Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #57
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Drives: 11 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
You're confusing LIDAR and RADAR. There exists NO LIDAR detectors in the U.S. There are scramblers, but they're expensive ($500+) and illegal. "Laser" is LIDAR... never to be confused by RADAR. Most departments use these even the BFE cities, so using a detector is virtually useless (looks cool on the dash ). Imagine pulling someone over and walking up to them to find a working RADAR detector. Then they tell you, "Well I just bought this piece of garbage and obviously it doesn't work". Yeah I don't have to, I've heard it before.

RADAR detectors work on a line of sight premise. They don't detect RADAR unless it can see it. Like I said, if the Officer is doing what he's supposed to, confirming your speed with a gun AFTER he see's you, then you'll never detect it (if you do, you've already been "tagged"). Anyone who says, "I've been saved many times" is confused. They were lucky in that the Officer didn't have the gun on and locked them in. Which is irregardless anyway... they're used for confirmation of speed not getting the speed. Which means the Officer can still pull you over and cite you just based on his visual estimation. If he didn't pull you over it's because he didn't want, not because the device saved you.

There's a lot of common misconceptions with these devices and lot of people run around with what they think is a peace of mind. The only piece of mind being had is the company they bought the thing from, and they're able to take these people to the bank every quarter with positive sales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
I've had my Passport for five years. Been detecting Laser since I got it. First you say they don't exist, then you say they didn't exist a couple years ago. You're changing your story in a futile attempt to prove you weren't wrong. You were, and you are, and you know it. Same thing with the "higher altitude=better times argument'. For whatever reason, you just can't/won't admit you're wrong. You are one of leading purveyors of mis-information on this site.
Quote:
No, and don't read into what I said. What I said exactly is they don't exist... as of a couple years ago when I was certified in LIDAR/RADAR. What I did say more than once is that I'd actually like to see a device that legitimately detects LIDAR. RADAR detectors work, and I fully agree to that. But there's no area effect in the scope of a RADAR gun with LIDAR. Unless they hit DIRECTLY where the device is I don't believe the claims. I'd have to see an independently tested device to see it in action.

Good for you, that you have a device that says it picks up LIDAR. I'm happy for you. But I've never seen it and never heard of it. I have heard of plenty of claims that say their devices do it, but none that have shown it. If someone were to show me that documentation then I would say, yes... they do in fact work.

But AGAIN, and the main point here which you and others fail to recognize, is that these devices are USELESS. If you pick up LIDAR you're already targeted. If you pick up RADAR, you're likely targeted (though with the cone of the gun it's possible someone else is and you're picking up the remainder).

I'm giving NO ONE misinformation. It's not my fault you can't read plain English and seem to read into everything that's said. just like you did with that other thread. Go back and read it and you'll see where I said it's a MIX that seems effective. Take a look at the numbers on the net where people have gone to multiple elevations. I don't need to hold your hand to do that I hope. So move along from your trolling and slander and let the adults talk before you end up saying something you'll regret.
How am I mis-reading that quote about them not existing?

A mix that seems effective? Cite an example. My guess is you've never drag raced in your life, and I doubt you even know anyone who has.

Saying something I'll regret? Are you a tough guy?
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #58
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
How am I mis-reading that quote about them not existing?

A mix that seems effective? Cite an example. My guess is you've never drag raced in your life, and I doubt you even know anyone who has.

Saying something I'll regret? Are you a tough guy?
Yeah you're right... I've never dragged race in my life. In fact I don't even own a Camaro. I ride a bicycle to and from my paper route every morning. Don't be foolish and yes, something you'll regret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
Apples and oranges.... He / she can write you for 90 if he / she wants... I have never seen an officer write an actual speed based ticket without using a set amount of distance and a stop watch, or a radar confirmation... To do so would be foolish and irresponsible on the officers part....

Bottom line is that he / she can write you for whatever they want... It's their reputation on the line in front of the judge.... Most judges would more than likely roll their eyes at a visual only speed based ticket... Now general speed rule or exhibition of speed is a different kind of fish...

The general rule is that you always error on the side of the motorist... First of all, it makes you look reasonable and credible in court, and secondly, if you write for the higher speed it make you look just the opposite... I was always trained, and trained others that you error on the side of the motorist...
Well I don't know what they do in Central USA, but they most certainly do write tickets without the aid of a device. It's not foolish or irresponsible because you're qualified in visual estimations. Here you're required to perform at LEAST 24 hours of continuous estimations in order to be certified (then be tested by an Instructor on those estimations). Again the tool (gun) being to aid in confirming the speed. Not the other way around (like some people might think). So you could write a thousand tickets without a LIDAR/RADAR gun and be fine. As long as you can explain your training, experience, and what happened with this particular driver there's no argument. Of course, any competent defense attorney would probably try and put doubt in a judges mind as to the Officers qualifications and the circumstances surrounding this. A result from a LIDAR gun would add credibility to the Officers testimony. But then I wouldn't know many Officers who are certified to use these and not be credible.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #59
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Drives: 11 2LT
Quote:
Yeah you're right... I've never dragged race in my life. In fact I don't even own a Camaro. I ride a bicycle to and from my paper route every morning. Don't be foolish and yes, something you'll regret.
Gotcha. [Filing "John Shields" under "Internet Tough Guy"].
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:30 PM   #60
raqball

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Well I don't know what they do in Central USA, but they most certainly do write tickets without the aid of a device. It's not foolish or irresponsible because you're qualified in visual estimations. Here you're required to perform at LEAST 24 hours of continuous estimations in order to be certified (then be tested by an Instructor on those estimations). Again the tool (gun) being to aid in confirming the speed. Not the other way around (like some people might think). So you could write a thousand tickets without a LIDAR/RADAR gun and be fine. As long as you can explain your training, experience, and what happened with this particular driver there's no argument. Of course, any competent defense attorney would probably try and put doubt in a judges mind as to the Officers qualifications and the circumstances surrounding this. A result from a LIDAR gun would add credibility to the Officers testimony. But then I wouldn't know many Officers who are certified to use these and not be credible.
Like I said above... An officer can write it for 90mph if he / she wants... Any certified radar operator who is conducting speed enforcement, should have AND use the tools he / she is given... Yes the radar verifies the officers speed estimation.... At +/- 3mph you are actually talking about a 6mph variation.... I know of NO officer who would write an actual speed based ticket on estimated speed alone.... It's called responsibility and erring on the side of the citizen / motorist...

Yes there are some out of control officers who write tickets because it makes them feel good... Any true professional is strictly looking to enforce the speed limit within reason....

A +/- 3mph = 6mph total.... At 60mph that is a 10% error margin... If an officer feels the need to write a speed based ticket on a variation that wide then he / she is just looking to compile numbers / stats for his / her own chest thumping...

--Can an officer do it? You bet!
--Is it responsible? No!
--Would I want to work with an officer who conducts him / her self like that? No way....
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #61
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
Like I said above... An officer can write it for 90mph if he / she wants... Any certified radar operator who is conducting speed enforcement, should have AND use the tools he / she is given... Yes the radar verifies the officers speed estimation.... At +/- 3mph you are actually talking about a 6mp variation.... I know of NO officer who would write an actual speed based ticket on estimated speed alone.... It's called responsibility and erring on the side of the citizen / motorist...

Yes there are some out of control officer who write tickets because it makes them feel good... Any true professional is strictly looking to enforce the speed limit within reason.... A +/- 3mph = 6mph total.... At 60mpg that is a 10% error margin)... If an officer feels the need to write a speed based ticket on a variation that wide then he / she is just looking to compile numbers / stats for his / her own chest thumping...

Can an officer do it? you bet! Is it responsible? No! Would I want to work with an officer who conducts him / her self like that? No way....
The joys of the world is each place does it's own thing and we're not bound to a single set rule (exception being national regulations). I got you, don't worry. I see what you're saying and I was only telling you that here it's done. Like I said, it's definitely better to justify that stop and ticket with a confirmation, but it's not required. I'll disagree that it's irresponsible, but then again, that's just the joys of how people can have varying opinions.

I'm sending you a PM real quick. Something I didn't want to mention here. Hopefully it makes sense and doesn't come across as "asshat-ish". It's most certainly not meant that way.

Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
Old 08-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #62
razorduck
Self Made Thousandaire

Drives: 2011 SS/RS RJT
Sorry folks. I didn't mean to get any bad blood going when I started this thread. I just was asking a question about something that admittedly, I know nothing about. Please let's all be decent to one another, this site is just for fun and info....
razorduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #63
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorduck View Post
Sorry folks. I didn't mean to get any bad blood going when I started this thread. I just was asking a question about something that admittedly, I know nothing about. Please let's all be decent to one another, this site is just for fun and info....
Yeah no... there's no problems. It's all good. I probably should have gone into more detail to explain a few things (I'm usually just to the point in most of these posts). For the future, I'll get more specific and include lots of little words.

Hopefully you got something out of this. In short, there's no BEST detector for RADAR, but there exists thousands out there alot of them great, and a lot of them terrible. I'd go onto Amazon or a similar website and look at the reviews. Guys can tell you what works best for them, and I'd take that with a grain of salt. Not everyone who says "this saved me" understands what happened exactly. 9/10 times a device like this wont save you from a ticket. But it's worth looking into if you're worried. Personally I'd save the money and just slow down, but that's me.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #64
fearless

Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss grey/black
Quote:
Yeah no... there's no problems. It's all good. I probably should have gone into more detail to explain a few things (I'm usually just to the point in most of these posts). For the future, I'll get more specific and include lots of little words.

Hopefully you got something out of this. In short, there's no BEST detector for RADAR, but there exists thousands out there alot of them great, and a lot of them terrible. I'd go onto Amazon or a similar website and look at the reviews. Guys can tell you what works best for them, and I'd take that with a grain of salt. Not everyone who says "this saved me" understands what happened exactly. 9/10 times a device like this wont save you from a ticket. But it's worth looking into if you're worried. Personally I'd save the money and just slow down, but that's me.
LOL They can save you from tickets a lot of the time. You have a real vendetta for people who think their detectors work its quite amusing reading your long drawn out posts full of no sense.
fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #65
raqball

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I'd never advocate speeding... Detectors should be used to check your speed... It's easy to get 10mph over the limit and not even know it...

For someone who wants to drive like an idiot, there is no detector to protect them from their own stupidity....

A detector can save you if you are a normal driver who has a slight led foot..... It will allow you to check your speed and ease off a bit... For the morons who want to drive at excessive speeds and drive like a moron, there really is nothing to guard against stupidity...
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:29 PM   #66
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearless View Post
LOL They can save you from tickets a lot of the time. You have a real vendetta for people who think their detectors work its quite amusing reading your long drawn out posts full of no sense.
I don't have anything against someone with a detector. If it works, great. But 9/10 times it wont. If you're pegged, you're pegged. Like I said a thousand times already you guys are more than welcome to spend your money on devices. Throw some my way too while you're at it. I can probably craft up a cool black box with some LED's that you can put on the dash in exchange.

I have no issues with people using them as they're legal (here and the majority of the US anyway). Until the law changes and it becomes an issue, then I wont tell people not to get them. But if people want to use them they can. What did I suggest more than once? To just obey the speed limits (within reason) and you wont need a device like that. Just as mentioned above, you're probably safe most places with 10mph or less.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #67
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
My Passport also picked up laser, I knew I was being hit and jammed the brakes...didn't get pulled over, but it could have been I wasn't speeding fast enough (78 in 65). The one time I got pulled over, it was aerial patrol that got me...but the cop was generous and let me go with a warning (81 in 65). I use the Speed Warning function that came with the car, it works pretty well to remind me to slow down. I quit using my radar detector, its easier on my blood pressure to do reasonable speeds than drive like a bat out of hell hoping that a radar detector will save my rearend. That doesn't mean I don't take the car out and stretch her legs every now and then
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #68
Synergy_synner

Drives: Synergy Camaro
Jamming the brakes IMO is the biggest clue to a LEO that someone is speeding. One in front with a good eye will see the nose bow down slightly in a confromation of guilt and a cop behind that knows about the speed trap will see the brake lights. And know to watch that car closely.

Hopefully everyone can understand what I'm talking about. And if you want to jam the brakes go ahead. As I said, just my opinion.

Synergy_synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #69
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
I don't disagree with you at all, jamming the brakes does make you look suspicious. The only reason I did it was instinct. I used to work at a 24hr convenience store and talked up the LEO that would frequent for complimentary donuts and coffee, and they offered a wide array of opinions, but some agreed that if they saw your nose dip as you jammed your brakes, that was good enough for them...they did their job...you slowed down, it just depended how fast you were going. They also said that radar detectors were a waste of money. Lots (not all) of people using radar detectors are the chronic speeders whose speeds are much greater than the rest of traffic, so a visual estimation of the speed is made easier and is then confirmed with a quick shot of active radar leads to ticket.
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #70
Synergy_synner

Drives: Synergy Camaro
+1

i understand it being instinct. when i first got a detector 2 years ago (obviously long before i had my camaro) that was my first reaction. It was a good thing i would go only 5 over at most because i drove a '99 jeep and it was in iffy condition but still driveable.

always good to be able to talk to LEO's and get helpfull hints from them to help ya be a safer driver.

Synergy_synner is offline   Reply With Quote