Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #1149
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Got the Turn One power steering pump back from the polisher today. Here are a few before and afters.....

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  109.3 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  104.8 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  116.3 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  99.7 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  109.8 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  136.4 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  107.1 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  128.3 KB

I have all the pulleys polished because they come with a bunch of surface sracthes which is not up to par with what I'm doing. This is not the finish product by any means. I'm not looking to have any bling in my build. This is just the first step of several before I'm done with the final look. The polishing portion was just to get them clean up.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  102.4 KB

Same with the hinges. You could see how when I got them, they had the CNC machined lines. Hence the reason for polishing them. But they wont stay this way.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  109.5 KB

I should have the power steering billet tank by next Tuesday. So stay tuned.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:33 AM   #1150
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Damn Nathan!

I'll be in Anaheim again next April most likely. I'll definitely be taking a trip to meet with you. I'm going to have to see this in person!
Old 06-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #1151
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
lookin good !!!....fyi you might want to chrome the the billet hood hinges as they are hard to get at once there installed. thats why i chromed mine.
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #1152
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Damn Nathan!

I'll be in Anaheim again next April most likely. I'll definitely be taking a trip to meet with you. I'm going to have to see this in person!
572, that would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbbl be View Post
lookin good !!!....fyi you might want to chrome the the billet hood hinges as they are hard to get at once there installed. thats why i chromed mine.
B, I didn't know you chromed yours. I thought they were just polished. The theme I'm shooting for is "industrialist mechanical racing". I'm just polishing stuff to clean them up as a 1st step. I'm still contemplating the final finish but by the time I'm done, the only shining thing will be the ARP bolts (Wwhich I'm talking to a friend about machining them to get rid of the ARP insignia and giving them a brush look.

One look would be to paint them in the same color as the engine bay "satin gun metal gray". Here are a couple of examples.

Name:  1wa.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  fre.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  hgf.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  39.6 KB

The other option I'm considering for the hinges is gray or black anodize.

A big inspiration for my project, is the mechanical look of the V-Max

Name:  2009_Yamaha_V-Max_Engine_2_448p.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  28.1 KB

Name:  2010-yamaha-vmax-1.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  60.1 KB
Old 06-17-2012, 03:07 AM   #1153
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Don't go all the same color; it flattens out the overall look and you lose perceptive/apparent detail. Choose selective contrast; a base color for the engine like metallic dark gray, then various shades of gray on some items, black, gold in very selective spots like a bolt or a small plate. Polished can work in many places if it's used selectively. You can also try safety yellow in a few spots or on a few areas of a piece. Reds work on items that might have heat danger or work as a "warning" color. Yellow can indicate "caution". Dark industrial blues work against a dark metallic gray.

Bronzes and coppers work great against blacks, dark grays and dark blues.

Contrast colors used sparingly can do wonders to bring out detail and give the overall piece a more functional, "industrial" look.

As an example for that hinge with the piston; do the piston rods polished and the piston in bronze, or even an industrial red.

Just some suggestions.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #1154
bmbbl be

nathan in that case ,,,for the industrial look i would do a anadize to go with your theme...
Old 06-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #1155
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Don't go all the same color; it flattens out the overall look and you lose perceptive/apparent detail. Choose selective contrast; a base color for the engine like metallic dark gray, then various shades of gray on some items, black, gold in very selective spots like a bolt or a small plate. Polished can work in many places if it's used selectively. You can also try safety yellow in a few spots or on a few areas of a piece. Reds work on items that might have heat danger or work as a "warning" color. Yellow can indicate "caution". Dark industrial blues work against a dark metallic gray.

Bronzes and coppers work great against blacks, dark grays and dark blues.

Contrast colors used sparingly can do wonders to bring out detail and give the overall piece a more functional, "industrial" look.

As an example for that hinge with the piston; do the piston rods polished and the piston in bronze, or even an industrial red.

Just some suggestions.
Doc!!! those are some great suggestions. I was thinking of redoing the Katech tensioner pulley bracket in a anodizing gold, funny you mention that. I'm also looking to do some custom warning labels in different colors.

Quote:
nathan in that case ,,,for the industrial look i would do a anodize to go with your theme...
B, I would do black anodizing and call it a day but black doesn't have good UV protection and will turn purple. Even under florescent lighting over time. I leaning towards gray anodizing as of right now.

Guys, keep the suggestions coming!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #1156
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I want to relocate my coil packs to somewhere inconspicuous. Does anyone make a good kit? Is this pretty easy to do?

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #1157
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I want to relocate my coil packs to somewhere inconspicuous. Does anyone make a good kit? Is this pretty easy to do?
E.T. go to the OP and scroll to the section "Coil Relocation set-up:". It has hyper links to make it easier to navigate. You also want to to at the section "
Reworking wiring harness:" and clink on 77 and 210 and "Rerouting coil harness:" and click on 71 and 72 and lastly "Relocating Coils" and click on 64. And yes, if I can do it, than it's pretty easy to do.

Hope that helps, if you have any questions, fire away.

************************************************** ************************************************** *******************

Doc, i have a folder with hundreds of pics for references.

Name:  1277.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  119.3 KB

Name:  e36_pulleys.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  167.1 KB

Name:  EVO_Waterpump_Housing_-_Ti-Gray.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  49.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6603.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  katech.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  96.9 KB

Name:  lg345447906.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  64.9 KB

You can see how the gold in small portions create a nice contrast.

Name:  P9210009_1.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  145.9 KB

KJ, this one is for you.

Name:  2011C6woilinintake004.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  69.0 KB

Last edited by Moreno1; 06-17-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #1158
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
I really like those fittings. I wonder if I can replace the fittings that came with the catch can myself or if i gotta send it back to Rx.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #1159
bmbbl be

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjr27 View Post
I really like those fittings. I wonder if I can replace the fittings that came with the catch can myself or if i gotta send it back to Rx.
rx cans are not threaded for npt fittings....you would have to send to tracy to change the set-up
Old 06-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #1160
bmbbl be

nathan my trunk hinges are black anadize..here is a pic
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2012, 03:06 AM   #1161
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
The key to successful "contrasting" is to try and be logical as to what might be a different color and why. For example on this image:

Name:  IMG_6603.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  35.6 KB

It makes no sense for the top of the clamp to be orange; it's completely illogical so it looks out of place. Logically either the whole thing should be orange, or all polished. It would be logical that the bolts might be a different color as they are.

It takes careful thought and study to plan what to do but in the end the whole will be more than the sum of the parts. It will have the kind of look where people will just stare at it for a long time exploring it to "discover" all the various looks the parts have.

It helps to have a theme idea in mind when you begin as I did with "Blue Angel" which gave me an overall look I wanted to achieve.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #1162
Moreno1

Quote:
nathan my trunk hinges are black anodize..here is a pic
B those are beautiful, who makes them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
The key to successful "contrasting" is to try and be logical as to what might be a different color and why. For example on this image:

Attachment 386487

It makes no sense for the top of the clamp to be orange; it's completely illogical so it looks out of place. Logically either the whole thing should be orange, or all polished. It would be logical that the bolts might be a different color as they are.

It takes careful thought and study to plan what to do but in the end the whole will be more than the sum of the parts. It will have the kind of look where people will just stare at it for a long time exploring it to "discover" all the various looks the parts have.

It helps to have a theme idea in mind when you begin as I did with "Blue Angel" which gave me an overall look I wanted to achieve.
Dang Doc, you have an artistic flare! That's some good advice! Your absolutely right, a theme does help you to keep from veering off. Just cause a part or finish looks cool doesn't necessarily mean it will be in keeping with the theme. I find myself redoing things because after giving it careful thought, I realize even though it looks cool, it's not in keeping.

Update on the block: I primer the block to see if it was smooth enough to paint or if there were some areas that would need addressing. I will say it looked killer and most people would had called it a day. But I asked Jeranamo (Owner of USA Metal Polishing) to give me the tools and tips and I would do it myself.

He set me up with three dremels. One had 150 grip cartridge and the second had 220. The 3rd had a grinding stone. He also gave me a block of red rouge compound. Recommended I dip the sanding cartridge every few seconds as a form of lubing. He also showed me how to make my own sanding cartridges. I will get some videos tomorrow and post them of the process.

Name:  IMG_0421.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  161.9 KB

Because it's unavoidable that some debris is going to get in the engine, I'm thinking I'm just going to rebuild the whole engine.