Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
MCPOAJ

Drives: LS2 FD RX7
what will happen???

i'm tired of hearing **** from the GTR nissan people cause they beat the zr1 in the nurinburg (sp?) hot laps i want to know if the camaro will stomp on it cause i want the 2009 ss camaro to stomp on it so bad they go back to their pos company back in japan and cry that their "god child" of a car got beat by a
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
chevyforlife

Drives: '72 chevy truck(long&short box
Send a message via MSN to chevyforlife
just like any other chevy fan i was mad, but thats only one car. but the corvette has been a very hard car to compete against for along time. sure its bad that it got beat but who can afford that nissan anyway? and i dont like nissan but its not something to get pissed about. cause the camaro is comin and the nissan ppl had to get somethin out to "try" to compete with it.
just my two cents
chevyforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Calm down man,,,,i don't even think those runs the corvette did were official were they...
Old 04-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Just my two cents....not a fair comparision......they aren't competitors...the GT-R was built to compete with the Porsches, Corvettes, R8's in the world, not the muscle cars....sure, someone will probably cross-shop them just because some of the similarities (price will put most people back into the Chevy lots though), but overall, they don't compete with each other.

And, as much as I would love to see it....I highly, highly doubt that the Camaro would "stomp" the GT-R on a track like the Ring....maybe in a drag race, but even then, not likely.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The GT-R will have other problems. I don't care. We'll all boost our Camaros and stomp on some imports when we get them. Besides, the real cars that we'll see on the streets won't be GT-Rs. We'll have to contend with 16-year-olds rocking old 240SXs and Civic Sis. We'll run the streets when these come out. Don't worry.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
MCPOAJ

Drives: LS2 FD RX7
k i won't personally getting a 2009 camaro (can't afford one) but i hope you all stomp them cause i'm tired of hearing smack from them
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
i agree with Silverado when he says that they are not really competitors, but

nissan has also put the best they could find in the skyline..OOOPS...GTR...it's performance is pretty much maxed out unless they go with something really exotic which not many people (who can afford a sky...whatever) are going to do... GM has left us with many options to do to our camaro...plus a price range that is actually affordable...i wouldn't worry too much
Old 04-11-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
a $40k Camaro +$30k in upgrades > $70k GTR

But, stock for stock, GTR wins. SS Camaro will have performance rivaling the base corvette. GTR rivals the Z06.

Also, the ZR-1 ran a luke warm lap, not a hot lap. Unless you believe that it has the same performance as a Z06.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #9
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
I'm just going to stay out of this.... Lets just say I'm an avid fan of both and leave it at that.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #10
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
i am rather perturbed to c the z06 get beat on the 0-60 by some ricer on steroids, but i just keep thinking, it still doesn't beat it on the 1/4 or the top end. i think it's just that darn launch control that helps it off the line. but watch the video on youtube of edmunds testing it, it doesn'tlook that fast off the line, looks like a lot of wheel spin. but in any event, i am impressed somewhat and angry. i just hope this encourages gm to pump the vette up a little. i don't mind gm being beaten by european beast, but just not by ricers!
smokn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:53 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokn' View Post
i am rather perturbed to c the z06 get beat on the 0-60 by some ricer on steroids, but i just keep thinking, it still doesn't beat it on the 1/4 or the top end. i think it's just that darn launch control that helps it off the line. but watch the video on youtube of edmunds testing it, it doesn'tlook that fast off the line, looks like a lot of wheel spin. but in any event, i am impressed somewhat and angry. i just hope this encourages gm to pump the vette up a little. i don't mind gm being beaten by european beast, but just not by ricers!
its as much the all wheel drive as the launch control. A car with 4 wheels driving has the capacity to apply twice the force to the road vs one with 2. Plus, the Z06 has a very tall 1st gear, to allow it to hit 60 without shifting. The advanced gearbox in the GTR lets it make very fast shifts allowing it to use closer spaced gears effectively. That is also why it will get nasty mileage (I'd be surprised if it gets much more than 20 highway)and has a lower top speed and 1/4 mile time.

The GTR is a good performance value, just like the Corvette. But it isn't the be all and end all and there are a few important areas where the Z06 is still king. And any street racers in GTRs who challenge a Z06 on the highway (stupid, for several reasons). The nissan has no hope of matching the vette's 60-100 time or top speed.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote