Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-17-2009, 11:36 PM   #1
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Drives: C5 Vert->CGM SS RS M6->SRT8 Magnum
Onstar discussions (continued from SS shipment hold thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
You do not have to pay your AAA bill.

Every new Camaro comes with OnStar-- and free roadside assistance.

IN THE UNLIKELY EVENT -- let me rephrase that -- IN THE VERY UNLIKELY EVENT that yours should fail -- simply hit the blue OnStar button - we'll be on there within a minute and we'll send in the cavalry to save you - and give you a car to drive in the meantime.
I never really considered OnStar as anything much more than a gimmick, but the more I hear about it the more I like it! Especially after getting stuck between Tampa & Ft Lauderdale waiting for probably 4 hours for our insurance to get a truck to us!
Matt'sSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt'sSS View Post
I never really considered OnStar as anything much more than a gimmick, but the more I hear about it the more I like it! Especially after getting stuck between Tampa & Ft Lauderdale waiting for probably 4 hours for our insurance to get a truck to us!
Two stories that are a testament to OnStar: (I'll make 'em brief)

Grandmother is driving a new DTS and is gassing it up at a service station. A thug comes up -- pulls a gun, pushes her out of the way - jumps in the Caddy and tears out of the gas station........

...................with the 18 month old grandchild in a childseat in the rear of the Caddy.

The Grandmother immediately called 911 and OnStar.
OnStar tells the police that the car is at the intersection of two state highways - -they arrive with lights and siren........

........and no Caddy.
OnStar says "yes...the car is THERE...we'll flash the lights and blow the horn..." -- and over in the bushes the police hear the horn and see the headlights -- grandchild is still in the child seat.

Story #2

Customer is coming down a mountain road in a TrailBlazer - -SOMEHOW she manages to become airborne and clears the guardrail - leaving no marks -- but goes over the ravine -- and is knocked unconscious. OnStar immediately calls - gets no response - and immediately sends help...the TrailBlazer is located and the woman's life is saved....there would have been no way to see the vehicle in the ravine and she would have most likely bled to death....

THAT is why OnStar is so important.
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

Grandmother is driving a new DTS and is gassing it up at a service station. A thug comes up -- pulls a gun, pushes her out of the way - jumps in the Caddy and tears out of the gas station........

...................with the 18 month old grandchild in a childseat in the rear of the Caddy.

OnStar tells the police that the car is at the intersection of two state highways - -they arrive with lights and siren........

........and no Caddy.
OnStar says "yes...the car is THERE...we'll flash the lights and blow the horn..." -- and over in the bushes the police hear the horn and see the headlights -- grandchild is still in the child seat.

Story #2

Customer is coming down a mountain road in a TrailBlazer - -SOMEHOW she manages to become airborne and clears the guardrail - leaving no marks -- but goes over the ravine -- and is knocked unconscious. OnStar immediately calls - gets no response - and immediately sends help...the TrailBlazer is located and the woman's life is saved....there would have been no way to see the vehicle in the ravine and she would have most likely bled to death....

Amen to that! Even in my minor wreck several months ago in my truck, the OnStar operator connected me to (and stayed on the line with) a local police officer. They relayed the information to the department and had an officer on scene pretty quickly. The rep even walked me through a list of DO's and DONT's, such as "dont admit fault, do check to make sure nobody is hurt, etc." It's an awesome thing to have.

Not to mention, I always keep some phone minutes on the account for emergencies, when my cell phone's dead, or times when I HAVE to make a phonecall in heavy traffic.

The geeky side of me thinks it's cool that my truck has its own phone number

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Quote:

........and no Caddy.

Story #2

Well we may be shopping for a new vehicle for my wife shortly as well (We'll find out for sure after her doctors appt on Monday ). We were looking at the Flex (need room for dogs & people) but I may have to take a look at the new Equinox instead!

It's amazing the things you can live your entire life without caring the least little bit about for yourself become some of the most important things to you overnight.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:

........and no Caddy.

Story #2

The stories are great, and I do agree OnStar has some value, but I think the price is still too high to renew after a year. All I would want is the response to airbag deployment or service if the car broke down, since I have a cell phone (with bluetooth), I would not want the telephone function of OnStar. So I believe there should be two packages offered - one for all the functions, and one just for safety for like $10.00/month or less.

If GM/OnStar was REALLY creative in marketing, since they already use Verizon Wireless' network, any Verizon Wireless existing customer (like me) should get a substantial discount on the OnStar, or the OnStar minutes be part of the customer's existing cell phone plan.

In either case, most people do not have the desire (or financial means) to pay $40.00/month for their cell phone and another $30.00/month for what amounts to a very safe but nonetheless frivolous car phone.

My Mom absolutely loved the turn-by-turn and restaurant locater when she bought her 2007 Lucerne. My parents travel alot. But when it came time to renew and they told her $300.00 for the year, she told them to shove it and bought a Garmin with bluetooth to sync to her phone.

But if there was a substantial discount, or a way to work the OnStar plan into her Verizon account, she would have done it in a heartbeat.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

I had no idea it would be that expensive, $40 / month? I've got other gadgets to handle everything else, I just like the safety & security side of it.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
56chevywagon

Drives: 10 Camaro SS - 03 Silverado SS
$40 is not the cost of OnStar. My wife currently has the Safe and Sound plan through OnStar and we are only paying $18.95/mo for her 06 Malibu Maxx SS. The car phone plan minutes are separate...you purchase the minutes separately from the OnStar plans. For the Directions & Connections plan like what we got its:

Directions & Connections
Model Year 2007 and Newer Vehicle Pricing:
$28.90/month* or $299/year (plus tax)

And the Safe & Sound plan is:

Safe & Sound
$18.95/month* or $199/year (plus tax)

This was taken directly from the OnStar website.

As far as the phone sharing Verizon's network...I really do not think that is true. I have seen nor read anywhere that supports this. I can't say that they don't. I would have to say that they wouldn't be sharing considering no matter where you are you can always make calls through the car phone which tells me that it is a satelite supported phone carrier not a tower to tower. Just my $.02.

2003 Silverado SS - Mods: Polished Radix S/C 3.10 pulley, Jerry's Transmissions Inc (Sprayed99) Built Tranny, Yank TT3000 Stall Converter, MSD Super Conductor 8.5 Wires, Airaid box w/ K&N Cone Filter, Flex-A-Lite 282 Elec. Fans, Flowmaster 50 Series Mufflers, Helwig Rear Anti Sway Bar, and a Shopman SS Bowtie.
2010 Camaro RS/SS- VIN 9852 - 2SS, RS Package, Inferno Orange w/ Cyber Gray Stripes, Inferno Orange Interior Accents, Body Color Engine Covers, Sunroof
56chevywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
A little search pays off http://solutions.vzwshop.com/onstar/

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
56chevywagon

Drives: 10 Camaro SS - 03 Silverado SS
OK, so you just showed me that OnStar is compatible with Verizon and that you can share minutes...that does not tell me that Verizon is the provider for the OnStar phone service; just that you can match the two. After reading through it...OnStar is not provided through Verizon but you can use your Verizon minutes with a specific plan through you Verizon family plan.

2003 Silverado SS - Mods: Polished Radix S/C 3.10 pulley, Jerry's Transmissions Inc (Sprayed99) Built Tranny, Yank TT3000 Stall Converter, MSD Super Conductor 8.5 Wires, Airaid box w/ K&N Cone Filter, Flex-A-Lite 282 Elec. Fans, Flowmaster 50 Series Mufflers, Helwig Rear Anti Sway Bar, and a Shopman SS Bowtie.
2010 Camaro RS/SS- VIN 9852 - 2SS, RS Package, Inferno Orange w/ Cyber Gray Stripes, Inferno Orange Interior Accents, Body Color Engine Covers, Sunroof
56chevywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56chevywagon View Post
$40 is not the cost of OnStar. My wife currently has the Safe and Sound plan through OnStar and we are only paying $18.95/mo for her 06 Malibu Maxx SS. The car phone plan minutes are separate...you purchase the minutes separately from the OnStar plans. For the Directions & Connections plan like what we got its:

Directions & Connections
$28.90/month* or $299/year (plus tax)

And the Safe & Sound plan is:

Safe & Sound
$18.95/month* or $199/year (plus tax)

This was taken directly from the OnStar website.

As far as the phone sharing Verizon's network...I really do not think that is true. I have seen nor read anywhere that supports this. I can't say that they don't. I would have to say that they wouldn't be sharing considering no matter where you are you can always make calls through the car phone which tells me that it is a satelite supported phone carrier not a tower to tower. Just my $.02.

Serves meright for listening to the first guy to throw a number up

That's great to hear, I was figuring it would probably be around $15 a month, I can deal with $19 / mo or $199/ yr ($16.58).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullger View Post
A little search pays off http://solutions.vzwshop.com/onstar/
Good to know! Now if only they'd get the iPhone
Old 07-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #11
NUCAR

Drives: 68 big block
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt'sSS View Post
Well we may be shopping for a new vehicle for my wife shortly as well (We'll find out for sure after her doctors appt on Monday ). We were looking at the Flex (need room for dogs & people) but I may have to take a look at the new Equinox instead!

It's amazing the things you can live your entire life without caring the least little bit about for yourself become some of the most important things to you overnight.
The new Equinox would be a great choice. Beautiful interior with Camaro radio and electronics. Another Onstar story...a customer coaches a girls softball team. After the game they hit the blue buttom and get a turn by turn routing to the closest Rita's Water Ice for the post game "debrief". Would this be in your "navi's" POI database......I think not.
NUCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Quote:
You do not have to pay your AAA bill.

Every new Camaro comes with OnStar-- and free roadside assistance.

IN THE UNLIKELY EVENT -- let me rephrase that -- IN THE VERY UNLIKELY EVENT that yours should fail -- simply hit the blue OnStar button - we'll be on there within a minute and we'll send in the cavalry to save you - and give you a car to drive in the meantime.
He's right.

Early one Sunday morning, went out to get a paper, vette push button switch falles into dash

Pressed my OnStar button and with in an hour a flat bed showed up and my vette was "properly" handled and deposited at my local Chevy dealer

BTW, I caused the problem when I installed the body colored dash pieces and didn't reseat the starter switch correctly, but Chevy covered the whole event.

That's why my son bought a new Camaro, I bought the wife a new SRX and I'm out shopping for a used Z06.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #13
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Good to hear
Old 07-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #14
HeatherR

Drives: 2009 CTS, 2008 Solstice GXP
I know that Verizon offers a way to add a line to your account that is your Onstar phone. I am not sure if they offer a discount (I qualify for employee discount for Onstar, so I never checked).

Verizon sent information out a few months back, but my daily driver is a Saab and Onstar was not available. I do have Onstar in my Solstice, but only drive it during the nice months--and I live in MI, so that parks it for too long to worry about using the Onstar phone.

So, if you do use the phone a lot adding a line for $10 a month is much cheaper than buying minutes from Onstar (If you are a Verizon customer).
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote