Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
Rally Stripe Opinions & Part Number needed

Well I got my first rock chip(s) on my hood yesterday. I really didn't want to put Rally Stripes on my car but at this point even after touching up the chips I guess my mind has been changed to cover them up better.

Mine is IBM so I am thinking maybe Silver stripes would look the best but any photo's of other colors on the IBM to change my mind would be appreciated. Also there are lots of aftermarket stripes available, any one recommend one brand over the rest? I was leaning toward the Prostripes by Sharpline from Summit Racing because they state they are UV protected and claim a seven year warranty. Thoughts and opinions are welcome on all aftermarket stripes.

The rock chips are about 3 inches off the right edge of the raised cowl hood.

Anyone have the Gm part number and rough pricing for the factory stripes in silver?

How hard are they to install at home?

Last edited by Shu71; 07-18-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Shu71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
GMpartsdirect.com has all the part numbers and prices. I got a GCM set from them and installed them myself. The trunk is easy, the hood is quite tough. I messed up one of my hood stripes, and luckily found another one online to avoid having to buy another complete set.

The key to the hood is to watch the videos on youtube and have a helper hold it taught on the outside edge when squeegeeing the area of curves on the cowl scoop. I made the mistake of trying it myself and squeegeed over a wrinkle, ruined in a split second. On my second try having a helper hold the outside edge tight really helped and the second install went perfect. I'll call the first try a learning/practice experience.

The warranty is different too depending on who installs. If a GM dealer installs an accessory, it is under warranty with the rest of the car for 3/36. If you install it yourself, it will have a 12/12 warranty. And any problems I'd bet they will blame on the install. Where as if a dealer installs it - they can't blame you for problems.

The GM ones come on real nice backing templates that help line up the stripes. I'd get those over aftermarket. Also on the touch up spot, make sure to wet sand and buff it real good. The slightest defect under the stripe will show.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
Well GMPartsDirect.com does not have the rally stripe kits, they only sell the pieces according to their website and they only carry black, white and grey (which I assume is cyber grey). Any other suggestions on where I can buy the whole kit in silver since the prices for all the individual stripes is outrageous on gmpartsdirect.com even if the grey were silver?

EDIT, ok so I found the part number and will google sources.

FYI Part Number:
92225517 = silver stripes
92225513 = black
92225519 = grey
92225515 = orange
92225521 = white

EDIT#2 wow $375 for the stripes from GM???? I may have to stop by a body shop to see how much they would charge to fix the chips. I already touched them up and used 3000 grit wet sandpaper and smoothed out the touch up paint and then polished with two grades of polish but the spot where the rock first hit actually dented the hood ever so slightly. This metal is thin/weak crap. It doesn't look horrible but you can see the small dent now at the right angles and I guess I am a little anal about it but it's bugging the heck out of me.

Has anyone tried the Summit Racing catalog stripes and can give feedback?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLC-2010-058/

Last edited by Shu71; 07-17-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Found the part number and now prices
Shu71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
OSOEZ4U2NV

Drives: Black 2011 SS Convert.
I bought mine from Phoenix Graphics, I can't compare them to any others because this was my first set of stripes. We installed them ourselves and it was a drag i tell ya!
OSOEZ4U2NV is offline   Reply With Quote