At this point, I'm inclined to do drive it with the CAI intake and the suspension mod for a while and then wait to decide on the exhaust. I'm just exploring my options. The other advantage to waiting is that I can actually save a bit more money! I won't be rushing into things.

I told IPS that I'm not a mechanic and I absolutely want a set up that is reliable. I don't want to get stranded with my car. (I know that can never be guaranteed). They said the system they're recommending has been reliable in their experience.

I appreciate all of your perspectives on this. Thank you.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #24
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I've had the full Kooks exhaust on my car since last Oct. Just watch out for the drone. It was so bad I had to install resonators just to make it driveable and its still there. It does sound nice though!
Do you have an automatic? Is it the AFM that is causing the drone? I've heard that can be a big problem with after market exhausts with AFM.

Maybe the Kooks headers with Borla exhaust is the way to go.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #25
Jferrell88

Drives: black 2ss/rs
i know warranties a big deal. but i would have stopped they guy unloading my car on the truck so i could get underneath it to cut off those damn resonators if i got an a6. and as someone mentioned above the warranty alot up to how your dealer and service manager feel your mods have affected your car. at least thats been my experience but my dealers pretty cool. imo if you want a good exhaust get what you want. period dont worry about warranty get whats gonna put a smile on your face when you mash the gas,cause that what camaros are all about good luck bud. and i dont with you could go wrong with headers and a borla cat back after watching a couple vids, borlas just get plain brutal with long tubes its a great sound
Old 03-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #26
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I'm going with the FlowMaster American Thunder system. It's a 3" catback with x-pipe and Classic 40's for under $1000. It's a big bang for the buck IMO, and the sound is awesome. FYI if you have the storage, keep your old exhaust ...
Old 03-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #27
Darth_Emma

From what I'm reading here, it looks like the Kooks 1 7/8" longtube headers:
http://www.ipsmotorsports.net/produc...oducts_id=3533

work well with the Borla stinger exhaust:
http://www.ipsmotorsports.net/produc...oducts_id=3591

Just a note, I don't know why the Kooks 1 7/8" system is about $400 cheaper than the 1 3/4" or 2" Kooks headers on this page (there are 3 Kooks headers on that page):
http://www.ipsmotorsports.net/index....3694_3759_3905

Thanks again for all your help, guys.

I don't want to ruin the great conversation by mentioning this, but I'm actually not a guy. But, if it makes you feel any better, I'm the one in my house who buys the electronics (I love home theater gear and computers) and I'm a major football fan. I'm not a "fluff chick," but my husband thinks that's great, so it's all good.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #28
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I'm going with the FlowMaster American Thunder system. It's a 3" catback with x-pipe and Classic 40's for under $1000. It's a big bang for the buck IMO, and the sound is awesome. FYI if you have the storage, keep your old exhaust ...
I was planning to keep everything that comes off of my car, so I can put it back to stock if I ever want to. We used to have horses here, so I can store this stuff in the building we used to store hay in.