Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Should I keep these $84.99 tires?
Yes 21 52.50%
No 17 42.50%
Maybe 1 2.50%
Other (explain below please) 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2017, 08:43 PM   #1
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Should I keep these $84.99 tires?

So I bought this new to me '14 2LT/RS vert and the dealer had already put new tires on. They are Hercules Ironman iMove Gen2. I had never heard of this brand before but when I looked online I found the front 245/45-20 size costs only $84.99 at tirebuyer.com - talk about dirt cheap! I assume they're made in China? On Tirerack.com the cheapest tire in this size is a Sumitomo for $131.42. The scary thing is I briefly had the car up to 102 mph over the weekend on these tires (I was in Mexico of course ). So should I give them a chance or am I risking my life? I don't plan on driving this car too hard - its role will be that of a weekend cruiser and occasional suburban commuter.
(Edit: They're made in Vietnam, not China)
Attached Images

Last edited by GatorGreg; 12-20-2017 at 10:25 AM.
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Don’t go over highway speeds (+10/15) or drive aggressively and you’ll be fine. Just don’t push them.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:37 PM   #3
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
TireRack explains the speed rating: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=35

Note that the rating is for sustained speeds. A bit over the rating for an instant should not cause the tire to disintegrate.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #4
GatorGreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Don’t go over highway speeds (+10/15) or drive aggressively and you’ll be fine. Just don’t push them.
Thanks SquawkVFR, that's sort of my thinking as well but knowing how cheap they are has me a bit nervous so I wanted to get some other opinions. By the way, from your name I assume you have a VFR? What year? Are you on VFRWorld? Here's my '14 below - awesome bike!
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2017, 09:50 PM   #5
GatorGreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
TireRack explains the speed rating: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=35

Note that the rating is for sustained speeds. A bit over the rating for an instant should not cause the tire to disintegrate.
Thanks Fred - the tires have a "W" speed rating on them so I should be able to safely cruise the autobahn at 168 mph after I swap in a ZL1 engine
Old 12-19-2017, 10:27 PM   #6
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
For what it's worth, I've never heard of these Super Hercules Ironman American Johnny USA#1 2.0 tires, but I think you're right, sounds like a Chinese special. Bought a brand new trailer last summer to pull my cars to track/shows. Bought directly from the manufacturer a couple hours away from my house. Great trailer, very well built, but got home and noticed tires made in China (I guess many trailer tires are these days). Called up the manufacturer, he said it's common, but bring the trailer back and he'd replace tires. Had to go to a show that weekend so I told him I'd go in after I got back. Pooed bricks all the way to the show and back. Got home safely and went to get them swapped the following weekend. About 15 miles out from the trailer place, one of the right ones blew, seperated at the sidewall. He replaced them all at no cost, but long story short, not worth your safety, life or damage to your car and cars around you. I know it sucks spending money right after buying a new car, but you're buying peace of mind, worth it.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #7
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
They're free, what would you do if you got new ones? (sell or just have the tire shop dispose of them) Odds are the tread will wear off fast since they are so cheap so I say run them then when they are worn out replace them. Hell with free, cheap tires you may be inclined to do some burnouts and not have to worry about wasting your good tires.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #8
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGreg View Post
Thanks SquawkVFR, that's sort of my thinking as well but knowing how cheap they are has me a bit nervous so I wanted to get some other opinions. By the way, from your name I assume you have a VFR? What year? Are you on VFRWorld? Here's my '14 below - awesome bike!
Lol, no. It’s a transponder code for pilots. Squawk basically means to turn to a certain code, VFR is 1200. VFR means visual flight rules or flying by sight and not instruments.

But nice bike!
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:17 PM   #9
GatorGreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Lol, no. It’s a transponder code for pilots. Squawk basically means to turn to a certain code, VFR is 1200. VFR means visual flight rules or flying by sight and not instruments.

But nice bike!
Hahahaha oops! Thanks for the explanation - in motorcycle parlance "VFR" means Honda V4 engine - here's a good vid that explains their history:

Old 12-19-2017, 11:42 PM   #10
GatorGreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talladega View Post
They're free, what would you do if you got new ones? (sell or just have the tire shop dispose of them) Odds are the tread will wear off fast since they are so cheap so I say run them then when they are worn out replace them. Hell with free, cheap tires you may be inclined to do some burnouts and not have to worry about wasting your good tires.
I would just dispose of them. I have the V6 automatic so I don't think I need to concern myself with smokey burnouts unfortunately
Old 12-19-2017, 11:53 PM   #11
GatorGreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzobian View Post
For what it's worth, I've never heard of these Super Hercules Ironman American Johnny USA#1 2.0 tires, but I think you're right, sounds like a Chinese special. Bought a brand new trailer last summer to pull my cars to track/shows. Bought directly from the manufacturer a couple hours away from my house. Great trailer, very well built, but got home and noticed tires made in China (I guess many trailer tires are these days). Called up the manufacturer, he said it's common, but bring the trailer back and he'd replace tires. Had to go to a show that weekend so I told him I'd go in after I got back. Pooed bricks all the way to the show and back. Got home safely and went to get them swapped the following weekend. About 15 miles out from the trailer place, one of the right ones blew, seperated at the sidewall. He replaced them all at no cost, but long story short, not worth your safety, life or damage to your car and cars around you. I know it sucks spending money right after buying a new car, but you're buying peace of mind, worth it.
Yikes - that's what I'm worried about - I think I need to ask Santa for some new BFG's for xmas!
Old 12-19-2017, 11:55 PM   #12
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talladega View Post
Agree...I'd do the same, I just wouldn't exceed the (sustained) rated speed. Heck, who knows under 'normal' driving, they might even exceed the P-Zeros in regards to tread life.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:36 AM   #13
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGreg View Post
Thanks Fred - the tires have a "W" speed rating on them so I should be able to safely cruise the autobahn at 168 mph after I swap in a ZL1 engine
'W' on a Chinese tire stands for Wong wating.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #14
GatorGreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
'W' on a Chinese tire stands for Wong wating.
LOL - turns out I was way wong! I just went in the garage and snapped this pic - at least they weren't made in North Korea
Attached Images