Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-30-2013, 02:06 AM   #701
mexiken

Drives: Sofia: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS LS3
Hello,

I'd prefer not to read all 35 pages, as I read a few and can tell there is a bunch of different ways to wire it. Can someone maybe explain what wiring is needed for either the headlights or the dash lighting ????

I'd prefer if the lights come on when I open the door, but more importantly, I'd like them to be on when I'm driving at night, so wiring tied to headlights or dash would be ideal.

Can I use the diagram from the first page and tap into that????
Engine/Performance: Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Rx Catch Can painted IBM, (to come: JacFab CAI, muffler delete/Flowmasters)

mexiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #702
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Yellow wire going to your gauge cluster.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #703
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
Thanks for the great write up! I am a complete beginner with wiring and this install took me maybe 30 minutes, it was extremely easy!
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #704
KalCorp
Space Coast Camaros

Drives: 2012 Camaro Vert
Ok so I had my lights hooked up to the dome lights for a long time now. Works good on and off automatically when doors are open.

However at shows when you turn on dome light it will time out and turn off after time.

Do you think adding another switched 12v line to the dome line will cause a problem ? Don't know if adding +12v to that line that is controlled by computer will back feed and break something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KalCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #705
copper3000
Troy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey64 View Post
Thanks for the great write up! I am a complete beginner with wiring and this install took me maybe 30 minutes, it was extremely easy!
Beautiful!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #706
Bigchiefs1

Drives: 2012 transformer edition
Listen to GEN5DIY!!!!! Best person on camaro 5 !!!!!!!
Bigchiefs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #707
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalCorp View Post
Ok so I had my lights hooked up to the dome lights for a long time now. Works good on and off automatically when doors are open.

However at shows when you turn on dome light it will time out and turn off after time.

Do you think adding another switched 12v line to the dome line will cause a problem ? Don't know if adding +12v to that line that is controlled by computer will back feed and break something.

There's another post about wiring up a on-off-on switch:
You can have it set to work with your dome light and fade, off, or
on using the Accessory wire

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=footwell
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #708
jeremy3721

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Just bought a kit from Ikea that hopefully will allow me to select a color depending on my mood. Installed eBay blue LED's but the difference in color between footwell and dash lights is a little off putting to me. Instead if trying over and over again I thought this $40 kit will take the guesswork out IF I can successfully wire it up.

Last edited by jeremy3721; 02-08-2013 at 02:47 PM.
jeremy3721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #709
jeremy3721

Not sure where to post this request for help but perhaps someone can help get me started.

Related to the multi color dioder kit I bought from IKEA in the post above, I'm trying to understand what modifcations I need to make to hook this up in my car instead of to AC power how it's designed. The in-line transformer inputs at 120V and Outputs at 12VDC 5W Max. In my mind all I need to do is cut the wire at this transformer pictured above (effectively removing it) and wire it in directly to my car via one of the other methods listed in this thread. Should this work or is there more to it? I made the assumption that it would work since I get the same thing from the car electrical system as what the built in transformer would have supplied.

If you can't tell I'm no electrician
Old 02-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #710
a.morblu

Drives: 2011 Sinister SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy3721 View Post
Not sure where to post this request for help but perhaps someone can help get me started.

Related to the multi color dioder kit I bought from IKEA in the post above, I'm trying to understand what modifcations I need to make to hook this up in my car instead of to AC power how it's designed. The in-line transformer inputs at 120V and Outputs at 12VDC 5W Max. In my mind all I need to do is cut the wire at this transformer pictured above (effectively removing it) and wire it in directly to my car via one of the other methods listed in this thread. Should this work or is there more to it? I made the assumption that it would work since I get the same thing from the car electrical system as what the built in transformer would have supplied.

If you can't tell I'm no electrician
You're right. You won't need the transformer if it out-puts 12V. Just snip it off and put a 12V battery on it to test.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #711
jeremy3721

Not sure if anyone cares but I made a quick video of the LED strips I purchased from IKEA today. Seems like a cool solution since I can fine tune the color after installation. The kit cost $39.99. I screwed up the video orientation but whatever

http://youtu.be/1IUnkSeQV04
Old 03-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #712
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
As luck would have it, I was doing some fix'er up jobs around the house and one of them was to install new floor transition mouldings on some of the room door thresholds. I went to the Home Depot and picked up this plastic channel that is used to hold down the "T" shaped piece of floor moulding.

After the job was done, I had some extra lengths of the plastic channel and I thought, "This would be perfect for holding the LED foot well light strips" (that I just received from AAC). Haven't installed the strips yet, but have a look at these pics. The strip fits perfectly within the channel and it will be easy to zap strap them on to the underside of the dash where there are convenient holes. The passenger side is especially helpful cause there isn't a good flat surface for the light strips to be glued to. The footwell strips have 3M double sided sticky on it.

Attachment 165222

Attachment 165223

Attachment 165224

These plastic channels come in 36" lengths.
This is a fantastic tip for mounting led light strips for the foothills. I could not find a good location for the strips then I saw this post. I had some of this laying around from a flooring install and the light strip fit like it was made for this. I put some double sided tape on the bottom of the channel and it was super easy to mount especially on the passenger side where it's tough to find a smooth surface to stick the light strip. The extra mounting surface on the channel made sticking it up a breeze. Thanks for the tip and to the OP for the wiring pics they made the job easy.
zandron263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #713
Blues45th

Drives: 45th anniversary edition v6 3.6L
With the ikea lights. Where did you put the control box?
Blues45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #714
DFWHD

Drives: 45th Anniversary Convertible
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, I finally got around to wiring my AAC / Oracle ABL LED strips in the footwell tonight after they sat in my closet for several months). The hardest part was finding the right size T-Tap and getting on my back with room to work under the dash. Here is a pic of the final result (not the best quality with an iPhone in the dark). I love the new look and the wife actually liked it too when she got in.
Attached Images

DFWHD is offline   Reply With Quote