Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #29
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
You say you're about to go out of warranty, and you come into the dealership carrying a stack of TSBs. As a former service manager of a dealership, I can say that we hated guys like you. Not saying what you're doing is wrong, but we had a name for this affliction: "Warrantyitis"

Sounds like you have real issues that need to be fixed, but a lot of times people brought this stuff in to have addressed even though they really didn't have an issue. Rather, they thought they would get a magical upgrade on some part, and didn't want any problems after the warranty expired.

Also, it gives the appearance that you're "looking" for problems.

It's usually best to let the pros find the solutions; dealer service people don't like being told what to do.

However, I would do the same thing that you did, as long as there was a real problem to address. I live by, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
So, first you tell me that I'm a douche, then you admit that you'd do the same thing?

Mainly, it's been like "most of the issues weren't annoying me enough to take it in for just that one issue"..

I wouldn't consider it an "upgrade" if they are just replacing stuff with stock parts.. I kind of know the difference.

If I were attempting to fleece and abuse the warranty, I know enough about mechanics that I'm sure I could find a way.

But, I'm not like that.

I just had a few things annoying me for a while and wanted to bring the car in before the factory warranty expired.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #30
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
You say you're about to go out of warranty, and you come into the dealership carrying a stack of TSBs. As a former service manager of a dealership, I can say that we hated guys like you. Not saying what you're doing is wrong, but we had a name for this affliction: "Warrantyitis"

Sounds like you have real issues that need to be fixed, but a lot of times people brought this stuff in to have addressed even though they really didn't have an issue. Rather, they thought they would get a magical upgrade on some part, and didn't want any problems after the warranty expired.

Also, it gives the appearance that you're "looking" for problems.

It's usually best to let the pros find the solutions; dealer service people don't like being told what to do.

However, I would do the same thing that you did, as long as there was a real problem to address. I live by, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
And it is possible I read your post and got the wrong vibe from it. Email/Forums don't properly convey intent or emotion.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #31
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
In my experience, possibly a mistake telling them what you think is the cause, ona couple levels. One some people will figure you're a know-it-all, for real, and it affects their giveadamn factor. Second, you might put them on a goose chase and that's wasted $ in shop time that they will charge you. Some techs and mechanics resent it when a customer tries to tell them their job

I tell my service managers right up front that I'm a demanding customer that he will feel is a pain in the ass sometime or other...I'm gonna complain when things aren't right, and I'll notice when they aren't right, too, but when he does a good job I'll tell that to him too. I've asked to talk to techs so I can thank them for a good job just as much as I've said "so are you trying to say that your shop is incompetent, and that's why it takes five tries to fix my car?"
Old 04-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #32
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEKFREEKSCOTTY View Post
So, first you tell me that I'm a douche, then you admit that you'd do the same thing?

Mainly, it's been like "most of the issues weren't annoying me enough to take it in for just that one issue"..

I wouldn't consider it an "upgrade" if they are just replacing stuff with stock parts.. I kind of know the difference.

If I were attempting to fleece and abuse the warranty, I know enough about mechanics that I'm sure I could find a way.

But, I'm not like that.

I just had a few things annoying me for a while and wanted to bring the car in before the factory warranty expired.
This is all symptomatic of what is wrong with most all dealerships in this country. Everyone involved from the salesman to the service technicians are paid on commission or flat rate. In the service department in particular they quickly learn that most things done under warranty pay less than where the customer pays. IOW they learn to hate warranty work.

I was a Chevrolet tech for ten years. My nature is to care and do the job right the first time. Unfortunately this business model is not conducive to people like me. I watched other techs make more money than I because their work ethics let them cut corners and get more work out the door.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #33
Blakk11SS

I've read a few posts for the TSB on the Squeaky noise from HVAC blower motor/fan and it sounds ugly. They get up in there under the dash with a saw and cut the blower fan out and then put a new fan assembly in and screw it down. It's been said that it will run quiet for awhile and then begin making noise again. good luck with that one
Blakk11SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #34
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Kudos to you man !! Let them do there f&cking job !! Some of them are always quick to dismiss a customers concerns and such. Hope they do fix everything.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #35
Retro69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakk11SS View Post
I've read a few posts for the TSB on the Squeaky noise from HVAC blower motor/fan and it sounds ugly. They get up in there under the dash with a saw and cut the blower fan out and then put a new fan assembly in and screw it down. It's been said that it will run quiet for awhile and then begin making noise again. good luck with that one
Squeaky blower motors have been around forever. Mine would only do it when it was cold out. So when I took it in to get fixed it was warm and wouldn't do it. They made me bring it back when it was doing it. Its a sixty mile trip for me. I was pretty frosted about that. I mean the service advisor knows I was a Chev tech for ten years and know how things work. Didn't make any difference.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #36
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
My exact experience when I showed them a TSB for an issue my car was having
Mine never heard of Dexos1, and didn't want to know about it. Never went back
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #37
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

My thought was that I might be helping them in case they've never heard about the issues I listed.

I guess I'll still do my research, but keep my item list up my sleeve as a "ace in the hole" in case a dealership tries to tell me "oh, that's just normal".

I do have to reiterate that I've NOT had a problem with this dealership I'm going to. They've been nothing but nice to me so far and have done good work as far as I'm concerned.

So, I'm not anticipating having an issue with things getting done to my satisfaction.

But, based on the advice that some of you that have worked in the service department have given on this thread, I'll keep my research to myself next time and just play the part of a dumb customer. I certainly don't want the dealership/tech to misinterpret my attempt to help out as being an attempt to get freebies.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #38
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
I would not be happy if they just took your list and worked it. just because you have a symptom and there is an issue with that same symptom with a TSP, does not mean you have the problem that the TSB fixes.

I would hope the dealership has at least semi profession mechanics, technicians or what ever the thin skinned folks in the department are calling themselves today, who will do the proper troubleshooting to verify that the symptoms are are from the problems provided TSB's and not something else that is causing similar issues.

Personally, I would of turned the car in, waited to see what they stated, and only then provided the TSB's if the problem's weren't fixed.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #39
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
Squeaky blower motors have been around forever. Mine would only do it when it was cold out. So when I took it in to get fixed it was warm and wouldn't do it. They made me bring it back when it was doing it. Its a sixty mile trip for me. I was pretty frosted about that. I mean the service advisor knows I was a Chev tech for ten years and know how things work. Didn't make any difference.
is the housing accessible on 5 Gens? Fix back in the day was to drill into the unit and lubricate it, as you probably know
Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #40
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
I used to work as a service writer and the second guy in this thread is right, I used to just write a short description to give the tech a idea of what the problem was, sometimes I would staple the customer note to the back of the work order, mostly for laughs because alot of tech's get a little turned off when people try to tell them how to do there jobs...LOL. I know customers were trying to be helpful but sometimes it doesn't get percieved that way by the techs. I know some would look for a few seconds and then toss these things to the side. alot are big on recreating the issue at the time of service. anyone that has ever worked in a service department know how these things go.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #41
Retro69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
is the housing accessible on 5 Gens? Fix back in the day was to drill into the unit and lubricate it, as you probably know
I'm really not sure. I had it replaced under warranty so I had no opportunity to get to know more about how they're put together.

Yeah, back in the day we would give a customer-pay repair the option of drilling and oiling the rear bushing to give them a cheaper way out. Usually worked well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #42
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
was it at sunset????? Yea I have freaked a couple of service departments as well. The one I use down here at baydo's is getting use to me lol. It helps that I have the parts department to the point where they know who I am when I call.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote